Creative ways to organize and display your favorite jewelry

Sep 28, 2009

Storage Ideas for your jewelry

We make lots of jewelry but we wear even more. Wearing jewelry is energy in motion–– put it on, take it off, change outfits, change jewelry. Did you ever get all decked out and then spot a piece you forgot you had peeking out from the clump of stuff in your jewelry box? Or you want to wear something but can’t find it in the mess piled on your bureau? I really want to have all my jewelry out, because everything gives me ideas for new pieces. I came up with solutions that work so well, a co-worker once asked me if I had my jewelry hanging with my clothes in my closet, because I always matched! (I considered his thought but didn’t want my jewelry hidden in the closet!) I also asked a few other jewelry-makers how they organize their jewelry. Once they stopped laughing, they sent me pictures of their solutions. And though I suspect some cleaned up for these photos, they clearly offer good storage ideas especially for strung pieces, to preview, protect and prevent tangling. So peek at the pretty, witty, clever, handy, but oh, so practical ways we keep favorite pieces safe, on hand, ready to wear, and in view, to delight and inspire us.

Outside the box

A real jewelry box holds small bags of jewelry for Merle White, the editor in chief of Lapidary Journal Jewelry Artist and the editorial director of Interweave’s Gem & Jewelry Group. As a frequent traveler, she protects things in small plastic bags and silk drawstring bags, sorted by type of jewelry or by what she last traveled with. She packs jewelry right in their bags, and when she comes home she puts the bags back into the jewelry box.

Hanging out

I have a ton of jewelry-literally! To keep the heavy pieces from damaging smaller works, I hang the big beads on a clothes tree, and pile bulky bangles on it, too. I love looking at the cascade of color!

A room of their own

Being a prolific jewelry designer, Denise Peck, editor in chief of Step by Step Wire Jewelry and senior editor of Lapidary Journal Jewelry Artist, needed something very large. The various baskets and boxes on her dresser were overflowing. This full-length mirror armoire was just the thing. Only problem now––it's full and her dresser is again piled with baskets and boxes!

Color coordinated

As my co-worker suspected, I do have a way to keep my jewelry organized to be easily coordinated with my wardrobe. First I sort like-color suites (necklaces, bracelets, some earrings) in clear baggies, and store those in a clear chest of drawers. Each drawer contains specific colors to match the colors of clothing I wear most.

Public displays of affection

Danielle Fox, editor of Stringing and Best of Stringing, uses select, commercial jewelry displays for a stylish way to keep her favorite jewelry handy and organized. Why not? The same decorative stands used by jewelry artists at shows and exhibits look just as lovely on a dresser or table, and are available in so many styles. These birds and branches suit Danielle and her fashionable flair so well!

Marlene Blessing, Editorial Director, Books, displays jewelry as part of the décor of her home. These bulletin boards are displayed for hanging jewelry and other interesting bits. But only her most favored pieces get worn by an antique dress form from St. Louis, the gilded "Mrs. Hudgins!"

Keep these great jewelry storage ideas in mind as you create the latest projects in Stringing magazine! Share your storage ideas below and on our Beadingdaily.com forums!

Featured Product

The Best of Stringing 2009

Availability: Out Of Stock
Price: $14.99

Magazine Single Issue

A celebration of Stringing Magazine's fifth aniversary, Interweave presents The Best of Stringing, a 148-page supersized issue packed with 183 stylish designs.

Comments

MistyD3 wrote
on Sep 28, 2009 3:05 PM
I also use a vintage wooden sewing caddy, exactly like the one in the picture. It's perfect to tote my pieces in! Really has a "Wow!" factor when it's opened and I know where everything is.
Cynthia@75 wrote
on Sep 28, 2009 3:34 PM
I have alot of jewelry as well. Not only do I make jewelry, but I also collect Victorian jewelry. First of all, I have a jewelry Armoire mounted to the wall, but it doesn't hold as much as Denise Peck's. So I also have an antique spice drawer. It has 6 little drawers that hold alot. I also have organizers and individual boxes in the top drawer of my dresser (the drawer is 100% jewelry). I also collect antique miniature dressers (they were salesmen samples, too big for dollhouses), and I have jewelry stuffed in those drawers. But my favorite place I keep jewelry is in a Martha Washington sewing table. It serves as a bedside table, and has 3 drawers, with the sewing dividers, perfect for jewelry. My problem is remembering what I have, and where it is!!
on Sep 28, 2009 3:38 PM
I found a great earring frame on Etsy at this shop called Full Circle Studios, it is made from barn wood and has a metal screen. It is any easy way to store all my earrings, I can see them all at the same time and it is decorative too! www.fullcirclestudios@etsy.com
on Sep 28, 2009 3:46 PM
I thought you'd never ask. I use a piece of plastic cross stitch base (the kind my grandma used with yarn to make covers for kleenex boxes etc). It has a loop for hanging (from a cup hook of course). I have a picture - how can I post it here?
on Sep 28, 2009 4:06 PM
Nevermind. I just changed my photo on my page to a pic of my jewelry organizer if anyone wants to see it "in action."
on Sep 28, 2009 4:45 PM
I hang my earrings around the edges of glass votive holders or juice glasses (depending on their length). It's fun to have a fringe dangling around each little glass, it's easy and inexpensive to change the colors of the containers as my whim changes, and it's very easy to see what is available. It also takes up much less space than traditional earring storage systems that I've seen.
Patriciakoko wrote
on Sep 28, 2009 8:23 PM
I have found the metal racks they sell for holding spools of thread are perfect for necklaces. Works for me!
on Sep 28, 2009 8:27 PM
My favorite is from an etsy shop. http://Glasswear.etsy.com I love her jewelry organizers and show them off to friends when I can
Jane@235 wrote
on Sep 28, 2009 9:26 PM
With the new longer jewelry this year, I came across a great storage idea at Big Lots. They had a cast iron wreath holder for $10.00 that adjusts in height with arms on it that can hold several really long necklaces. If I don't want to use it to hold jewelry I can always use to hold my red hats.
kasi1983 wrote
on Sep 28, 2009 11:12 PM
Just like Denise I have one of these full-length mirror armoires - but mine is already full, too (I do not only make jewelry I also love to buy jewelry - especially rings... and there's only room for 80 or 90 rings...). I wish I could get a second one but they are not available here in Germany any more... But since I have also many many earrings and keep making some I will soon be making an earring hanger from an old picture frame and some fly screen. I have seen photos of these - it looks great on the wall when filled with dangling earrings in different colors *g*
Loued007 wrote
on Sep 29, 2009 5:42 AM
I use professional jewelry display boxes and trays for my jewelry (find them at Nilecorp.com and look at the unique "wires storage box" while you are at it). Right now I have a large box and 4 trays inside for my silver jewelry and a smaller box with 3 trays for my gold. I give away jewelry so I don't have to buy another box!
Daisy Girl wrote
on Sep 29, 2009 7:59 AM
I just recently purchase a bulletin board to display jewelry at shows. I bought a nice piece of lace and glued it around the frame. I glued matching buttons on the corners and glued flat back Swarovski crystals to the buttons. I use fancy stick pins to hold the jewelry in place.
on Sep 29, 2009 2:28 PM
Wow, these are all such great ideas! And by the way, you can post pictures any time, you bet! Given the style of what you all have come up with for your jewelry, I hope to hear from you about tomorrow's post on more beaded home decor ideas! Leslie Beading Daily editor
beadhappy wrote
on Sep 29, 2009 6:13 PM
Unfortunately, I have no way of posting a picture, but the apartment complex I live in doesn't allow me to use nails. However, thumbtacks are allowed. So, I hang my favorite necklaces from the thumbtacks to serve as wall art.
doris@4 wrote
on Sep 30, 2009 4:37 PM
I display some of my necklaces around lamp shades - very pretty. Doris
JuneS@14 wrote
on Oct 2, 2009 8:50 PM
I love earrings and bracelets. I keep them in my closet on a CD rack that I found in a thrift store. I placed the rack on my closet wall with screws in the holes provided. It's convenient when selecting a garment from the closet. I can coordinate jewelry and a garment instantly. An ocassional necklace can be hung there as well. However, I don't make necklaces very often. I don't likke things around my neck. I must have been hung in an earlier life. Smile.
on Oct 15, 2009 5:33 PM
Another thing I do--I strung a span of lightweight poly chain across one of my bulletin boards. I hang my fave and most frequently worn earrings on the links. My earrings are easy to find, fast to put away when I take them off, and inspiring to look at every day! Leslie