Wireworking Wonders with the Masters

Jun 21, 2010

My, oh my, does this shindig look like a grand time! Playing with this winning bunch of wireworking masters couldn’t be more entertaining. Wonderful wire and metal techniques for all levels from beginner to intermediate will be explored October 28-31, 2010 in Dana Point, California. The venue is right on the southern California seashore (sign me up!); not to mention all the classes are with these crème de la crème instructors of the wire world. Hang with fellow wire worshippers and attend great events such as the meet the teachers reception and presentations on Shoot to Sell and How to Etsy.

We all scream for ice cream

While you’re strolling Laguna Beach at the event and pondering new wireworking designs, be sure to grab a cone.....Grab one for your teacher while you’re at it. Here’s some of their fave flavors:
  • Sharilyn Miller: Chocolate mint chip
  • Lisa Niven Kelly: Peppermint stick with hot fudge . . . duh!
  • Janice Berkebile: Häagen-Dazs caramel with sea salt or licorice
  • Susan Lenart Kazmer: Orange and vanilla twist

Gotta say I’m with Lisa Niven Kelly on this one!

Riveted Links Bracelet
and Rings by Tracy Stanley

Eeeny meeny miny moe

Which classes to choose? I’ve personally taken classes from some of these folks and really enjoy the fact that they bring so many different aspects of wireworking and metal manipulating expertise to the table. Here the masters and some of their classes:

• Janice Berkebile is teaching basic low-tech repoussé and chasing techniques.
  • Lisa Claxton offers intermediate wire crochet and wire shaping, weaving, coiling, and beaded bracelet embellishment.
  • Connie Fox has a Bewitching Bracelet class teaching heat texturing and fusing sheet metal with a torch.
  • Mary Hettmansperger has some simple cold connection bezels and torch-firing techniques.
  • One of Susan Lenart Kazmer’s classes offers Ancient Techniques on New FrontiersWeaving Metal Structures.
  • Dallas Lovett has some wire weaving with seed beads and crystals.
  • Sharilyn Miller’s classes are filled with wire wrapping, texturing, and light metalsmithing techniques.
  • Lisa Niven Kelly has wire weaving and double spiral link patterns,  to name a few techniques.
  • Tracy Stanley’s forming, riveting, sawing, stamping, and coiling classes will keep you busy!
  • Barb Switzer offers some arty focal toggles, bracelets, and Crystal Sandwich Pendant classes.

Fruit of the Vine
by Janice Berkebile

Wire Crochet Medallion
by Lisa Claxton
  All the teachers are looking forward to meeting the other teachers and students, except for Lisa Niven Kelly, who jokingly said she is “looking forward to going skinny dipping in the ocean with all my students on our lunch break . . . nah.  I am looking forward to a show of nothin' but wire . . . wire all day, wire comin' atchya from all directions. Creating, learning, and teaching with these amazing instructors and students should prove to be an overwhelmingly inspiring experience!”

Be sure to visit the event website for more information on the Weekend with the Wire Masters.

What’s your fave ice cream flavor? Let me know lickedy-split on Beading Daily.

Comments

on Jun 21, 2010 11:32 AM

My favorite ice cream is Moose Tracks, Yum Yum.... Bobbi, Pa.

mbcreations wrote
on Jun 21, 2010 11:52 AM

Why is it that no square wire is included in this "Masters Wireworing" event???  I mean, gee whiz, isn't Dale "Cougar" Armstrong on of your published artists???  Not everyone does round wire and to leave her out just doesn't seem to be a fair example of including all known "Wire Masters".

on Jun 21, 2010 12:01 PM

I didn't know that there were other flavors than chocolate.  Ben & Jerry are my fantasy men.!

SherryW@23 wrote
on Jun 21, 2010 1:38 PM

My favorite is coconut with hot fudge!!!

robbsl wrote
on Jun 21, 2010 3:13 PM

Definetely agree with the Moose Tracks!

Sandy21774 wrote
on Jun 21, 2010 10:03 PM

My absolute favorite is coffee ice cream.  Now I want some LOL.

Labs4Me wrote
on Jun 22, 2010 8:55 AM

My favorite is dulce de leche, preferably Haagen Dazs, though I can't pronounce it properly.  I always have to ask my daughter who took Spanish in school!

JanineB@7 wrote
on Jun 22, 2010 1:36 PM

Moose Tracks is my favorite Ice Cream

Janine

on Jun 23, 2010 12:23 AM

Baskin-Robbins Pralines and Cream.  Nothing like it!  I can't go to the show and haven't had any BRP&C since I moved to Minnesota.  Would someone drop some off for me on your way back east??  Thanks!

megm3271 wrote
on Jun 27, 2010 6:30 AM

Neapolitan Ice Cream - I adore the classic Vanilla, Strawberry and Chocolate combo! As far as this weekend is concerned - I am checking out the website now! Looks like a lot of fun......and I do love the seashore!

on Oct 30, 2010 6:51 PM

Iam a big fan of Dale Armstrong's wire jewelry I have not seen any thing like it sense I took up make wire jewelry 8 years ago. I just pre-ordered the illustrated guide to the art of wire wrapping. Iam looking forward to learning some things from her.

I few months ago I bought the definitive guide to selling handcrafted jewelry that included the hot workbook guide to selling your jewelry and it was packed full of great stuff alot of things I already figured out for myself there was a few I didn't know so its been helpful. I also just wanted to thank you for offering that book and DVD of Dale Armstrong's. I was wondering when you would get her talk about her work and that's so awsome I love all the wire stuff you've been bring onto the site I look forward to checking my email.