How to Become a Stitch Pro

Jan 13, 2010

New for Beadwork in 2010

I get a kick out of seeing the reaction on some people’s faces when I tell them what I do for a living. “I design, teach, and write about beading.” Yep, it’s an unusual job, all right. It came about from my inborn curiosity about how things can be constructed by tiny elements. Over the years, it’s been a delightful challenge to delve ever deeper into the medium, learning through texts, other beaders, vendors, and antique beadwork, so that I can share my discoveries with people like you. One new way I get to do this is through a new column in Beadwork magazine called “Stitch Pro."  In each column I’ll show new beaders how to do a basic off-loom technique, then pizzazz it up a little for those fellow experts out there, in hopes of being a catalyst for experimentation.

Want to become a Stitch Pro, too?
Most people new to beading don’t realize that there are stitches beyond peyote and brick, and that even within those two stitches there are dozens of variations to learn. Here’s a quick checklist of the most popular beadweaving techniques. Why not use it as a syllabus as you become a Stitch Pro, too? Track down each technique, try it, then master it. You can get expert instruction, free beadweaving patterns, and additional ideas on bead stitching six times a year with Beadwork magazine.

Technique

Fringe

• Simple fringe

• Branch fringe

• Looped fringe

• Twisted fringe

• Netted fringe

How many of these stitches do you have checked off your list right now?  Which ones aren’t on the list, but you’ve got them mastered? Check out Stitch Pro in each issue of Beadwork magazine to start and master all the stitches on your list.

Comments

Terri@136 wrote
on Jan 13, 2010 1:19 PM

I am new to beading and cannot find a magizine that focuses on beginners, does anyone know of any?  thanks

kepps5464 wrote
on Jan 13, 2010 1:44 PM

I found the magazine "Stringing" was helpful for me in the beginning.  Happy Beading

kristine@31 wrote
on Jan 13, 2010 1:44 PM

Thanks Jean! I like everything that you write. Always you make a contribution for our work! Don`t stop writing.

Rebekah209 wrote
on Jan 13, 2010 1:54 PM

Step by Step Beads is the best "beginners" beading magazine I've come across.  Good thorough directions, simple but nice designs.  I'd recommend it.  Good luck!

Kassieinman wrote
on Jan 13, 2010 2:28 PM

I would also add a section on bead embroidery stitches.  Great article!

Kassie, The Beading Butterfly

AndreaM226 wrote
on Jan 13, 2010 2:35 PM

This is a scary list for a non-weaver like me.  I wouldn't even know where to start. Optimism months ago has ensured that I have most of the required supplies but yikes where to start?

On September 24th Rebecca shared a bracelet in Readers Showcase that she had done in tubular herringbone stitch in dark copper and metal seed beads with a pine cone charm that I absolutely fell in love with.  Is this a difficult stitch to master?  I'd just love to to do something similar.  It was such a simple and elegant bracelet, and VERY inspiring to me.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for learning this stitch or should I start with something a little more simple.

Thanks,

Andrea

LizW@32 wrote
on Jan 13, 2010 3:11 PM

I like the idea of the chart but being a total beginner I found the chart a little daunting from the pictures.  I clicked on thepicture expecting it to be enlarged so I could see it better but no it remained same size.  |Also having it numbered  from start to finish perhaps on the enlarged picture might have been a good idea too; especially for beginners like myself.   Otherwise the chart idea is an excellent one.

towertal wrote
on Jan 13, 2010 3:29 PM

Chart is an awesome idea.  Would love to see an indepth video tutorial built around this chart showing all the stitches and how to decrease, increase, make openings, etc.. Also agree empbroidery stitches would also be great. Can't wait to read Stitch Pro - I just subscribed for 2 yrs mostly based on hopes for these stitch instructions.

Dollie Cs wrote
on Jan 13, 2010 4:30 PM

Hi. how can i get the issue that showcases the woven bracelets on the cover that is shown in the add for a new subscription?

debi@65 wrote
on Jan 13, 2010 4:43 PM

This is a really organized way to help me try new techniques. Thanks!

on Jan 13, 2010 7:14 PM

Love this list - very handy for my beading "bucket list".

It would be great if you could add "double spiral", "St. Petersburg", and chevron.

Thanks,

Ellen

babylou wrote
on Jan 13, 2010 7:25 PM

Love the Stitchpro list.  Being between craft shows and summer shows, I am trying as many stitches as possible this dreary winter.......lots of rain here in Oregon.

on Jan 13, 2010 8:50 PM

How can I down load the chart so I can keep track as I learn the ones I don, Know yet ?   NightPheonix@gmail.com

Nancy Oswald wrote
on Jan 14, 2010 5:46 AM

Thanks Jean...I love your beadwork and your writing; you are an inspiration to all of us in the beadworld.

RoseS@30 wrote
on Jan 14, 2010 5:46 AM

I don't see a couple of other techinques that I've worked with: tubular right-angle weave, chevron stitch, 'russian snake', and st petersburg chain.

this last can be a fun one. here's a link to a multi-layered cuff I made: www.ravenstarjewelry.com/.../B325.html

carolee1945 wrote
on Jan 14, 2010 7:30 AM

I would like to print this chart, but without all the other text.  I tried copying and pasting to an email to myself, but the stitch diagrams did not show up, just a blue box with a question mark.Any ideas how to do this?

Also, I totally agree Step by Step Beads is the best magazine for beginners, but I think it is ending publication. I wonder why.

Lou Ma wrote
on Jan 14, 2010 7:41 AM

Jean, you are always such an inspiration.  Thank you for all you do.  I love the chart; great idea.  Lou

MarieG10 wrote
on Jan 14, 2010 7:53 AM

I love the chart.  Thank you Jean.  For those asking about printing it.  I just selected/highlighted (drag across all of the chart with left mouse button held down) it and did a copy (CTRL+C), then opened MS Word and pasted (CTRL+V) and then saved the Word doc.  Came out great.  Can you tell I'm a computer teacher.  :-)

Annster wrote
on Jan 14, 2010 8:38 AM

I'm very new to beading techniques and would like to see more detailed instructions for adding clasps.  I've just been learning the St Petersburg stitch, but don't see how to add a clasp, either by using a manufactured one or by making a beaded one.

danake wrote
on Jan 14, 2010 9:55 AM

Hi Jean,

I am new to the beading world and find your writting wonderful.  I love this website - so much information!!  I few of my friends liked my projects and wanted me to sell them my beaded necklaces to them.  Would you know if there are copyright laws pertaining to use of the free downloabable patterns used from this website? By all means, I do not want to get into trouble and wanted to ask before I sell the items I make.

Thank you again for your instructions and encouragement!

DE

Spynr wrote
on Jan 14, 2010 1:19 PM

I've copied a lot of things to MS Word before and had good results.  It's not working for this chart.  It's all broken up.  I guess I'll make a chart and copy and paste the segments into it.  I wish there was an easier way to print this out.

KlistaH wrote
on Jan 14, 2010 1:29 PM

Like the chart, however can it be added to the website as a pdf or word file?  The suggestions provided in the comments for copying don't keep the table formatting.

Also Step by Step Beads Jan-Feb 2010 was the final issue.  The editor refers readers to Beadwork magazine.

decomama wrote
on Jan 14, 2010 3:38 PM

Can someone please address how you bead from a pattern if you

are left-handed. I have looked for years and have not seen any

information on this problem and I know that I am not the only one.

Janice

whiteheronstudio@yahoo.com

Cat@45 wrote
on Jan 14, 2010 4:07 PM

I was wondering if this chart could be put in PDE form so it could be printed out and used.

danake wrote
on Jan 14, 2010 4:29 PM

Hi This is Danake and I sent a question regarding copy right law.  I found on the FAQ that you would have to contact the designer of the pattern if you were thinking about selling the jewelry yo made from their pattern.

Thank  you!

DE

BrigidH wrote
on Jan 14, 2010 5:39 PM

An easy way of printing the table is to use www.printwhatyoulike.com and you can enter your web page to print, or you can go here www.printwhatyoulike.com/bookmarklet to put it in your bookmarks and print web pages by clicking it. You can use the Isolate button to click on the parts of the page you want to print and it has options of printing or saving to pdf or word as well! I managed to print just the table using this or you can save for later printing. Hope that helps anyone finding it hard to print the table.

Tammy Dufek wrote
on Jan 14, 2010 8:25 PM

Thank you for the information on the stitches.  This chart will help me on mastering the different stitches.

Bprice5633 wrote
on Jan 14, 2010 10:28 PM

If any one want a really great book - and it showes you how to most if not all of the stitches it is called Teach Yourself - Visually Jewelry Making and Beading by Chris Franchetti Michaels. I would tell anyone old or new to beading it is a must for there collection

Darklady

eskanos wrote
on Jan 15, 2010 3:02 AM

The publications are wonderful-that's how I learned- but you should also check your local bead shop for classes. I work and teach in a lovely shop in Overland Park, KS and love to show newbies the stitches.

DeBorah L2 wrote
on Jan 15, 2010 10:59 AM

I've always been a kneedle artist since childhood, doingevery thing from counted cross stitch to quilting. So when I noticed bead weaving, I was naturally intrigued.  To me the easiest stitch to learn is peyote, I learned how to do it by following the instructions in a good book  The more intense stitches like Nedebele/Harringbone, I had to take classes for.  I have still yet to conqure single kneedle right weave.  So depending on whether you are good at following instructions by reading or you need hands on instruction.  I suggest you ask at your local bead store for any information on classess and or find some good instruction books that you can learn from.  That's what I have done and I am still learning and perfecting.

TheresaA@6 wrote
on Jan 15, 2010 5:14 PM

Definitely one to print out and thanks to those with suggestions how to.  I agree it would be great as a PDF.

Tried quite a few of those stitches and like most beadweavers I have my favorites but I like the idea of trying circular herringbone next.  Might be fun to try to learn a few at a time, incorporate a few into one project.

on Jan 16, 2010 5:46 AM

Jean: thanks for such a great chart to "chart" one's progress!  Great idea!!  I agree with some others' comments about the stitch-types to add... but we can probably do that ourselves the old-fashioned way (pen and ink sound familiar to anyone in this computer age? lol)

To AndreaM226: I too, several years ago, had gathered & bought a lot of supplies, but was a little overwhelmed about how to get started.  Take a class? Read a book/magazine for how-to?  But when I found a bracelet that I fell in love with a couple of years ago, in tubular herringbone stitch - that gave me the inspiration I needed to teach myself, starting with that one stitch.  It took a few tries (using step-by-step instructions from a magazine from 2006), but I didn't give up.  I haven't stopped since!! However, the best book I have ever found - and I'm SOO glad I bought - is Carol Huber Cypher's "Mastering Beadwork - A Comprehensive Guide to Off-loom Techniques" published by Interweave Press, 2007.  It contains the most stitch types I have ever seen in one publication; better yet, the instructions are accompanied by super-clear and easy to follow illustrations -- the best I've ever seen in ANY publication.  I've learned stitches from this book I had never heard of at the time I purchased it!!  Also, being on a super-tight budget, I don't have the funds for classes - but I haven't had to take any, and have been able to learn so much from this book (and of course have lots of inspiration from my Beadwork magazine!), that I haven't been able to stop beading!!

I hope you, and anyone wanting to get more detailed step-by-step instructions on a wide variety of off-loom stitches, tries this book, and has as great a time beading as I've had from it!  HAPPY HAPPY beading, everyone!

indre@2 wrote
on Jan 17, 2010 6:43 AM

Jean Campbell has got to be THE best writer in beading history!!!!!!! Ever since I started to read the blog every day on Beading Daily a few years ago, I am continually amazed at her articles and writing style. Thank you for being so entertaining AND  helpful!

mdlsystems wrote
on Jan 21, 2010 11:56 AM

Is this chart available in pdf formate to download?

JenniferL@73 wrote
on Jan 24, 2010 7:00 PM

This is an extremely useful list, thank you. I notice there are several 'sculptural' stitches. Where can I get instructions about these please?

Jennifer

North Queensland, Australia

lilia@6 wrote
on Jan 27, 2010 8:34 PM

I love beading. Having the guides given especially for the stitches make it easy for me to do some projects

chrissi@3 wrote
on Jul 13, 2010 1:20 AM

further to the comment on Stringing I don't see that magazine in the UK and I wonder if it's any good for the experienced beader, I used to get Bead and Button and Beadstyle, but after getting them for a couple of years, they never had anything newin them for me to learn from them  I get Art Jewelry  and Lapidary Journal Wire Artist from our newsagant on order, but he doesnt always get them, (I missed the may issue), and unfortunately I can't afford the overseas postage charges to subscribe which I know would prevent this, as in the UK where I live, at the craft-fairs and school fetes they believe if you make it yourself you can sell cheaper than the shops, or even at the end will give things away, which means I don't make a big living from my beading, I do try to be different but sometimes it is hard to compete with the bought in stuff on price too, I would like to get more ideas which is why I joined here, but I wish more of the magazines were available in the UK, like colored stone for example

Larry.Linson wrote
on Feb 24, 2011 10:27 AM

To those asking for a "beginner" magazine -- "Stringing" has simple projects, but also look for beading books targeting those who are just starting.  There are so many, and many so good, that I won't recommend specific ones -- maybe Jean will come up with a list from her publisher(s).

That is a neat chart... but maybe I am "more demanding" than others --  I'd like to have a copy that I can maintain in electronic form, which the Adobe Acrobat ".pdf" format does not permit.

Larry

on Feb 27, 2011 4:21 AM

I agree with Larry.  This is a great list, but I'd love to have it in electronic form - maybe be able to save it as a .PDF?  Actually, I'd love to have all of my beading magazine subscriptions come to me in electronic form rather than paper.  I just don't have room for all the beading magazines I have now (maybe 9 years' worth of them), but I'd hate to throw them away.

Also, someone suggested adding Chevron and St. Petersburg stitches, and bead embroidery stitches to the list, and I agree that would be awesome!

I always love to read your Beading Daily posts, Jean - you rock!

Joanna@68 wrote
on Apr 18, 2011 2:01 PM

The above chart was created with Excel, not word.  I think you will be more successful in creating a printable or storable table by copying to Excell.

kathie49 wrote
on Apr 18, 2011 4:01 PM

This is a GREAT list for beginners and advance beaders alike. I can do some of the stitches but not all. I work more with WIRE and BIG beads than sead beads. I subscribe to several BEAD magazines and Step by Step Wire jewelry, I LOVE them all. Then really inspire me!

REBECCAR45 wrote
on Apr 22, 2011 6:02 PM

For those new to beading and looking for a good magazine, Beadwork is the best since they discontinued Step by Step beads. It has very good instructions for all levels and the projects are marked for difficulty. My suggestion is just dig in on one of the patterns you like, they really are not as difficuslt as they look. If you learn better by demonstration take a class at a local beadstore for your first project until you get the hang of it then you can fly solo from the magazines.

REBECCAR45 wrote
on Apr 22, 2011 6:13 PM

Also in the back pages of almost all the beading magazines is a step by step illustration guide of how to do all the stitches in that issue.

IRENE CASEY wrote
on Mar 3, 2013 2:29 PM

help! HELP!! help!   I need to find a certain issue of Beadwork that Jean Campbell wrote an article regarding herringbone stitch with some embellishment.    Thank you !!  :)