Design Wire Jewelry with Attitude!

Nov 18, 2009

Spacer 10x10 pixels

Keep it together with wire.

It’s my birthday this week and, according to a friend, I’ve officially arrived to the point in my life where people will start saying “Yes, Ma’am!” when I ask them to do something. Boy, if she’s right, I’m really looking forward to it: “Do your homework.” "Yes, Ma’am!" “I’d like a discount on that, please.” "Yes, Ma’am!" “Rub my feet.” "Yes, Ma’am!" Wow—this is going to be good.

Spacer 10x10 pixels

To fully embrace this Yes Ma’am! period, I may need to make myself a bold piece of jewelry. You know, something to go with my new firm attitude and red hat. To design for my new attitude, I planned thoughtfully, with purpose, considering each element for its meaning as I lay them out:

I’ll start by featuring this Steampunk-style heart I just received from polymer clay artist Jeannie Dukic. Even though it’s still sweet (it IS a heart, mind you), all that hardware makes it pretty kick-butt, just like the new bold outlook I’ll supposedly wake up with soon.

Crystal pearls will go perfectly with the heart, and their ageless luster will remind me that getting older is just a state of mind.

I'll incorporate these found objects, not only to reflect the flavor of the focal pendant, but also as a nod to my past years.

Spacer 10x10 pixels Spacer 10x10 pixels

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 I turned to Step by Step Wire Jewelry for a way to tie it all together.  Subscribe to Step by Step Wire Jewelry and discover for yourself why I was inspired!  As I leafed through my issues I decided to use colored copper wire for my birthday necklace. Colored copper wire turned out to have all kinds of good birthday reminders for women of a certain age:

Spacer 10x10 pixels
  • It’s available in several different widths and gauges, just like the wide selection of jeans sizes in my closet.

• It's very soft and bendable, but can be work-hardened with a plastic or rawhide mallet. I'm guessing all those upcoming "Yes, Ma'ams!" will be a little like getting work-hardened, at first.

• It can be coiled, knitted, woven, looped, wrapped and bent but still has a good memory; it can still be straighted out with a good pair of nylon-jaw pliers. For a woman, sometimes all you need to get straightened out is a bar of chocolate. Yes, Ma’am!

• Colored copper wire doesn’t tarnish or fade. Aw, now isn’t that the best birthday reminder of all?

Did you find inspiration in Step by Step Wire Jewelry to make a design with purpose, as I did this week? What else about making wire jewelry reminds you to keep a good attitude? Please share your thoughts here on Beading Daily.

Comments

JKD Studio wrote
on Nov 18, 2009 9:14 AM
Jean, thank you so much for featuring my steampunk-like heart and for you birthday no less. I'm honored and filled with pride and joy. You will never fade. You'll be shiny and bright always. "I HEART YOU" Happy Birthday, jeannie dukic P.S. Your peers will never call you Ma'am only the cashiers at Target.
MelindaB@14 wrote
on Nov 18, 2009 9:55 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEAN ~ I can't wait to see what you do with Jeannie's Steampunk Heart, your description is perfect. Please make sure & share with us all.
cbreul wrote
on Nov 18, 2009 10:05 AM
Happy Birthday ~ may this year be filled with joy and happiness! I can't wait to see what you create with Jeannie's wonderful heart.
Lynne@77 wrote
on Nov 18, 2009 12:51 PM
Dear Jean, You must be turning 40. That is truly the age where finally you figure you that you don't have to take nothin' from nobody. You WILL love your new status and the attitude that goes with it. The new project idea perfectly reflects the coming new you. (Wait until you hit 50--Life just gets better and better!)
on Nov 18, 2009 1:18 PM
Ah, Lynne, thanks for the compliment, but I'm now closer to the big 5-0 than ever. I agree...life gets better and better!
on Nov 18, 2009 2:51 PM
Jean, What a great article! You sure know how to mix in some great humor. Your birthday is going to be beautiful (and what a great idea to make yourself a birthday necklace)! :0) Happy Belated Birthday!
robbsl wrote
on Nov 18, 2009 5:05 PM
Hi Jean! Just want to add another birthday wish to you! I love how you associate with the copper wire, and also your positive attitude toward what it means. I'm right there with you! Actually, I do have a story of inspiration to share. I had made a cross as a gift for a friend who was going through a really hard time with cancer treatments. After she passed, I named the design after her. While working on the tutorial to teach it, every shape it took in the process of forming it, step by step, had something in it to remind me of her, and her faith, even through all that she had endured. Even as her body became weak, she remained strong, and she has taught me so much about what matters in life, and gives me hope and courage to remain focused on those things. I may not have put as much thought into all of this if it hadn't been for sitting down to create the tutorial that was supposed to be for teaching others. The most impotant thing that I seem to be learning is that there is so much more to learn! I too am curious to see your finished piece. Have fun!
JSmaz wrote
on Nov 19, 2009 12:21 AM
Happy birthday Jean, and way to go Jeannie! I recognized that heart as soon as I saw it. Please share your necklace when it's done-I'd really love to see it. Nice article!
Kathryn Tyre wrote
on Nov 19, 2009 9:43 AM
Happy Birthday and many more for each will add new dimension to your aspect. I love the copper because it exemplifies the autumn of my life. I see the beauty in small things-- a fall leaf clinging tenaciously to an empty branch, golden glow on every scene that only comes with a fall sun and spikes of color on limbs rising into an azure sky. It is also a time of new beginnings, since at 62 I began making jewelry and discovered a whole new world to investigate and enjoy. I wish this for every woman--that she will discover some new way to continue giving life in every stage she passes throuugh.
JamieN@3 wrote
on Nov 19, 2009 11:28 AM
Happy Birthday wishes, Jean. I turned half a century this past June and made a commemorative piece for that as well - it has made the piece an especial favorite that I won't be selling. Can't wait to see what you come up with to compliment this funky and fabulous heart! I've no doubt it will be inspiring. :-)
AZSundog wrote
on Nov 19, 2009 1:29 PM
I can't wait to see the finished result! Every year on my birthday I take the day off work and take myself out to do whatever I please -- shop, see a movie, etc., but I always have wine & shrimp cocktail at lunch. Now I think I'll add making a piece of jewelry! You must not be that old -- unless every time you go to a Dr. they say, "Well, you know at your age ..." I also just realized that for the first time in my life I am older than the sitting president. I'm not sure how I feel about that...