Free Video: Learn Peyote Stitch Today

Mar 2, 2009

The Peyote Stitch Stomp
by Leslie Rogalski

Taking it from the top
In my beginner tap class we practice the basic steps over and over.  Single taps, single flaps. The fun part is adding sounds to the basic taps, taking a shuffle and making it double shuffle, then combining basics into a time step, a double time step, a triple buck time step! The more sounds we make, the better it sounds! Plus, we put attitude into our arms, shoulders and hands to further embellish the basics. Though we are mostly beginners, we have advanced dancers taking our class to keep their basic skills sharp.

Please welcome . . . DOODLEBEADS!

We’re excited to present a uniquely entertaining series of seed bead video lessons—Doodlebeads! The first one teaches even-count peyote, and the combination of visuals and sound is sure to make the stitch technique come to life for you.  Between Doodlebeads and the peyote projects in the March April issue of Step by Step Beads, you’ll be a prima beaderina in no time! Check out the premiere DOODLEBEADS and let us know what you think!

Step by Step Beads is just like becoming a better dancer. We teach the basics in fun and easy projects, but we show you ways to add to those basic techniques for a cool finished piece. For instance, our March/April issue has a focus on peyote stitch. There are four projects that use even count peyote—probably the most popular basic seed bead stitch—but each project reveals a variation, a way to get more “sounds” from the stitch.

• The first step:  Lucie’s Branching Out reveals how to make a striped beaded bead, which you string with trendy Lucite.
  • Add attitude with embellishment:  Poodle Beads is about looping a fringe around a beaded bead. This project will be on Beads, Baubles and Jewels TV in May 2009!
  • Vary your tempo: Ahead of the Curve steps up the pace by revealing how simply changing your bead sizes adds movement to simple peyote.
  • Bring it all together: Buckle Earrings teaches you how to decrease peyote stitch into a nice pointed tip, then attach your peyote strip to a fabulous crystal component.

Free Easy Peyote Stitch Ring Project

Talk about yummy finger food! Make lots of Leslie Rogalski’s easy peyote rings for every finger—and give yourself a hand for stitching basic peyote to create fun, fast jewelry. Be sure to gesture elegantly during conversation so your rings can be seen!

Start this fun peyote stitch pattern today (or one of four other peyote stitch projects) when you download our latest free eBook:  Peyote Stitch Projects with Beading Daily: 5 FREE Peyote Stitch Patterns.

Leslie Rogalski has a degree in illustration and design, and she sold wearable art and handwoven beaded art at the American Craft Council Shows and Buyers Market before joining Interweave in 2005.  In addition to being editor in chief of Step by Step Beads, she often teaches at Bead Fest and is a presenter on the PBS-TV series Beads, Baubles, and Jewels

Comments

on Mar 2, 2009 3:11 PM
Where oh where is the free peyote stitch video??
cayla@2 wrote
on Mar 2, 2009 3:13 PM
I thought the video was very good and would be easy to follow for those who do not know how to do that technique. I hope you will, eventually, show all of the stitch techniques that way. I know, that for myself, I had problems with tubular herringbone. Once I learned how to do it, it was easy, but I had a lot of trouble trying to follow the directions for that one. I love my Step by Step Magazine. It is my favorite.
on Mar 2, 2009 3:17 PM
found it and it is great.... more, more, more, especially the herringbones.
tinbonsall wrote
on Mar 2, 2009 3:31 PM
I think Doodle Beads is a great learning tool. Is there a way when you are watching the video to back it up to maybe repeat one step?...rather then go through the whole video again to get the step you need. I didn't need it for this video but I'm sure I will for some of the other stitches.
goldenisis wrote
on Mar 2, 2009 4:13 PM
I really wanted the 5 free peyote patterns but my computer keeps telling meI can't get it jbarnard@frontiernet.net
starwaves wrote
on Mar 2, 2009 4:16 PM
Just tried out DoodleBeads, now that is worth watching. What a great way to learn. Hurry and do the other stitches please.
Donna@291 wrote
on Mar 2, 2009 4:28 PM
Great video!!!! I am teaching myself off loom beading from a book, but this video will help when I get to peyote. I have learned daisy chain and already had a start with right angle, but it is still alittle confusing. Ladder stitch is next and back to right angle weave. Thanks for the video, Leslie. I will be using it when I get to peyote. Will also have to buy the March/April issue; sadly I missed Jan/Feb.
TrudyD2 wrote
on Mar 2, 2009 4:28 PM
loved the free video on peyote..waiting for more t come..it was short and too the point..very easy to follow even if u have never done the stict before...GREAT>>>>MORE PLEASE!!
CarlaD@5 wrote
on Mar 2, 2009 4:54 PM
The file you have for the5 Free Peyote stitches is corrupt and my system will not download it. Any way you can send this through the email to me? I certainly would have liked to have seen the video also. If there is a way to send this all to me I'd appreciate it. I am MAC based and any thing you can do to help is appreciated. Thanks, Carla You have my email....
janeteva wrote
on Mar 2, 2009 5:01 PM
I loved the even count peyote video. Very easy to follow, wish I had it when I first learned the stitch. Any chance you will have brick stitch with increases and decreases? Hope to see many more of these!
annie@123 wrote
on Mar 2, 2009 7:55 PM
I think this video is excellent! I can't wait to see more. Wil you be showing how to finish and close this stitch?
beadmarie wrote
on Mar 2, 2009 8:24 PM
Wonderful! So much fun! Thanks for the fresh take on instructional videos! Encore!
beadedicons wrote
on Mar 2, 2009 8:51 PM
A general comment not specific to this feature.... I know that the jewelry audience is much larger than other bead artists, but could you possibly, occasionally do a feature on bead embroidery, complex bead weaving, something other than jewelry? Thank you!
patelsma wrote
on Mar 2, 2009 10:18 PM
3/2/09 Have tried to download the 5-Peyote Stitch pattern booklet several times. There is an error in this download and the file is damaged and could not be repaired. I really would like to get these patterns. patelsma@pacbell.net
Beadyfab wrote
on Mar 3, 2009 1:11 AM
Many thanks for this great instructional video. Really easy to follow. The combination of drawings and actual photography of the beads is very helpful, as well as a summary of instructions and completed diagram on the page. Well done, too for very nice production values: clear speaking voice, jolly but unobtrusive background music and excellent focus on large beads. Nothing more irritating than a video where you have to squint to guess at what the presenter is doing in a blur of big hands obscuring tiny tiny beads skewered on a wobbly needle. Once again, well done and thank you for making this available free of charge.
VirginiaB@33 wrote
on Mar 3, 2009 5:10 AM
I just veiwed the Doodlebeads - Peyote. I found this to be very helpful and easy to follow. I look forward to see the up and coming Doodlebeads.
Dawngolub wrote
on Mar 3, 2009 6:23 AM
I just watched your new Doodlebeads video and LOVE it! Thank you so much for this easy-to-understand lesson in Peyote stitch. I've read many instructions on how to create this stitch, but never has it seemed so clear and straight-forward as it is in your video. I can't wait to try this...and to see more of your videos. Keep up the good work!
JaimeG wrote
on Mar 3, 2009 7:19 AM
Awesome Video Leslie! Keep them coming! It makes me want to get out some beads and start trying!
AmyC@66 wrote
on Mar 3, 2009 9:30 AM
The video can be reached by clicking on the screen here on this page. I thought the video was really good for beginners. I taught myself this technique and wished I would have thought of the needle trick when I was trying to keep my beads in line. LOL I can't wait for more videos in the future. Thanks Leslie!
xaxi wrote
on Mar 3, 2009 12:56 PM
Excellent video, easy to follow. I look forward for more videos. Great way to learn. Thanks.
AlbertaB wrote
on Mar 5, 2009 8:41 AM
That is a great video. I have tried peyote several times and just given up. What I didn't do is pick up a bead as I started a new row. Also didn't do the needle trick. But this video is big enough so I can see it. Also most videos or instructions show steps one and two and then tell you to continue. Continue what? Your video went far enough so I knew what and how to continue. Obviously I am bead impaired so this is really great. Thanks so much. I enjoy your magazine too. Thanks again.
45Ratcatcher wrote
on Mar 6, 2009 10:19 PM
Great video maybe a few more pictures for those who have trouble relating to drawings. Overall a great video
SusanH@156 wrote
on Mar 8, 2009 7:15 AM
The Doodlebeads video is great! I learned even-count peyote from a book, with many false starts and frustrations before I finally figured out how to do it right. Having this resource to work from would have been wonderful; drawings are clear and simple, and relate beautifully to the actual bead shots, which are close enough that it's possible to see exactly what's happening. I can't wait to see the next video, since peyote is the only stitch I've managed to master - thanks, Leslie, for sharing your talents with us! Sue H.
SMagwood wrote
on Mar 8, 2009 8:58 AM
I absolutely LOVE this video!! It was simple and also had the written instructions to go along with it. I'm hoping to see videos of ALL the stitches in the future!
BlandinaK wrote
on Jun 12, 2009 12:42 PM
I think I remember seeing an episode of how to start bead crochet with an easy beginning. Would you redo or refer me to the "place"? Thank you Cythia
BarbFlavin wrote
on Aug 1, 2009 11:29 AM
I am soooo grateful to everyone responsible for creating Doodlebeards by Leslie Rogalski! FINALLY, I get it! I've purchased 3 books, but no matter how many times I read the instructions, I didn't understand. But Leslie's easy-listening-to-voice combined with her watch-as-you-go video did it! And the needle through the beginning bead row is ingenious! I think that's what truly saved me because every time I've tried to do this before, I'd get tangled up with trying to figure out which bead belonged on the bottom row and which one was the "next" row. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Thanks to this video, FINALLY, I'm actually able to finish a pattern! Wah-HOOOO! The only suggestion I would have is to show us where your other Doodlebead videos are. I stumbled on a listing of them in the middle of the night (when I first found THIS video) and for the life of me, I haven't been able to find them since. Can you give me some hints on how to find all of the Doodlebead videos? Or any other Leslie Rogalski videos? Thank you so much! Barb F
KipperCat wrote
on Nov 5, 2009 2:21 PM
You can find a list of Doodlebeads videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/InterweaveVideos I can't wait to look at some of the others for stitches I don't know. This is a fabulous way to learn, and Leslie's videos are clearer than others that I've seen. I really like the juxtaposition of the actual beads with the drawings.