3 Steps to Peyote-Stitched Peace

Nov 8, 2010

Kristal Wick
Kristal Wick
is the editor of
Beading Daily

As I spent the last weekend of October dressing my dogs for Halloween and making my holiday gift list, I had a major earth-shattering realization: there was no way I'd get all these handcrafted goodies done by December 25th of this year! Ah, yes, I DID start in July since I run out of time every year, but I didn't have my newfound seed-bead addiction factored into that equation. I mean, seriously, seed beading does take more time than some other jewelry-making projects, but so gratifying and highly entertaining (I love beading on an airplane, at a staff meeting, or even an occasional happy hour with my buds!).

So, here's my solution to this earth-shattering realization: no one on my list is getting their gift by the "HO HO HO" day this year. Nope, I can see that train wreck coming just like last year . . . I pore over seed-bead designs deciding which on goes to which BFF (I have quite a few) until the wee hours of the morning, try to stay awake at work all day, then quickly flit to my fave bead stores purchasing tubes of delightful colors for each design, dump out my goodies, ooing and ahing over these wannabe masterpieces, again creating night after night (with the red-rimmed eyes to prove it) seed beading my little heart out. At first it's fun, is it not? Beginning a new project is the best part to me.  But, this joyful endeavor turns into more of a chore, the stress sneaks up on me little by little until I find myself cursing the dickens out of those tiny beads as my puppy tips over yet another tray of size 15s I get to sort AGAIN (she's colorblind and simply no help whatsoever).

I vow to make this year different! I'm making color copies of each gift, wrapping it up in a pretty little box, and gifting them to my buddies. They'll get these beauties in 2011 (I promise). Now, I can enjoy the holidays, beading away in front of the fireplace with my puppies, hot chocolate, and a snuggly blanket. Finding peace in our creativity is truly the gift, not the actual physical end result. My new plan for holiday gift giving sounds kind of radical, doesn't it? I've done a bit of soul searching in this area and decided the joy and peace I feel when creating something I love for someone I love is the whole purpose of giving, so why rush it? Why get caught up in the fast pace of the shoppers and the malls, buying, buying, BUYING? I declare seed-beady peace this holiday season, at least in my tiny corner of the world. I invite you to share this new tradition with me and embrace the reason we all REALLY bead . . . it feels good and we love it!

My love for peyote stitch still burns brightly, so here's my latest creation (in progress), inspired by Best of Beadwork 12 Flat Peyote-Stitch Projects.

1. Create Peyote-Stitch cuff. I used four different-colored size 8° seed beads (black matte, gray matt, pink metallic, and smoky clear).

2. Stitch on a strip of Swarovski hot pink crystal mesh.

3. I'll finish up with a simple crystal fringe, sew on some snaps, and gift it to my BFF who LOVES pink and black.

Join me in finding your beady peace with inspiration by Best of Beadwork 12 Flat Peyote-Stitch Projects.

Come bead with me!

Creatively,

Comments

on Nov 8, 2010 9:50 AM

Hi Krista,

I love your idea of the photos with the idea that they get the present during the year. Our family has had a homemade xmas many years, and now we make and exchange scrapbook pages. From an expert "non-finisher" don't set yourself up for guilt in the coming year.

I wanted to make gifts for my nieces so I actually took my project box and let them pick out something from my already made goodies. They loved it, and actually choose things that I never imagined them choosing. And I see them wearing them during the year.

Just another idea to the holiday gift giving deadline...

Marge

Bobbie@69 wrote
on Nov 8, 2010 10:24 AM

Kristal, I am so thrilled to see your words...'seed bead peace" in today's article. I teach seed bead work at Oasis in Tucson and the name of my class is "I'd Like To Teach The World To Bead..." My idea is that if everyone worked with these tiny treasures, no one would fight or war or hate... there would simply be no time for it and no need for it when the wonderful glow surrounds the beaders. My students pour over your magazine for inspiration, but I teach only techniques and we make our own designs. Thanks for all the seed bead inspiration!

Bobbie Guillory

crowboysmother@cox.net

BarbaraP@25 wrote
on Nov 8, 2010 11:35 AM

Hi Krista,

I love to read about your adventures in beading and seeing how you interpret designs!

I am interested in the product you mention today, referred to as Swarovski Crystal Mesh. Can you tell us more about this product and maybe where it is available? I have never seen this before.

Thanks!

Barbara

starrydog wrote
on Nov 8, 2010 1:04 PM

I liked to idea of giving the photo first. That way you have time to complete the project properly.

Where can I get the crystal mesh? I need to have some of that!

pamonhill wrote
on Nov 8, 2010 3:19 PM

I love your idea for making the cuffs.  It sounds interesting.  Any suggestions for an absolute beginner?

Currently, I do a little stringing, and mostly wire, chainmaille, and metal.

I, too, am interested in the crystal mesh.  I just spent half an hour online trying to find it.  No luck.

Kristal Wick wrote
on Nov 8, 2010 9:23 PM

Hey gang,

I've had so many inquiries about my Swarovski crystal mesh, I need to give you an update on obtaining this FAB product. Of course it is a Swarovski element called metal trimmings #52000. I used this product in hot pink (the pic does not do it justice!) and you can hop on over to this link for a listing of stores that carry this item:

www.create-your-style.com/.../Events--Stores.en.php

My bad for showing you elements that aren't readily available at the big box chain stores, but that's part of my job: showing you the latest and greatest on the market in elements, components, color pallets, and trends, right?! So search away for these beautiful metal trimmings and post any update you may find along your way.

Keep on sparkling,

Kristal

memorybeads wrote
on Nov 9, 2010 5:35 AM

Would love to send you a peyote stitch 3 D christmas tree ornament pattern for free to see if i am making these patterns right.  I do stained glass but wanted to see if my computer graphic skills would fit this type of pattern design as well.  Love your chatty newsletter style, have a great day,  mm at  memory-beads

Victoriabee wrote
on Nov 9, 2010 2:43 PM

I love your simple but quite elegant bracelet pattern using peyote stitch. But I'm also baffled, being not super-experienced at this -- how did you get smooth looking edges all around (on the base peyote-stitched band), while using peyote stitch?  I have no clue.   Thanks for sharing,  VB

Joann Walker wrote
on Nov 9, 2010 4:47 PM

looking for tamara scott designs for her bracelets ?   pattern play challenge for beadwork mag  . joann walker at  lazzylazerd@yahoo.com

Kristal Wick wrote
on Nov 9, 2010 8:06 PM

Victoriabee,

What do you mean? Super smooth around the edges? I used size 8 seed beads and made sure my tension was super tight. All you newbies are right there with me as I just learned how to seed bead stitch 3 months ago so I am by no means an expert. It's just really fun and portable.

What do your peyote stitches look like?

starrydog wrote
on Nov 10, 2010 4:01 PM

Kristal,

Thanks for the link for finding the crystal mesh. But, it didnt help. There are only a couple of stores in the States listed. None in California and there are no web sites listed.  Or am I just not looking the right way?

Kristal Wick wrote
on Nov 11, 2010 7:54 AM

Hey Gang,

I'm working on finding you a retailer that sells the Swarovski crystal mesh. I'll keep you posted.

Bead on,

Kristal

monkeydo1958 wrote
on Jan 25, 2011 2:43 PM

Kristal,

What is Swarovski crystal mesh??

I need help getting my peyote toggle right. My loop is great, but the bar is not. I put a bicone on each end and they feel loose, unstable and don't look even or straight. I am using instructions from different patterns I've found in "Beadwork" and other magazines.

HELP!!!