Join Beading Daily's First Earring Swap

Jul 24, 2009

Simple Earrings, Simple Pleasures

Remember when you first got your ears pierced and you had to wear a simple post earring for a few weeks while they healed? Geez, those weeks seemed interminable. That curious ritual of putting holes in your earlobes was surely a rite of passage. It was either a trip to the mall where some teenage salesclerk did it “professionally” or a trip to the bathroom with a friend, an ice cube, and a needle! I came late to the party, actually, as my mother forbade me to get my ears pierced. It wasn’t until I was off to college that I had my roommate freeze my earlobes with that melting ice cube and pierce those little holes for me!

There is no question that getting your ears pierced opens a whole new world of style and fashion. Who among us hasn’t planned an outfit around a fabulous pair of earrings? Earring styles are as diverse as clothing styles. How much fun is it to put on a little black dress and then make it sing with gorgeous, blingy earrings? Or jazz up your daily uniform of jeans and t-shirt with an outrageous, funky pair of earrings?

Wire in Every Earring

Hunting for fabulous new earrings is a pleasure I never tire of. These days, though, I look at them from a different perspective—how are they made? Every earring you see has wire as a component. Whether it’s just the post or ear wire, or whether wire plays a design role, if you own a set of beading pliers, you can make yourself a wardrobe of earrings. Whether your jewelry-making skills are stringing or bead weaving, you can make accompanying earrings in a jiff. With a spool of 22-gauge or 24-gauge craft wire from the craft store, you can make head pins in a minute. Just make a tiny loop on one end and then squeeze the loop shut. Voila, instant head pins. And you can even make your own ear wires. Cut a 2” piece of wire, make a simple loop on one end, then bend the rest of the wire over a Sharpie marker.

No Such Thing as Too Many Earrings

There are 101 earring projects for all skill levels in my new book, 101 Wire Earrings. This week's featured free project, called Switching Gears, uses a beautiful lampwork disc. Haven’t you wondered how to use those? Check out how a sloppy little wrap of wire between the disk and the bead above becomes a focal point of the design.

So next time you’re jewelry shopping and you think to yourself, “I could make that,” you’re probably right!  And have you heard? You can never have too many earrings.

Join Beading Daily's First Earring Swap

A note from Beading Daily editor Michelle Mach:

I had two thoughts when I learned about Denise Peck's new book, 101 Wire Earrings.  First, 101 earrings?  Wow!  What a great resource for earring ideas!  I'm not sure that I could come up with that many ideas on my own.  Frankly, sometimes I'm not patient enough to finish the second earring of a single pair.

My second thought?  I want to have an earring party on Beading Daily!  To celebrate this inspiration-packed book, we're holding our first earring swap.  Send in a pair of handmade earrings and receive another pair made by a Beading Daily member.  Plus, Denise has generously agreed to donate five pairs of earrings from her book, so five lucky folks will receive a pair of her handmade earrings in the swap. I am soooo excited about this event!  Please help me make it a success by participating (see the official rules) and spreading the word.

New Free Project: One Week Only
Switching Gears
Denise Peck

Combine purple Greek ceramic squares, oxidized silver wire, and lampworked disc beads from Blue Heeler Glass to create this cute pair of wire earrings.  The intentionally messy wirewrapping adds artistic charm to these earrings and makes them work up very quickly. This sneak-peek project from 101 Wire Earrings by Denise Peck will be available for free for one week only!  The free period has ended; look for instructions in the book 101 Wire Earrings.

Comments

on Jul 24, 2009 12:08 PM
We are on our 4th earring swap on BD -- we call it "Secret Santa Earring Swap". There are a bracelet swap, a" Secret SDanta Finished Piece Swap" as well. Check in some time, peruse, and enjoy. Stan B.
Emi@4 wrote
on Jul 24, 2009 2:44 PM
what a great idea! I'll have to decide what to make - I am totally in! Emi For the Love of Beads
SandyS@52 wrote
on Jul 24, 2009 2:52 PM
That sounds great how do we join up and how many pairs do we need to make for the swap?
MelindaB@14 wrote
on Jul 24, 2009 3:03 PM
The "Secret Santa Earring Swap" is open to registered Beading Daily members who participate in the forums, as I understand it. It is a different swap altogether than what Denise is trying to set up. As CrystalCubeBead stated there are lots of swaps going on for registered Beading Daily members to join if they participate in the forums according. There are guidelines to be found in the various forum postings.
on Jul 24, 2009 6:16 PM
I've already printed out my form, and I am going to make my earrings for the swap tomorrow! This is going to be sooooo much fun!
tuttirule wrote
on Jul 25, 2009 12:16 AM
I think this sounds like a lot of fun for all. I only use sterling silver for my ear wire, because I don't want anyone to have problems. It is just a safe way to go with clients/customers. It doesn't really matter if someone uses crystals or seed beads with their earrings, it is about creating earrings. $5.00 is not going to break anyone, and evem if someone is copying your design it is very flattering. Also, nothing is new in fashion. Everything makes a circle, and comes back every couple of decades. I am really open to swaping earrings and beads if anyone is interested you can reach me at cutiemccute@gmail.com and I live in San Diego California. I started out doing wedding jewelry and I am self taught. And I am always excited about learning new ideas about jewelry tecnique. I had a terrible bout with Breast Cancer and had to reinvent myself, and take my mind off of this horific desease. So I have really enjoyed the beauty of jewely making.
MoonRae wrote
on Jul 25, 2009 8:37 AM
I am very curious, what happened to yesterday's posts concerning the swap and the reason for the "entry fee"?? I'm sure we'd all like an answer to our questions. None of those posts were rude and we have a right to know what the deal is.I know that I personally would like to participate but now I'm not so sure. Sorry to be a bother and thanks for your time
JSmaz wrote
on Jul 26, 2009 12:08 AM
I think the other comments may have been moved to where the official rules are. There are quite a few of them there.
Sherri S. wrote
on Jul 26, 2009 7:36 AM
Where are the rules? I don't see a link on this page for the rules.
Sherri S. wrote
on Jul 26, 2009 7:37 AM
Where are the rules? I don't see a link on this page for the rules.
WireyWillow wrote
on Jul 27, 2009 9:05 PM
I think an earring swap would be FUN and boy do we need FUN in this world! I'm in for it.
AmyK@53 wrote
on Jul 29, 2009 5:30 AM
Oh YAY Love the swaps. I'm going to make them today.
on Aug 12, 2009 5:21 AM
I am really looking forward to sending my earrings in. This is gonna be fun!