5 Tips for Using Dimensional Adhesive Glaze

Apr 15, 2009

My Mad Men Obsession (and How It Relates to Beading)

I’ve been obsessed with the cable series Mad Men lately. If you haven’t seen it, it’s basically a smart soap about Madison Avenue ad execs in 1960. It’s all about sharp suits, Doris Day-style frilly aprons over petticoated taffeta, and lots of martini lunches and general naughtiness. The period is captured just brilliantly in small moments, such as one where a main character very carefully spreads cream cheese into a celery stick, adding it to a pile of other era-appropriate hors d'œuvres. It’s absolutely great fodder to bead by.

There’s a general theme in Mad Men about the impoliteness of sharing your personal life with others. Times certainly have changed since 1960, haven’t they? One look at my new Facebook profile (yes, I finally gave in) makes me realize that most of us simply crave the mundane details from each others’ lives. Makes us feel closer to each other in this sometimes disconnected world. And, as I have mentioned in previous posts, I feel this general movement of the “personal is public” has crept into jewelry design. One of the most popular parts of this trend is adding photos, collages, and small trinkets to jewelry using water-based dimensional adhesive glaze like Diamond Glaze.

I was leery of this stuff until I tried it—seemed too crafty to me. But I bought a bottle and now, just like checking my Facebook profile, I’m obsessed. I find that adding that mixed- media personal touch to my pieces not only gives them a unique look, but also turns them into conversation starters. Just look at the projects in Custom Cool Jewelry by Melinda Barta and you can see what I’m talking about. From bezeled pendants with trinkets that look like they’re imbedded in glass to simple papers and fabric inset on a charm, the possibilities are rich. (And while you’re at it, check out all the rest of the unique personalized component ideas in this book--some are bead-stitched, others wireworked, still others sewn. Dang, Melinda is good!)

5 Tips for Using Dimensional Adhesive Glaze

After lots of trial and error I have several tips I can share about working with this stuff:

1. Turn the glaze bottle upside down for a minute or two so the bubbles can go up and away from the applicator tip before you squirt it out. Squeeze a bit of the glaze onto a scrap piece of paper so the bubbles that are in the tip can come out on the paper, not your piece. If you still end up with bubbles in your piece, you can use a pin to drag each one to the edge of the work, allowing them to pop. If you still can’t make them pop, wave a match over the top of the piece to make the bubbles rise; then you can drag them more easily to the edge.

2. When working with paper and adhesive glaze, seal the paper with acrylic sealer (you know—the stuff we used to decoupage magazine cut-outs onto charred wood in the 1960s?) first, both front and back; let thoroughly dry. This will ensure that the water from the glaze won’t be absorbed into the paper, possibly smearing the printed colors. I can’t tell you how important this is!

3. If you’re adding a paper image to a bezel that you’ll then be covering with glaze, make sure to glue the paper to the bezel and let dry before you cover it with glaze. This way the paper won’t float up to the top of the glaze.

4. The fact that the glaze is water-based has its upside and downside. The downside is that it isn’t waterproof, which is a bit of a problem for jewelry; you need to design accordingly. The upside is that if you’re doing a collage and totally mess up, you can soak the finding you’re working with in water, dig out the contents, and start over with the same finding.

5. Work in a well-ventilated area, no matter what kind of glue product you’re using. Save the buzz for a delicious Mad Men-style martini lunch with a side of cottage-cheese-and-walnuts-infused green Jello mold instead.

Got more tips for working with dimensional adhesive glaze? Share them on the website.

Jean Campbell writes about beading and life every Wednesday on Beading Daily. If you have comments or questions for Jean, please post them on the website.

Comments

Moushka3 wrote
on Apr 15, 2009 6:39 AM
Jean, this is spooky. Last week's column was about a book I'd just read. This column is about a product I bought last night! Are you hanging out in my head? Can't wait to try this stuff, it looks and sounds awesome. Thanks for the great tips. Sue
twfancynancy wrote
on Apr 15, 2009 8:31 AM
To remove bubbles in Resin, just blow them with a heat gun. Perhaps this will work with the dimensional glaze. They just float to the top and pop! twfancy
ValT wrote
on Apr 15, 2009 8:36 AM
I enjoyed your article for "5 Tips for Using Dimensional Adhesive Glaze" and found it very helpful. I do understand "The Mad Men Obsession" it is better than any soap opera and I cannot wait for the new season to begin! Keep the article coming!
on Apr 15, 2009 8:36 AM
Thanks for this article! I bought some Diamond Glaze and some glass tiles, and have scoured the 'net for tips on making tiles with the image under the glass. But I'm still a little shaky on one point: Once I have my image glued face-down on the tile, I apply the Diamond Glaze to seal it, right? Do I let it sort of dome itself, as much as I can, on the back side of my image? Or do I want as thin and flat a coat as possible? (I am wanting to eventually glue an aanraku bail on the back for stringing...it will be glued right there, on that final layer of Diamond Glaze...so I want it to be clean, pretty, and STRONG...) Also, is it reasonable to think I might glue down two images, back to back, so there are two "good" sides to the charm? Any tips or tricks I should know, about that? Thanks so much, Jean, and the Beading Daily community for all the wonderful help you consistently provide!
wforstall wrote
on Apr 15, 2009 9:06 AM
I have a question about the dimond Glaze not being water proof, I was under the impression that once it dried it was water proof, so that photos and whatever else that gets embeded would be permently protected. Is this not the case? Please elaborate. Thanks
jill@120 wrote
on Apr 15, 2009 10:08 AM
First of all, did somebody say there'll be a new season of Mad Men? Wonderful!! I've been hooked on that show like no other. Jean, my fellow Twin Citier, thanks for the info on Melinda's book and dimensional adhesive glaze. These are things I never really seriously considered until now...and maybe my work will take a whole new direction, thanks to you.
BLONDIE-POP wrote
on Apr 15, 2009 3:06 PM
my concern is really the fact that it isn't waterproof. i think it is great to make as a cabachon, but what about sweating? i have lupus and i sweat 24-7. do you have to put a label on it that says "please don't purchase if you sweat....it isn't water-proof" SOUNDS LIKE FUN AND ANOTHER GREAT DIRECTION TO GO IN.....................I AM JUST CONCERN....................HELP!
Donna@291 wrote
on Apr 15, 2009 6:57 PM
I just wanted to let ya'll know about another website that gave tips and the "waterproof"ness of the Diamond Glaze. I also am a member of Beaducation, which is another good website for beading creativity. I was just reading the items on this web site on the Diamond Glaze and Ice Resin and found them very educational. I just though I would pass this along for those who needed more information.
on Apr 16, 2009 9:04 AM
Donna, would it possible for you to post a link to that info on Beaducation? I found an article on Diamond Glaze but not much about the waterproof aspect.
Donna@291 wrote
on Apr 16, 2009 4:09 PM
Sure. No problem. If you go to the Design Ideas & Tips at the top of the website and click on Free Tip Corner. Scroll down and there will be Product tips for the Diamond Glaze and Ice Resin. The products are also sold on this website. Good luck and have fun!!!! http://www.beaducation.com/
AGJ wrote
on Apr 17, 2009 2:01 PM
"... a side of cottage-cheese-and-walnuts-infused green Jello mold..." LOL! Will we be seeing this on hoity-toity fusion cuisine menus around town soon?!? Mad Men has inspired some of my most Classic jewelry designs. I will need to try this Diamond Glaze. Mahalo (thank you) for the tips!
HeatherH@68 wrote
on Apr 27, 2009 9:16 PM
Heather wrote re: Tips for using Dimensional Adhesive Glaze My first try with the DG3 Art Gel was disaster. I put a bit of art glue on my scrapbook paper to keep it from floating. It had a white background with music notes etc. on it. I decided that a copper music note would look great imbedded in the gel.It looked great until the chemicals started their thing & then all around the note on the white paper all ran blue. NOT pretty. My next try was using using a purchased collage sheet & a copper betzel. Same thing. My lovely orange breasted bird became a blue bird as did the berries. So experiment, Once you have your paper/picture with a bit of art paste to keep it from floating,use some type of art fixative or I tried a clear drying art paste to seal the paper. Both worked great & I had no more bleeding into my picture. Hope this helps some.
HeatherH@68 wrote
on Apr 27, 2009 9:18 PM
Rhoda@10 wrote
on Jul 9, 2009 7:41 AM
I, too, have heard about the various glazes not being waterproof and am wondering if there might be an easy solution to this. Has anyone tried putting a high gloss clear nail polish over the harden glaze? Seems to me this might solve for the water spots issue; or is this too simple and obvious to be true?
on Oct 16, 2010 9:11 PM

Hi, I'm having some problems finding the Diamond Glaze. Everywhere I am looking has the recalled lot numbers GP005 for the 2oz and GP008 for the 10oz size. I don't think they reuse lot numbers, and this batch was made November 2008 and cracks when it dries. They recalled it and refunded money to everyone who returned product to them.I've written the manufacturer an email and expect to hear from them next week.

If someone can shed light on this, I'd really appreciate it. I've never used it before, and surely do not want my first try to be using recalled material. Thanks,

Linda