Learn Peyote Stitch with More FREE Patterns!

Mar 12, 2010
Leslie Rogalski Spacer 5x5 pixels Are you trying to learn or improve peyote?
When I first tried to learn peyote it drove me nuts. Those first rows twisted around, and for the life of me I couldn’t figure out the fix. And why did they call all the first beads strung the first TWO rows? I couldn’t understand why everyone loved peyote, but I was determined to find out what I was missing. I had to learn why everyone thought peyote stitch was so cool.

The best peyote tip
What brought me around was a simple trick I have to share again, because it is the best trick ever if you are trying to learn peyote stitch. String the first two rows of beads, even- or odd-count. Run another long needle through every other bead, starting with the second bead strung. Put clips on the end of the needle to keep it from sliding out of your row of beads.

Spacer 10x10 pixels
Spacer 10x10 pixels

Isn’t it clear which beads are the “out” or “up” beads for your next row of stitching? That needle pulled the beads in your first row into position so your rows won’t twist. Work another 3 or 4 rows, then gently remove the needle from the first row.

Variations to try
Use this needle trick in your peyote stitching today, in minutes, when you download our 7 Peyote Stitch Patterns eBook. It’s absolutely free for Beading Daily members. Start with super-easy rings, then discover a cool way to work in odd-count peyote, get a great tip for expanding rows of circular peyote, learn to read a charted pattern, and more. There’s even a blank chart for you to create your own patterns. These variations will take you to new levels in your technique and design possibilities.

Spacer 5x5 pixels
Finger Food rings by Leslie Rogalski are a perfect project to start learning peyote. Photo by Frank DiSantis.
Spacer 10x10 pixels
Spacer 5x5 pixels
It’s easy to see why The Illusion design by Julie Ann Smith may be our most popular project ever.
Spacer 10x10 pixels
Spacer 15x15 pixels
  Spacer 10x10 pixels Keep peyote stitch the queen of seed-bead stitches and download
7 FREE Peyote Stitch Patterns from Beading Daily. Then please share your own life-changing peyote tips with everyone on Beading Daily.

Comments

cindyLevanna wrote
on Mar 12, 2010 9:58 AM

Love the free 7 patterns.It took me a while to figure out peyote but it has become one of my favorites. I took me even longer to learn to mix colors. Thanks for the info.XD

~cindy

mevs wrote
on Mar 12, 2010 10:33 AM

great selection of patterns, Leslie!

I had previously downloaded the original five patterns, but the Pearly Mosaic and the Confetti Spiral are fabulous additions.  I always love your rings!

Meredith

Julie@355 wrote
on Mar 12, 2010 11:31 AM

Leslie, until I came across your "2nd needle method" several years ago I just COULDN'T get peyote stitch. I always thought it was going to be the one stitch that mystified me. It's been my favorite stitch ever since. I can't thank you enough for that tip. (Neither can my family and friends!)

~ Julie :-)

salla2 wrote
on Mar 12, 2010 2:37 PM

Best thing for Peyote stitch is an eraster. You can use a sharp needle to pull your thread through it to use as a bead stop, then use a pin with a head to pull out the first row as described, push the end of the pin into the eraser to keep it in place. This method helped me to learn how to keep my tension correct.

Patriciakoko wrote
on Mar 12, 2010 3:05 PM

Funny thing...I must have learned that trick from you in the past because I have used it and it it the ONLY THING that makes peyote endurable.  Thank you.

ShelleyH@3 wrote
on Mar 13, 2010 7:37 PM

I love the colours and pattern versatility.

slatts wrote
on Mar 14, 2010 10:59 PM

I am a "newbie" having just joined and I hope I can find some useful items on this site. My original beading consisted of loom work, mostly all of it in SW patterns. After awhile working with the delica beads became extremely frustrating and I started looking for a new form of bead work. In "surfing " the web I came upon a site that showed small garden type banners being made with pony beads in peyote stitch. The patterns available on different sites do not offer many SW type patterns, but a lot of seasonal holiday scenes. i have copied some amulet patterns and converted them from delica to pony beads and on occasion to "wee" pony beads. The bottom line is just this: Are there any people in this group who have any interest in this type of beading? Does anyone know where I could find more SW patterns for purchase? I would appreciate any help I could get regarding my beading projects and still intend to remain a member of BEADING DAILY as I find the site very informative and plan on using one of the free bracelet patterns for a wall hanging. Thanks for your help........

slatts

Janet@256 wrote
on Mar 17, 2010 9:25 AM

I am trying to maser the "Banded Tapestry Cuff" from the 7 free patterns. The mterials call for size 15 seed beads and size 11 cylinder beads. I cannot find or understand what the size11 cylinder beads are. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

Angel@35 wrote
on Mar 20, 2010 4:51 AM

Thank you, Thank you! here we go again...I can't wait to try this, I have been trying to learn this technique going on 1 month now....I don't know why I'm not grasping what seems to be a very simple technique. My beeds always seem to get all tangled up when first begining...it frustrates me so that I quit.

Damyjo wrote
on Mar 21, 2010 10:33 PM

I am so tickled i finally beaded with peyote stitch. My first try was with pony beads i made a cuff bracelet just so i could see what i was doing now i'm on to seed beads i beaded my first ring and a bracelet Thanks Leslie for showing me the basics i am going to be beading more and more peyote stitches then on to a new one i want to try the twisted next Thanks again.......................... Damyjo

Chris@337 wrote
on Mar 28, 2010 10:19 PM

I am a new beader and may have discovered an easy way to start the first 3 rows of Peyote without feeling like you have 12 thumbs. I was trying to learn right angle weave(double needle) and made a slight mistake. Instead of going thru the single bead in the opposite directions I went thru in the same direction. Like this:

1 tread with a needle on both ends, string 3 beads, then take a fourth bead and thread both needles through it in the same direction, then string 1 bead on each thread, again take 1 bead and string thru with both threads. If you look at the illustration Leslie has above from RIGHT to left you will see how the thread would go. You then have the 1st three rows with the up beads already obvious. Continue as you would peyote from there with only 1 thread. The other end could be worked in the opposite direction or just woven in to secure it.

Chris V.

on Apr 4, 2010 8:34 PM

A better way (in my humble opinion) to begin peyote is this:

String the first two rows in your pattern.  Take a scrap piece of beading wire - anything you have - Accuflex, tiger tail, etc.  Run your beading wire through the very last bead strung, skip a bead, then through the next bead.  Continue skipping a bead and through a bead until you reach your stop bead......

The beads you have run your beading wire through will be your first row.  Your second row now pops up so you can begin stringing without the twisting you encounter without this method.  Plus you have something to hold onto for the next few rows.  Just slide out the beading wire when you want to.

OR try the two needle method of beginning peyote.

gems and stones (aka Senora Loca)

Helen@174 wrote
on Apr 10, 2010 11:01 AM

One of the things I found useful with peyote stitch was demonstrated on Bead magazine's online tv channel.

To make it easier to count the beads in a complex design, or to start a narrow piece of beading the presenter made a 'starter strip' of peyote.  At regular intervals she picked up a second colour of bead, then stitched the strip until it resembled a ruler.

I made mine to indicate the position of every 10th and 20th bead.

You sew the FIRST, and ONLY the first row, of the pattern to the strip.  It helps to do this row in a different thread to the one you intend to use, then the SECOND and subsequent rows in the design thread.  Once the pattern has been established, you separate the starter strip from the piece of work by gently pulling out the contrasting thread.

Hope this makes sense!

Laritee wrote
on May 28, 2010 12:32 PM

The ebook on 7 Free Peyote Stitch Patterns and 5 Free Beaded Necklaces cannot be downloaded.  If you can help redo.

on May 29, 2010 11:17 PM

I just found Beading Daily tonight and joined and downloaded the free  peyote patterns.   I learned flat even and odd count peyote not too long ago and I LOVE it.  I am looking forward to learning new patterns and beginning to make my own.  Thank You, Thank You!

Dawnstar wrote
on Jun 11, 2010 10:08 PM

The needle through the first row in peyote stitching really is a lifesaver. Especially if you have chubby fingers like I do and have trouble tiny seed beads.

SherryFox27 wrote
on Jun 29, 2011 11:47 AM

J.R.---

I do a variation on your suggestion.  I however found that using a safety pin works for me.  Because there are no sharp edges, and the safety pin has more "height" which allows me to hold my work easily and firmly even at the beginning of a project.