Try This Unusual Daisy Chain Variation

Jul 15, 2009

The Secret Life of Walter (Jean) Mitty

I was in Cleveland last week taping a few segments for Beads, Baubles, and Jewels. It’s so much fun to go to the taping of this show because the Green Room is always filled with wonderful jewelry-makers I know or who I’ve heard about but I’m just meeting for the first time. It’s a great opportunity to share ideas, techniques, and resources.

While chatting with this creative group, I found myself interjecting conversations by saying, “Oh, yes! I edited a book with that technique in it—you should contact the author,” “There’s a great piece in a book I edited that you should see,” or “I was writing XX book when that happened.” Geez, I thought . . . Are my everyday conversations really guided by the books I’ve worked on? Even when talking non-crafts? Oh, I so wish those interjections sounded more like, “I met a Tasmanian hermit who wore a crown hammered with that pattern when I was on my spirit trek last year” or “A dashing Italian named Armando and I recreated that thread path with jet skis through the Venice Canals last week.” That would make for much more juicy conversation, don’t you think?

Try this Daisy Chain Variation

When I was on the way back from Cleveland, I was checking out the books available for this killer book sale on Beading Daily and ran across Beaded Cords, Chains, Straps, and Fringe at 50% off through this Friday. It made me remember how much fun it was to write it.  Jamie Hogsett and I sat around the Beadwork office thinking up all kinds of innovative stitches to feature in the book, trying to impress each other with our beading prowess . . . No, no . . . that’s not how it happened. Uh . . . Jamie Hogsett and I traveled the world by hot-air balloon and had arm-wrestling matches to gain the secrets behind these stitches from bead masters on each continent. . . Right?

One of the techniques featured in the book is daisy chain. It’s one of those simple techniques, ripe for experimentation. Here’s one variation I came up with on the plane home that I think you might like:

1.  Tie a tension bead onto the end of 3' of thread. String 10 size 11° seed beads; pass through the third just strung, forming a circle and stem.

2.  String 1 size 8° seed bead; pass back through the seventh size 11° strung in the previous step to seat the daisy’s center.

3.  Repeat Steps 1 and 2 to the desired length. Weave through beads to pass back through the sixth size 11° in the previous daisy added.

4.  String 4 size 11°s; pass through the third size 11° in the final daisy added. String 1 size 8° and pass back through the first size 11° added in this step. Weave through beads to pass back through the sixth size 11° added in the next daisy.

5.  Repeat Step 4 to the end of the chain.

The results are a pretty little chain that can actually be made wider by adding more rows. Have you ever tried this one? Or maybe done other experiments with daisy chain? Perhaps you even have a good story about the adventures you took to learn new stitches? Please share any and all on the website!

Comments

nebowen wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 10:34 AM
I am so in awe of Jean Campbell! I love everything she writes, plus her editing and proofreading (this coming from a compulsive proofreader) are wonderful. I even like her picture--she looks like she's a fun, savvy person. I love this daisy chain variation and will try it out, and I look forward to more tips!
Gisela@6 wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 10:37 AM
I'm easily confused, and your diagram doesn't label which bead is "sixth"size 11` in the previous daisy added". I get lost in my count and don't see how you get the thread coming out where you do as the count doesn't seem to match the words. Aside from that the stitch looks very pretty and probably would make a nice fabric with additional rows.
BeadPassions wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 12:18 PM
This book, Beaded Cord, Chains, Straps and Fringe is one of the HUGE BOOKCASE of bead books that I go back to again and again and again. It is totally worth the full price, let alone a bargain like 50% off! And, by the way, I also am in awe of Jean Campbell. I met her at Bead Bash at Lake Tahoe in 2001 right after 9/11. She was helpful, sophisticated, brilliant and gorgeous. So there.
michelle p@5 wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 2:04 PM
merci pour ses charmantes petites fleurs michelle
Linda Marie2 wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 6:19 PM
I really like this variation. Do you have the instructions that could be down loaded? This is a great find !! Thanks
Beadragon wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 6:43 PM
I made a really cool amulet bag necklace with Daisy Chain and netting about 10 years ago. I can send you a scan if you like. I taught the class at a little shop in Solana Beach, California and it was very popular. Donna Palmer
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 7:16 PM
I tried to copy, I tried to save.is it possible to download it.?? Thanks, )oh, I see I am the second request.Mary
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 7:18 PM
11th bead is the yellow center bead, I think.Hope that will help Gisela
MelindaB@14 wrote
on Jul 16, 2009 2:32 PM
I highlighted the part I wanted to copy then Control (CTRL) C and put it into a blank Word document using Control X. That worked great... hope it works for you guys.
on Jul 16, 2009 7:41 PM
Hello: I want to thank you for this free pattern for this cute daisy variation bracelet. Actually, I wanted to make an ankle bracelet, but the thread (3 feet) was not enough so, I made a 6 3/4" bracelet. It came out cute, but I did make a couple of boo - boos. Wjhen you first start and do all the little "daisys", they kind of are little tiny and soft so they kept turning and I must of not unraveled it correctly, so then, when I went to add on the 4 seed beads and making the "zig zag" kind of pattern, some of the spots came out a little crooked. But all together, I am happy with outcome. It is a cute little bracelet for the teenager or mom like me who likes fun stuff. Can I send a photo of my bracelet? Please let me know. Thanks for the pattern and have a great summer. Blessings, Adrienne
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jul 17, 2009 7:50 AM
Imade a cute ring with seed beads and pearls. Now I am off to Tucson, to buy the book.Thanks Mary
marshtex wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 10:34 AM
I completed steps 1-3 easily, but step 4 has me totally baffled. I followed the instructions exactly (at least as I understand them), but the result looks very awkward, not at all like the pretty result in the photo, and I can't figure out how to proceed to the "next" daisy as instructed.
on Aug 9, 2009 10:03 PM
I'm having a problem with step 4. I think my first problem is finding #6 bead. I thought it would be right next to #7 that I exited after adding the #8 seed but it looks very jumbled. If I go all the way around and exit the 6th bead it still looks jumbled. I just can't seem to figure out how to proceed.
kose2 wrote
on Dec 22, 2009 6:42 PM

I also have trouble at the end of the first row Is it possible to get completter instructions. I have  spend the day the have a way to this and still I cant get it. It is a pitty as I like the daisy