From Seed Bead Circle to Spiral Peyote

Jul 10, 2009

If You Buy Them, An Idea Will Come

I have a good friend who buys only the exact number of beads that she needs for a project.  Leftovers drive her crazy.  I drive her crazy, too—how can I buy beads and have no idea what I'm going to do with them?  But I've been beading long enough to know that an idea will eventually come and the last thing you want is to have the idea without having the perfect beads at hand.

Case in point:  When I first started beading, I bought all these size 6 and 8 seed beads.  I loved them.  They were inexpensive and fascinating.  And tiny—or so I thought.  Once I got into seed bead stitching, however, I found myself using even smaller sizes, 11s and 15s. I felt a little sad every time I opened up my bead drawer and saw those early tubes sitting there.  I felt so sad, in fact, that when I organized my beads last year, I almost gave away those beads.  I'm glad I didn't.  When I saw today's free project from Step by Step Beads, I knew those larger seed beads would finally get to star in a project!

From Seed Bead Circle to Spiral Peyote

If you already know tubular peyote, here's the short version of spiral peyote:  Tie an odd number of beads in different sizes (at least 3) into a circle.  Begin working tubular peyote, picking up the same type of bead that you just passed through. Changing the sizes of the beads—and maintaining a tight tension with your thread—will guide the beadwork into an automatic spiral.  That may not sound too exciting when you're just reading this description on your computer, but trust me, it's thrilling to stitch a few rows and then suddenly see the spiral design take shape!

Spiral Peyote Video

If you need step-by-step instructions for spiral peyote, check out Step by Step Beads editor Leslie Rogalski in this spiral peyote video clip from Beads, Baubles and Jewels (series 900).  She demonstrates an easy way to get started by using a rolled-up piece of paper or a straw to bead around.  She also shows lots of examples of how to use your finished spiral, including shorter spirals like mine.  One of my favorite examples in the video combines two short peyote spirals with copper chain for a hip necklace.  For more step-by-step techniques and jewelry design ideas, including right-angle weave and advanced wire-wrapping, watch the Beads, Baubles and Jewels DVD.

New Free Project
Spiral Peyote

Four different pattern ideas for spiral peyote, including Copper Spine, Black Crystal Spine, Raspberry Spiral, and Olive and Copper Spiral. Download includes bead colors, quantities, and sizes, along with photos of finished samples, but no step-by-step instructions. This project was originally published in the November/December 2007 issue of Step by Step Beads, a wonderful magazine for learning the basics of bead stitching. Subscribe today so you don't miss the earthy square-stitch bracelet and clever button projects in the September/October issue!

Free Peyote Stitch eBook

By the way, if you like the cool peyote stitch rings that Leslie wears in the spiral peyote video clip, you can learn to make your own. Instructions for those peyote stitch rings and four terrific bracelets are in our free ebook Peyote Stitch Projects with Beading Daily: 5 Free Peyote Stitch Patterns.Download your own copy today.

Comments

Mimi@75 wrote
on Jul 10, 2009 7:57 AM
I winter in Yuma, AZ where I take a really fun beading class at the university. The post office will not forward my magazines for me so wondering if I could call someone and have the mailing address changed when I leave for Yuma....anyone know?
on Jul 10, 2009 7:58 AM
I really like your articles. Your picture looks so friendly, and I like how you share your beading challenges and triumphs. I'm choosy about the blogs I read, as I don't have a lot of time, and your blog is so friendly and down-to-earth. My mother and I exchange oohs, aahs and ideas about beads and jewelry--we went to the recent Milwaukee bead show for the first time!--and she's really my only, but best, beading friend. But now I feel like I have another beading friend, in your blog. Heidi Chicago
JulieZ@5 wrote
on Jul 10, 2009 11:16 AM
I'm sorry--I love the spiral peyote bracelets, but think it is unfair to just give the supply list and not the written directions for the bracelet. And a supply list does not make it a "new free project" . I am an occasional beader and look to beading daily to inspire me to try projects with out having to commit to a subscription. I love the downloadable patterns i can purchase and have bought and made several, so if you put something beautiful on the site at least make it available for purchase. Thanks.
on Jul 10, 2009 5:18 PM
I agree with Jzal. I was very excited to download the free project Spiral Peyote. Why do we only get page 18 that gives the supply list. To say it is a free project to download is very misleading. I have downloaded many projects with no problem. I would hate to think I had paid for this project and only got the supply list.
Terra@4 wrote
on Jul 11, 2009 8:58 AM
I thought maybe something had gone wrong with the download, but apparently not since those above had the same single-page issue. :( Maybe wording should be changed to reflect what it really is.
HeatherH@68 wrote
on Jul 12, 2009 11:42 AM
I am totally new at using the smaller beads except in stringing. I do Right angle weave & would love to make a bracelet like the one Michelle did with the wooden beads. I do not know the sizes or the colors. Is there some way I can find out the exact beads that are used in this bracelet. I would be able to change my colors etc. from that.I found page 18 very frusterating as it gives no directions as to using the beads listed. I would be so grateful if someone could tell me what to use for that bracelet. I am from Canada & do enjoy this website.
karen@4273 wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 7:58 PM
I found the download not to function properly. Now, I am not so sad it didn't work. If these other beaders aren't happy with the FREE download I guess I am OK with it not working for me. Thanks but I think I will look elsewhere for patterns.
PhyllisJ@10 wrote
on Jul 23, 2009 2:51 PM
I agree with previous comments. Please provide instructions for the Peyote Twist Bracelet. You are misleading your faithful readers!
Barbara JW wrote
on Aug 2, 2009 1:21 PM
I feel the same way. Pg 18 listing the beads to purchase is great but wondered where the pattern was????
JaneMichael wrote
on Jun 17, 2010 4:13 PM

Another gripe about the Spiral Peyote Bracelet.... It is labeled a Dutch Spiral, but to me it looks like a Cellini Spiral. What's the official difference? To me a Dutch Spiral is set apart from other tubular peyote because it has a bead or string of beads that aren't "peyote-d" through. This is how some people are able to incorporate bugle beads. Thoughts?