Find the Seed-Bead Resource that Fits your Learning Style!

Dec 9, 2009

Spacer 10x10 pixels How Do You Learn?

Like many of you, beadwork wasn't my "gateway craft." You know ... the craft you first really got hooked on. The one that turned the extra closet in the hallway from a nice place to store winter coats and hide holiday presents into a Fred Flintstone -­-style nightmare, complete with-not falling bowling ball -­-shaped rocks, like Fred's-a few stray balls of yarn and leaking bags of beads.

I learned from another beader
My gateway craft was metalsmithing, but it wasn't until I was sitting at my sister-in-law Maria's kitchen table as she beaded that I found my true craft addiction: off-loom beadweaving. One nice thing about the way I learned to bead was that Maria showed me how to do it, step by step and shoulder to shoulder. I like to learn this way, but as an editor, writer, and teacher I understand the importance of all the modes of learning.

Learn how you learn best
Learning to beadweave is not as hard as some people think. It really comes down to knowing how you personally learn best. This way you can choose a way to learn beading to make it easy for you. Here are some different ways of learning, to help you see what works for you.

Watch a video clip from Doodlebeads now!

Hands-on learner
If you're like me, you learn best from another person. Classes are obviously a great option, but so are instructional DVDs. Try one like Leslie Rogalski's Doodlebeads, where she outlines the mechanics of 12 popular stitches such as peyote, brick, even right-angle weave. Leslie uses lively conversation as she draws out the thread path right in front of you on bead diagrams, then shows you how it looks when you actually stitch with beads. You can see the doodle, then the beads. Plus, Leslie has samples of the stitches using all different kinds of bead sizes and shapes. She really gives you a good look at each stitch. It's a DVD, so you can pause it where you need to, coming back for your next step when you're ready. DVDs are like having your own teacher on demand.

Spacer 10x10 pixels Visual learner
Visual learners are the most common type of craft learner. Visual people like to have the support of diagrams, illustrations, photographs, and figures to get them through a project. To learn beadwork stitches this way, use the figures and photographs in the Techniques sections of books and magazines such as Beadwork. Doodlebeads has downloadable diagrams just like the ones Leslie uses in her videos. This tubular herringbone diagram is an example of one of the clearly drawn illustrations in Doodlebeads that helps make it easier to learn beadweaving.
Spacer 10x10 pixels
bead sample from Doodlebeads video Spacer 10x10 pixels Text learner
If you learn best from reading instructions, you're a rare bird, but I sure do appreciate you! Publishers, editors, and instructors go to great lengths to create clear and concise how-to text, in books, magazines, and in all our digital projects. Doodlebeads has step-by-step text in its downloadable pages. Visual learners, you can use the clearly worded instructions on those downloads to help support your progress as you study photos such as this one, typical of the beadwork samples demonstrated in Doodlebeads and shown in our magazines, books, and online projects.

What kind of learner are you? How did you learn to bead–from text, drawings, or a live (or virtual) teacher? Tell us what works best for you!

Comments

AletaBeadz wrote
on Dec 9, 2009 6:18 AM
My journey with off loom beading began with a purchase of a few small beads I bought to add to a greeting card. Then I started looking at the bead department at all the pretty beads. My husband and I took a stringing class at the local hobby store. I asked about learning how to use seed beads and I was told it would take hours to learn how to off loom bead. I learned how to off loom bead by purchasing various magazines, books and watching videos. Then I start a project and if I get stuck, I refer back to the reference material that I currently have on hand. If one does not want to purchase books, a good resource is the public library.
Belinda@21 wrote
on Dec 9, 2009 6:26 AM
I enjoy all kinds of learning but my favourite is visual. I have a book which is written in a foreign language with drawings ad\nd i make my beadwork by looking at the pics. I also worked for a craft club and used to rewrite some of the instructions so that it was easier for our crafters to understand. I used to get many "thank you''s as a result of this service I provided.
SCB1 wrote
on Dec 9, 2009 8:05 AM
I guess that I am also a visual mixed in with a little text. I can follow any diagram but a few words help also. I am not a real good at hands on but if that is the only source I have I will use it. I once took a bead crochet class, which turned out bad. Still don't like to bead crotchet I just can't get it to work right. I have seen the Doodlebeads and it does work for me. I teach some basic stitches and I try hard to come up with words that will stick, so that a student will remember that word and it will bring an image to mind.
OraS wrote
on Dec 9, 2009 8:33 AM
My first time was in class. It wasn't planed - I saw a notice and found it interesting. Very quickly I found myself drawned to the matter. I also learn from text and drawings but live (or virtual) teacher is my preferred way.
arthouse wrote
on Dec 9, 2009 1:59 PM
Definitely hands on! I have become a fan of Leslie's teaching on Beads, Baubles & Jewels. Watching her Doodlebeads youtube video made me think I could actually do the stitches. No suceess for me. It was definitely NOT Leslie, it was me! I am just coming to the end of my Beadwork subscription & still have not master any beading stitches. I see so many gorgeous projects & haven't been able to do any of them. Leslie's style of teaching is so sweet & simple. I just wish I was sitting next to her having the lesson! :) Maybe one day it will all sink in, I sure hope so! Thanks for such an inspirational magazine though!
Tabatha3 wrote
on Dec 9, 2009 2:29 PM
I am a Visual mixed with Text learner. I don't do to well in classrooms, I need the teachers undivided attention. I've always been that way especially throughout school. I am definately a self taught beader.
on Dec 9, 2009 2:35 PM
My beading learning curve greatly accelerates with the combination of: visual lesson (show me), following step-by-step directions with very clear illustrations (also visual), and of course, applying the steps (learn by doing.) This is why I enjoy classes and DVD's (btw the Viking Wire Knit is very well done -- I highly recommend it.) Once I've learned a stitch, I can download printed directions or follow a pattern in Beadwork just fine. Thanks for such terrific resources to fuel the beading beast in me!
CharmaineD wrote
on Dec 9, 2009 2:53 PM
I started beading as a complement to my embroidery (which is still my main craft), taking a peyote stitch Christmas ornament class, and a bead embroidery class, both of which I very much enjoyed. Further off-loom techniques were learnt from books & magazines (as were fancy knitting stitches, years ago), with pictures, diagrams & text all working together for me. And though I am mainly a visual & text learner, a class or teacher will provide the necessary 'kick start' to try something new, and in some cases is essential - French Knots & Bullion Knots being a case in point!
LenoreT wrote
on Dec 9, 2009 3:16 PM
I think I'm visual with a lots of text thrown in. I use my reference library if the current instructions are not working for me. Persistence is primary! If I can't make it work I look closely at the instructions and illustrations to work the piece bead by bead. Lots of *** pieces litter my bead table! I've been to three classes in my five year dances with seed beads and they were helpful in the beginning. I am aware that people have differing learning styles and think about how to explain or demonstrate a stitch in a way that makes sense to the individual. Due to distance and slow network connections (country Australia) on-line demo's are not a reality for me. So thanks to Beadwork for inspiration and learning.
skyedaughter wrote
on Dec 10, 2009 5:33 AM
I'm really a hands on and visual learner. I literally have to have someone walk me through the steps in person in order to remember. It's as if I learn through body memory. My daughter first taught me to do bead stringing, and a friend taught me to make fringe earrings. I'd really like to learn to do more with seed beading.
MarieG10 wrote
on Dec 10, 2009 8:18 AM
I am definitely a visual and text learner. I started off loom weaving after my husband brought me a SBS magaizine from Interweave. I've been totally hooked ever since. I love diagrams and text and enjoy the challenge of figuring it all out. I watched one of Leslie's videos on YouTube and she is fantastic. Her diagrams are WONDERFUL, but I need it on paper to review as I work. I found fooling around with rewinding videos frustrating for me. I wasn't aware that Doodlebeads has downloadable instructions and diagrams. I guess I'll check them out now.
on Dec 10, 2009 4:28 PM

I wish I could sit next to each and every one of you and draw the stitches. even my father said he think he can do peyote stitch now! I'm so happy that DoodleBeads is helping so many people have their eureka beading moment!.

I'm getting ready to do ten more DoodleBeads for Beads, Baubles and Jewels, so the party is just getting started! Hope you all enjoy the DVD and remember to download the pages to have by your side.

--Leslie

on Dec 10, 2009 5:48 PM

I was a quilter and took 3 workshops with Nancy Eha at the Chicago International Quilt Show 3-4 years ago. It was a combo of personal assistance, video, her handouts and book.  My first project was a collar from an 1857 ladies magazine using seeds & bugle beads.  Interpreting a 150 year old pattern was not easy, but I am self-taught with crocheting so pattern reading doesn't seem to be all that much different than reading music.  Once you learn the language... the rest is history!  A friend did the same thing at the quilt show this year and is excited to start with her first beading class.

Bajasinski wrote
on Dec 14, 2009 7:16 AM

My gateway craft was counted cross stitch.  Off loom beading is just a natural fit.  I learn from both written instructions and diagrams.  I started seeing projects in Beadwork that I liked and made them.  Without realizing it, I was learning off loom beading.

trinadragon wrote
on Jan 14, 2010 9:51 PM

I learn with a mixture but I need more motivation really finish a project. Most of my jewelry is simple stringing but I want to do all of the stitches like brick stitch, peyote, herringbone,etc. I just need a project that can get me excited enough to chance it with my 17 month old daughter trying to take my beads when I am working on a project.

ShaMic wrote
on Jun 24, 2010 9:53 AM

I've been beading for a little over two years and I have never taken a classes.  Every technique I've learned I learned by watching videos (Youtube and other free online videos), magazines, and by reading library books. I have to see a picture along with the instruction to be able to comprehend.

c_olvera62 wrote
on Jul 3, 2010 7:34 PM

I learn mainly from text but there are times when visual is nice