Which Stitch Are You?

Jul 22, 2009

Which Stitch Are You?

Beading Daily is a social network, so, like many other online communities, I’ve determined we need to have a ridiculous quiz. Normally this might require all kinds of in-depth questions in order to come to its conclusion, but why not just jump ahead to the answers, so you can pick for yourself? Then you can make the accompanying seed bead projects from the store to show off your inner stitch!

You are: Right-Angle Weave

You are a very cerebral person, but have more than one flowing garment in your closet. Maps are laughable to you, as you always know your way. Unfortunately, people think you’re babbling when you try to explain things to them.

Try this project: Little Black Dress Earrings by Marcia DeCoster.

You are: Brick Stitch

Reliable and strong on the outside, you are fairly complicated on the inside. You happily let your guard down around friends, who can always entice you onto the dance floor to show off your righteous moves.

Try this project: Supernova Choker by Kerrie Slade

You are: Herringbone Stitch

Life for you is a series of ups and downs that eventually lead to a harmonious and ordered whole. You rely on a little help from your friends for grounding and support and you probably know a thing or two about walking a tightrope.

Try this project: Rivoli Cuff by Merle Berelowitz

You are: Square Stitch

You like things to be finalized and fairly buttoned up. You color inside the lines and probably have a big collection of Delicas. People like to be around you because you have wads of money hidden under your mattress.

Try this project: Sakura Tassel by Jamie Hogsett

You are: Peyote Stitch

You come across as put-together and easygoing, but the truth is you’re fairly lazy, often tread on thin ice, and like to play the horses. You don’t like to be confined to one way of doing things and would rather experiment, sometimes at the cost of showing off your inner workings.

Try this project: Sky-High Ring by Janet Kay Skeen

I’ll admit, I think I may be peyote stitch . . . how about you? Is it because it’s your favorite stitch or because this silly quiz told you so? Share your discoveries on the website and then download a button for your blog or website to tell the world your inner stitch type!

Comments

on Jul 22, 2009 6:58 AM
I was disappointed when I didn't notice a 'loom' stitch...that would be ME! Erin
Timaree wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 8:41 AM
I guess I would have to say I am right angle weave. It was the "people think you’re babbling when you try to explain things to them" that did it. That's just what my family thinks when I try to explain things. They get me for that constantly.
SarahleighS wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 8:43 AM
I adore peyote stitch but I don't conform to any of the bead stereotypes described and especially not the peyote personality described above. However, I'm very tempted by the Sky-High Ring pattern.....
Timaree wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 8:48 AM
I just added the button to my blog. I love blog things. We'll see if this brings any comments or traffic.
JennyStark wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 8:59 AM
Fun post :) I would have to say I'm the herringbone stitch. Facing OCD, ADHD, Tourrettes, GAD and Apraxia often feels like walking a tightrope. And family support is pretty crucial. But still I feel very fortunate. Have a great day!
on Jul 22, 2009 9:01 AM
This is a little complicated. My favorite stitch is peyote, but I'm definitely not lazy and never tread on thin ice and don't like to gamble. But I do like experimenting when learning new things. Since Brick stitch and peyote look alike maybe that's why I am more the reliable type, strong on the outside and complicated on the inside. Right Angle weave is the last stitch I mastered and mainly that babbling description is how I felt about it for a while, but I do like those earrings. Herringbone I like and the description of the ups and downs remind meof the feeling I get that this stitch seems to always take a long time to do. Square stitch is the one I find boring. But I do have a big collection of Delicas, but not the money under the mattress. So what stitch does that make me??
Tammy Dufek wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 9:03 AM
I learned the square stich first and that is the one I liike the most. I have tried the peyote and it is not for me. I will have to check bacik and see if anyone is there.
DTAYLOR wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 9:12 AM
I'm definitely Brick Stitch, but trying hard to be more Peyote Stitch!
AnitaJ@5 wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 9:19 AM
I love all the off loom stitches, but am happiest with peyote. I think Philonese and I might be soulmates because I could almost cut and paste her comments for my own! For example, I love those earrings, too and my Delica collection grows faster than my bank account! Remembering that silly quizzes are just that, and don't mean anything, I will adopt Peyote as "my descriptive stitch" for the fun of it, and enjoy the giggling as I read everyone else's comments. Happy Beading everyone!
Hiriel wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 9:21 AM
Unfortunately, I have very few wads of money in my matress, otherwise I'd be square stitch. I think I'll have to go with right-angle weave. I have not tried it, but the earrings are beautiful :)
PaulaM@26 wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 9:21 AM
Good Day Jean, I wanted to tell you first that I liked the necklace with acorns and leaf in Beadwork this month. As for the stitches, I saw myself and my friends and teacher in various of the stitches. We are the 'beading buddies' I am peyote, Bev is brick stitch, Cathy is RAW and our teacher Caren is Herringbone. Who thought up the meanings and where is bead crochet, loom work, daisy chain? This was fun! Thanks Jean. Paula Lee
CaycaC wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 9:33 AM
I love this article :) I would say I am RAW not only because it IS my favourite stitch but because I do always know my way and people do think I'm babbling when I try to explain things.
SusanO@23 wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 9:51 AM
Square stitch - chose the project before I even read the personality description!
InaRaeU wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 9:55 AM
And although peyote fits me most closely I really think I am free-form. I never really know where I am going or how my work will end up, but that mystery is the fun of it for me!
beadmarie wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 11:04 AM
I love RAW, altho the personality description doesn't fit--I get lost just going around the block! I am currently working on a RAW choker commission.
skabeads wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 11:52 AM
Somewhere between RAW and Peyote - like LindaL I can get lost going around the block, but then can wind up where I wanted to go without the faintest idea of how I got there! Fun article - and I adore the RAW earings!
Beaderone wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 12:27 PM
I love RAW and enjoy peyote. I don't think i am lazy, my heart doesn't let me do a lot. I feel that people think i am babbling when i try to explain things. I tend to over explain.
PatriciaW@45 wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 12:43 PM
Helllo Fellow Beaders, I, too, loved this fun article. Since the time I began beading which was about five years ago, my life has been a series of ups and downs. Although, I just began learning the herringbone stitch yesterday (yes, really) I have always been attracted to it and wanted to learn it. I guess we now know why. I am Herringbone...okay, that's good to know, I guess.
on Jul 22, 2009 1:06 PM
Boy, this is a hard one! I'd have to say I'm a little bit of peyote stitch and a tad bit of brick stitch! Melinda Barta Editor, Beadwork
on Jul 22, 2009 1:37 PM
I think we need to add a "freeform" button for all you in-betweens!
Radiance@3 wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 1:37 PM
I'm complicated, I have a lot of ups and downs, and nobody understands me, so that would be... right-angle herringbone brick. However, I am also totally tubular. :-)
Jennifer@186 wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 8:47 PM
I'm not sure which stitch I am by the description, probably right angle. Granted this is the only one I use in my beading, I don't have the patience for theother ones. I have tried and although we all know beading is fiddly, right angle is the easiest of the lot - for me anyway.
ldarmes1 wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 11:50 PM
What happens if you like all the stitches??
ldarmes1 wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 11:55 PM
I quess I really need to pick one...right angle weave
kaluoto wrote
on Jul 23, 2009 7:47 AM
My favorite stitches are RAW and Peyote, and I think, on some level, those descriptions match me as well. I don't know who thought up these descriptions but I think they are perfect!
kmeador wrote
on Jul 23, 2009 3:55 PM
I'm a brick stitch as long as I don't have to get on the dance floor. My dance floor could be another way of acting out, like animating story telling!. Jean, it appears some folks are answering about their favorite stitch rather than which stitch exemplifies their style or personality. I don't brick stitch, but it's who I am. Karen, Dreamcatcher Designs in Texas
kmeador wrote
on Jul 23, 2009 3:55 PM
We may all be different "stitches" in different situations or at varying times of our lives. Karen
Nemeton wrote
on Jul 23, 2009 4:46 PM
Jean, thanks for this fun article! I have to say that your peyote stitch description is an uncannily good fit for me - especially the part about the risk of experimentation being revealing - and peyote is definitely my favourite stitch, too, although right angle weave runs it a pretty close second (but I can't be one of those, I never know my way even if I have the map in my hand)!
BeadBarn wrote
on Jul 23, 2009 10:46 PM
Never tried square stitch, but use all the rest as my inspiration requires..... this makes me a.... babbling show-off who lives on the edge but is well put together and not afraid of taking risks....is this really me..?????
JanetS@70 wrote
on Jul 24, 2009 10:11 AM
Great fun article, Jean. You make me laugh. Janet From Another Planet
SusS wrote
on Jul 24, 2009 3:09 PM
This was really cute and quite witty! I was thinking I need to make the supernova choker with the peyote stich! Or just admit I have a personality disorder. LOL
kittykins wrote
on Jul 24, 2009 7:50 PM
I am definitely a herringbone. It was the first stitch i learned and i was hooked on beading since then . i love the way the beads lean together with herringbone. It is my favorite stitch of all time. And it is true of my life, it has had its ups and downs. But things have settled down and i find a great deal of happiness from friends and family. When i was working there were many of those "walking the tightrope days," but i loved the challenge and when i look back, my career was overall pretty great. But retirement is wonderful...beading is wonderful.
Lou Ma wrote
on Jul 28, 2009 2:43 PM
Jean, Always love your ideas. Such a cute idea. I am definitely herringbone; it is both my favorite stitch and a very apt description of my life. Kudos to the inventive person who thought up the descriptions.
JMarie107 wrote
on Jul 29, 2009 1:01 PM
I thought that this was an interesting idea determining personality traits by what stitch are you. I read the descriptions of personality vs. stitch and I came tho the conclusion that I was a herringbone-peyote stitch person. I'm the free spirit of the peyote stitch and the balance harmony of the herringbone stitch. I find that herringbone stitch leads to as much freestyle as the peyote stitch especially when you combine the two stitches. The two of my favorite stitches are the twisted herringbone and the spiral peyote stitch. I have made some wonderful pieces of jewelry with these stitches.
SCB1 wrote
on Jul 30, 2009 8:12 PM
Thanks Jean this was fun! Well, I do believe that I am a herringbone stitch. Not really my favorite but one I do often.I also fit well into the square stitch definition, but I have no money under my bed unless I dropped a penny and it rolled there. However I really think peyote is my favorite stitch to do. Maybe because it was the first one I learned.
SCB1 wrote
on Jul 30, 2009 8:18 PM
Thanks Jean this was fun. I think I am a herringbone. Although not my favorite stitch one I often do. I also fit into the definition for square stitch. However I assure you I have no money under my bed unless I dropped and penny and it rolled there. Now my favorite stitch would be the peyote. I guess I love it the best because it was the first one I learned. It took me several tries before the light came on in the middle of the night, And I have loved it since.
SCB1 wrote
on Jul 30, 2009 8:24 PM
Sorry about the double post. I thought I had lost the first one into cyberspace. Hence the double
on Feb 10, 2014 7:07 PM

I like right angle weave and herringbone stitch.  I use them the most.