New Beading Daily editor!

Sep 18, 2009

Hi! I'm so happy to be your new Beading Daily editor!

First and foremost I want to thank Michelle Mach, the founding Beading Daily editor, who has moved on. Michelle helped create an astounding online bead and jewelry community for all of us. We’ll miss her easy writing style and creativity from the past two years. Big cheers for Michelle! The good news is that she told me she'd be delighted to contribute from time to time. Share your wishes for Michelle on the forums

Leslie with cover poster

Spacer 10x10 pixels

Magazine scene

I’m thrilled to take up where Michelle left off as the new Beading Daily editor, and lots of you already know me. Perhaps you recognize my face from my photo in Step by Step Beads, for whom I’ve been the editor in chief for almost five years.

You may have taken one of my Bead Fest classes. Maybe you've seen my designs published in BeadworkStep by Step BeadsCreative JewelryEasy Wire, or in a few Interweave books. I even did some technical illustrations for Beadwork.

A short history of an editor

Since getting my BFA in illustration from UArts in Philly, I’ve done a lot of things, and Interweave allows me to finally bring everything together! I was a copywriter and product designer for The Franklin Mint, wrote script cards for QVC, had art features published in Niche, American Style and The Surface Design Journal. I had my own business making wearable art, fabric sculptures and jewelry, selling at the American Craft Council shows and the Buyers Markets of American Crafts. I made my own blog web site and also sell on Etsy. I’ve even been a movie and TV extra. But mostly I love to bead!

Leslie and her beads
Leslie's bead health tip for today:
Wear lots of jewelry as weight-bearing exercise!

Doodlebeads

doodleBEADS DVD 1

Cariacature LeslieMaybe because my dad was in the computer biz since they filled rooms, I’ve always loved the tech world. I was on the internet the second it was invented! I started making videos for my daughter’s school assemblies, then my personal blog, then as an Interweave editor.  Next came video tutorials for Beading Daily. Called Doodlebeads because I draw out the thread paths as a teaching aid, these tutorials for beginner bead stitchers are already on Beading Daily in the How To section.

Beads, Baubles & Jewels

I love making jewelry, but mostly I love inspiring other people to make jewelry. I have experience in almost every medium and technique but my passion is seed beads. I was asked to teach Doodlebeads on Beads, Baubles & Jewels, the PBS TV show which Interweave sponsors. I just completed taping 12 episodes for the TV show, but  a new Doodlebeads DVD with all 12 basic stitches will be in the Interweave store by the end of October of this year!

Beading Daily is yours, mine and ours!

Old friends or new, share what inspires you, what you want to learn, and what your most (or least) favorite posts are. One of the best things about beadingdaily.com is that we are so connected, you with me, me to you, you with each other. We have post comments to share, lively forums, galleries, contests, lessons, videos, Bead Fest bead show events-- so many ways to have a bead-in going all the time.  So it’s your turn to tell me about yourselves. Beading Daily is ours! There is an amazing wealth of experience and humor being shared on Beading Daily, being tweeted and blogged and facebooked. So find a forum and let everyone know your wish list for Beading Daily. Who are you and what do you want? More videos? More projects? Which medium? Fewer, bigger, easier, more challenging?  Bring it on! Please share your comments. It takes a village, right? Together, we’re making Beading Daily the best jewelry-making neighborhood around!

Happy beading!

Featured Products

Creative Jewelry 2009

Availability: Out Of Stock
Price: $14.99

Magazine Single Issue

Creative Jewelry - 135+ projects to make and wear!

Easy Wire 2008

Availability: Out Of Stock
Price: $9.99

Magazine Single Issue

Fall in love with wire jewelry making. It's easy!

Comments

on Sep 18, 2009 12:28 PM
Go, Leslie, GO! :)
digupstuff wrote
on Sep 18, 2009 12:37 PM
Congratulations Leslie! <3 Dig :D XOXOX http://digsart.com
on Sep 18, 2009 12:39 PM
Congratulations Leslie! Sounds like you never have a free moment! I love wire wrapping and beading. I went to the BeadFest in Philly and had a great time I had a question. Since I am from Florida---Do they ever have a BeadFest down here? I would love to go. My e-mail is Ormondcath@aol.com Thanks and keep up the good work.
Sid Manchego wrote
on Sep 18, 2009 12:42 PM
Loved the Doodlebeads on odd-count peyote! Great help! I always avoided it like the plague. Doesn't look so hard now! Thanks again. Love Beading Daily!
JanG@25 wrote
on Sep 18, 2009 12:45 PM
Welcome, Leslie! Best of luck to Michelle, too. This has been a great site, and I know it will continue to be THE place to go for beading. As far as passions and interests go, mine center on stringing and wire-wrapping more than stitching for various reasons, incipient cataracts among them. I also enjoy making polymer clay beads and pendants. What I've really enjoyed is the variety I've seen on this site, whether or not I ever plan to work on any of the projects. If Step-by-Step Beads is any indication of this site's future, it's going to stay wonderful.
on Sep 18, 2009 1:16 PM
Leslie, I am excited to know you are taking on such a wonderful new title! You are a great inspiration to all beaders!! Erin
nlevine2 wrote
on Sep 18, 2009 1:18 PM
I love this site. I read each Beading Daily message and save the ones I can use (quite a lot at this point) for future reference. Here's what I'd love to see: a Beading Daily message devoted to making beaded beads, i.e. those beads that are formed by making a patterned peyote-stitched covering over a wooden bead. I'd love to know what books to consult for pattern ideas, how people deal with "bumps," where to go to get really tiny beads or nailheads, and how to sell those bad boys once you've made them. Is there enough interest out there to start a forum for beaded bead makers? Thanks for all you do, Leslie, and for all you've done, Michelle. Hats off to you both! Nancy
Diana@130 wrote
on Sep 18, 2009 1:35 PM
Thanks for taking this on, Leslie! I'm a big fan and I'm looking forward to more Beading Daily!... Diane
Rusty@5 wrote
on Sep 18, 2009 1:40 PM
Congratulations, Leslie, I know you will do a great job. Rusty
phyl@2 wrote
on Sep 18, 2009 1:48 PM
Love your photo, Leslie and the idea of wearing lots of beads for weight-bearing exercise. I've already suggested that when I die, I can be buried with all my beads - just like the Egyptians and then nobody has to worry about what to do with all of them. Phyllis Dintenfass
phyl@2 wrote
on Sep 18, 2009 1:49 PM
ruthieb09 wrote
on Sep 18, 2009 2:28 PM
Congrats Leslie!!! best of luck on your New venture,,You might remeber me from the Philia bead Fest,,I was the Gal that had her pic taken with you and wore the Star Earring and necklace set made from purple,white and green starfish from your step by step issue aug 09..,,I wish you all the best and just keep doing what you do, best,,,love all your patterns for everything,,!!! just give us more,, more,, more,,!!!! Ruthie from Pa.
Jerry@9 wrote
on Sep 18, 2009 2:29 PM
Leslie, I have enjoyed watching you for quite a while on BB&J and I have really enjoyed your demonstrations. You have a excellent technique for teaching beading methods, as well as a delightful personality. I wish all the best for the future. Jerry
SusanC@193 wrote
on Sep 18, 2009 2:35 PM
Hi Leslie: A request for a listing of bead shows for the month and the month following-nationally. I live in Hawaii (not so many shows here)but I travel to Las Vegas & I could time trips to coincide with bead shows. I know Interweave advertises only certain shows, so I was very surprised to learn of a Bead Rennaissance bead show in LV in May 2009 that I learned about in the Gem Magazine. I was happy to catch that one. Thanks Susan
on Sep 18, 2009 3:16 PM
Hi Leslie! You sound enthusiastic about your move, and I hope it is every bit as exciting as it sounds. My question is this: what's the name of your Etsy shop? I love the big bead necklace in your lots-of-jewelry photo, so hope you can post that info. And viva shameless self-promotion! Joan
Lindalw wrote
on Sep 18, 2009 4:53 PM
Yes, indeed, Leslie should be in the beading hall of fame! I also love seed beads about the best, and I love taking seed beads and creating something that is detailed, lacy, and most of all, colorful! But there are no bad beads, they're all fun. Hope you enjoy the new position at Beading Daily!
on Sep 18, 2009 5:31 PM
Congrats Leslie. I, too, love working with seed beads, it's so relaxing. I hook up my IPOD with favorite music in my ears and could stitch seed bead patterns forever. More patterns with instructions please!!! =) Chris
on Sep 18, 2009 7:40 PM
Congratulations Leslie and best of luck to you in your new postition. Also best of luck to Michelle in her new postion as well.
NEB221 wrote
on Sep 18, 2009 7:42 PM
You sound and look like a very happy person. Perky! Congratulations. I enjoy the patterns where you show which way the thread goes because I have a learning disability and can't always figure out what's being talked about. Thank you for doing that. I love seed beading too.
CandyCB wrote
on Sep 18, 2009 7:56 PM
Congrats to Leslie, Best wishes to Michelle! I already "know" Leslie as I am an avid viewer of Beads, Baubles & Jewels...I have "tevo'd" all the sessions since inception...but I also have read many of your (Leslie's) articles/projects and even have produced a few! I am looking forward to another great year with Beading Daily.
JanetB@76 wrote
on Sep 18, 2009 10:20 PM
Wow. Have never seen Doodlebeads before today. Brilliant!
BeadBarn wrote
on Sep 18, 2009 11:45 PM
Michell, Sorry to hear you are leaving us....understand that time does not stand still but you will be sadly missed....wish you the very best in your future endeavors.... Leslie, welcome, it was due to you that I found my new luv of the seed bead (BB & J spiral tutorial started it all). Good luck in your new post.
beadedicons wrote
on Sep 19, 2009 5:46 AM
Congratulations! I like the new 'feel' of Beading Daily. Could you possibly add the occasional non-jewelry feature? Bead embroidery, bead painting, etc? Thanks, and happy beading!
MarianP wrote
on Sep 19, 2009 6:02 AM
Good luck Leslie. I'll miss you on step by step but e njoy seeing your stuff here.
AdeleH@3 wrote
on Sep 19, 2009 6:43 AM
Good Luck Michele, enjoyed your atricles. Leslie, loved your beaded rings on Beads Baubles & Jewels., and can't wait to see what you will have for us next!
PamB@65 wrote
on Sep 19, 2009 7:19 AM
I'm happy to see a new editor at Beading Daily. I was about to cancel my subscription because what was an informational & helpful newsletter when I first joined had become a disappointment. Hopefully a new editor will mean a new direction with interesting projects and helpful information.
ybnormal wrote
on Sep 19, 2009 10:07 AM
Congrats...I am wowed by your accomplishments...you will be grrrrreat as the new editor. I am brand new at beading. Often I find myself scared to try a new technique until I read instructions and ideas in the newsletter. After trying, I am amazed at the end product. Please keep on with the ideas and instructions. Kitty
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Sep 19, 2009 8:03 PM
Welcome, and Good bye, all in one sentence. Looking forward to more Beading Daily and less Wire works. mary
on Sep 19, 2009 9:16 PM
Congrats on becoming the new editor. Hey, I just watched your video clip on odd count peyote beading. Thanks so much!!!! It was clear! the pictures and the line drawing were great help! Thanks again! Valerie
DianaS@3 wrote
on Sep 20, 2009 12:30 PM
My goal last Christmas was to make a few beaded ornaments before this year Christmas came along. Well, here I am, facing another season with no beaded ornaments made. I'd love to see some recommendations for books on beaded ornaments. I look at the titles in the Interweave store but don't really know which would be the best.
on Sep 20, 2009 6:17 PM
Congrats Leslie! I thought I would go crazy after trying and failing to learn odd count peyote...until...I found your instructions on DoodleBeads. I picked it right up and thank you. You have a GIFT. Susan
Sage1332003 wrote
on Sep 20, 2009 8:43 PM
I like working with wire, glass, and fresh-water pearls, especially in asymmetrical designs. I also enjoy working with chain.
artistavie wrote
on Sep 21, 2009 10:24 AM
yay! Leslie you're my favorite designer i love every projects you make and learning whit you it's a dream,i love seddbeads to and i can't stop to make all you're projects!congrats Leslie ! Sylvie
Eva MariaK wrote
on Sep 30, 2009 4:59 PM
Congratulation Leslie! "When I not beading, I'm sleeping". When do you sleep? Thank you for the odd-count tip. Laddering on that odd row is most helpful.
on Jun 21, 2010 1:42 AM

Mrs. Leslie,

YOU ROCK!!!

I am a newbie beader and learned from your videos! Please keep doing more newbie how to's.

Roxanne, Houston Texas