Odd-count Peyote Trick PLUS Free Peyote eBook

Jan 28, 2010

Leslie ROgalskiCombine for convenience
Two of my favorite stitches are peyote and brick. The funny thing is, they look almost identical. The beads fit together in the same pattern.  Brick looks like peyote turned on its side, or the other way around. They're just stitched in a different way, and brick stitch makes a slightly firmer piece of beadwork than something worked in peyote. Because of this similarity, it’s easy to switch from peyote stitch to brick stitch in your beadwork.

Add a row for odd-count peyote symmetry
Many artists prefer working in the slightly speedier even-count peyote to avoid doing the twisty turn needed in every row in odd-count.  But, they want the symmetry afforded by odd-count peyote. So they work a piece in even-count, leaving the last row out of their work––and add the last side row in brick stitch. Neat trick!  Can you more experienced beaders tell which is which in these photos? Bet you can't! (Answer below.)

Spacer 10x10 pixels
Spacer 10x10 pixels
Simple switch from stitch to stitch
It’s easy to turn even-count peyote into odd-count with a row of brick. Simply start working brick off the side of your peyote strip:
Spacer 10x10 pixels
Spacer 10x10 pixels
Spacer 10x10 pixels
1: At the end of your peyote
stitching, weave through the beads
to exit the end of the row.
  2: String 2 beads––always start a
row of brick with 2 beads––and
pass your needle under the threads
bridging the beads beneath in the
previous row.
Spacer 10x10 pixels

Spacer 10x10 pixels
3: Pass up through the second
bead just strung.
  4: Pull snug and complete the
row stringing 1 bead at a time.
Continue to work in brick or peyote
to expand your piece.
Spacer 10x10 pixels

FREE peyote eBook!

Want to play with peyote and try the brick trick for odd-count? Download our Beading Daily collection of 5 easy peyote projects, including the rings I wear on Beads, Baubles, and Jewels that so many of you have been asking for.

Spacer 10x10 pixels
Seed Bead Fusion
Combinations of stitches are fun whether they are shortcuts or enhancements. For some striking examples of stitch and material combos check out Seed Bead Fusion by Rachel Nelson Smith. And, her unique color combinations may be convenient solutions to your design decisions.
Spacer 10x10 pixels

Which stitch was which?
The peyote-stitched sampler is on the left at the top and was used in the step shots, too. Let us know if you have other peyote tricks you can share, right here on Beading Daily.

Comments

FerneS wrote
on Jan 29, 2010 6:27 AM

When I tried to download the free e-book, the message came up that the file was dmaged.

Ferne

gladys cohen wrote
on Jan 29, 2010 6:44 AM

Love the "Beading Daily" and editor LESLIE. I look forward to catching it every time I get a chance.

GLMC

misswicked wrote
on Jan 29, 2010 8:26 AM

When I tried to download the ebook, I got the message "This file is damaged and cannot be repaired."

Babs@30 wrote
on Jan 29, 2010 9:35 AM

Leslie, I really enjoy your features on Beading Daily and I've seen your Doodle Beads DVD...you're a wonderful teacher!

Barbara Briggs

www.BarbaraBriggsDesigns.com

whiteheart wrote
on Jan 29, 2010 10:47 AM

After numerous unsuccessful attempts to teach peyote stitch to my beading students I finally designed a way to get past that wiggle-worm strand of DNA-like first few rows that make starting so difficult.  Start peyote stitch with three different colors of beads that will be removed later. I start by stringing alternating black and white beads.  If I start with a white bead I end with a black bead and I know I have an even number of beads on the strand. Then I string a red bead, skip the last two beads (the black one and the red one I just added) and go back through the white bead that is third from the end of the strand.  I continue adding red beads skipping the black beads and going through the white until the end. I tighten the whole thing up and with this base I am ready to start my pattern.  Once I am into the pattern 1/2 " to 1" I remove the white, black and red beads.

With the differnt colors it is easy to see which bead to go through and keeps the beginning few rows from getting twisted and confused.  This works for round as well as flat peyote.

JoniStro wrote
on Jan 29, 2010 10:52 AM

Leslie, I read the same odd-count Peyote/Brick stitch trick in one of Beth Stone's new books.  Did you both come up with this idea independently and just happen to publish it within the same year?

Joni Strother

San Jose, California

Mimzie wrote
on Jan 29, 2010 3:46 PM

This is what I love so much about the beading community...the sharing hearts!! I have tried this before...it works!!

Mimzie wrote
on Jan 29, 2010 3:48 PM

My daughter is the computer smart 1 in the family.. See if you can copy and paste it, rather than down load it! That is what she did for me!! Hope this helps.

on Jan 29, 2010 4:23 PM

Great tip, Leslie!

Melinda

on Jan 29, 2010 9:11 PM

Joni--I've been doing this for years, and I bet so has Beth. It's been around a while, and worth repeating for new beaders. :-)

I'll look into the technical glitch with the download,

And thanks to GLMC and all of you who follow my blogs!

on Jan 29, 2010 9:15 PM

www.beadingdaily.com/.../showcontent.aspx

Try this link to the download page.

CandyW2 wrote
on Jan 31, 2010 5:20 PM

I'm glad you identified the two samples.  My observation was that the left one was a tighter more even looking weave.

Bob Woodruff wrote
on Feb 2, 2010 12:33 AM

I found a sample of a peyote stitch & brick stitch graph paper in this news letter but when I went back later I wasn't abable to find it. Can anyone help me?

on Feb 6, 2010 12:32 PM

I tried to down load my 'free' peyote ebook but the file was damaged and could not be repaired according to my computer.  I would like to see these patterns listed separately so that I could print them or down load so that I could try these projects.

Foxfyr64 wrote
on Feb 7, 2010 10:19 AM

I would like to download the file but nothing comes up.  I don't even get an error msg. just (3) three blocks in the upper left corner of my screen and the word done in the task bar.  Help! Anything that could be done here or am I just out-of-luck?  Thanx in advance guys.

solocar54 wrote
on Aug 20, 2010 2:56 PM

the photos and clear instructions in this article have encouraged me to try beading. I have lots of beads but never had the confidence to try beading. I usually find the instructions daunting, so thank you for this article