How to Keep the Finish on Metallic and Dyed Beads

Sep 10, 2008

Tips for Unstable Beads

Sometimes I go bead shopping and dive right into the dyed and metallic beads, even though I know better. It’s as if my rational brain literally turns off. I get a faraway look, and my eyes start spinning with that “all the pretty colors” look. Then I come home and dump out my bag and, well, cuss.

The downfall of these little gems is their unstable finishes that can rub off or fade—it makes their beauty fleeting. Sometimes the change is caused by abrasion with other beads, thread, or skin; other times it’s from sunlight; and often it can happen from a chemical reaction with the oil in your skin.

The easiest way to find out if a bead is dyed is to ask the vendor. Most list that information right on the label with a “D.” If that’s not possible, the most suspicious clues include 1) an obvious surface treatment, where the color doesn’t come inherently from the glass or stone; 2) particularly vibrant or unusual color; and 3) a member of the purple and pink color families. Another way to find out is to get your hands good and sweaty by rubbing them together for a bit. Add the bead in question to your palms and rub again. Did some color rub off on your hands? If so, the bead is dyed.

Metallic, or galvanized beads, are much like dyed beads in that they are made by treating the surface with a coating to give it a shiny metal look. Again, ask the vendor if the bead is galvanized or check the label for a “G.” You can try the hand-rubbing trick with these, too.

Short of keeping them locked up in a hermetically sealed container and wearing gloves every time you handle them, there are a few things you can do to help keep your dyed and metallic beads looking good:

• Coat your beads with clear acrylic spray paint before working with them. If you’re working with seed beads, one way to do this is to pour them into a plastic zip bag, spray a bit of paint into the bag, shake the bag to coat the beads, and pour them onto plastic sheeting to dry. (Please, only do this technique outside or in a well-ventilated area and promptly dispose of that nasty plastic bag after you finish. We need to keep our brain cells fresh for beading!)
  • Diane Fitzgerald turned me onto Future clear acrylic floor wax for strengthening the stitched thread in finished seed-bead work, but it also works well for protecting unstable beads. It works best to dip the finished work in a dish filled with the stuff and then air-dry it on paper towels.
  • You can use light coats of a product like DesignaSeal, Mod Podge, or Diamond Glaze to seal larger beads with unstable finishes. Keep in mind that these sealers may change the look of your beads, creating a high gloss.
  • If you don’t want to mess with sealants or sprays but still can’t resist that metallic look, know that seed-bead manufacturer Toho has developed a permanent galvanized seed bead. I’ve worked with them quite a bit and they are very stable.

If you want to learn more about bead finishes, there’s an excellent section in The Beader’s Companion—one of my favorite go-to sources, and I helped write it! Purchase The Beader’s Companion.

Do you have some other ideas for fixing unstable beads? Share them on the site.

Jean Campbell writes about beading and life every Wednesday on Beading Daily. If you have comments or questions for Jean, please post them on the website. Thanks!

Comments

Yvette-eve wrote
on Sep 10, 2008 3:34 PM

I have tried Matte spray finish for pastels or charcoal drawings.  No shine and so far so good.  Yvette,

wolfanne wrote
on Sep 10, 2008 4:46 PM

Hi Can i use this spray on the metal iv been useing to learn to make ring and necklaces. thank you very much MaryAnne

Dreambeadr wrote
on Sep 10, 2008 5:15 PM

Keep in mind that coating a dyed bead with a sealant of some type is only a temporary solution to the color rubbing off.  As soon as the sealant wears away (and for those of us with a high pH level that is almost immediate) you're back to the original issue.

Also, a sealant will not help with the dyed bead fading from exposure to light.  Sadly, it's not a sunscreen.  =o)

Beki

www.whimbeads.com

RikkiB wrote
on Sep 10, 2008 7:25 PM

Can you please give more details about the Future acrylic floor wax for finished seed-bead work? Do you dip the entire finished piece?

Thanks,

Rikki

Ayerika wrote
on Sep 10, 2008 7:57 PM

re: How to Keep the Finish on Metallic and Dyed Beads

I usually use clear nail polish - two coats, and that seem to do the trick.

Angie

Kelli@23 wrote
on Sep 11, 2008 6:19 AM

I have also had experiences with sunlight fading semiprecious stone beads. I once purchased four strands of lovely pale blue chalcedony, and over time it turned a lovely shade of pale gray. I simply took the piece apart and redesigned with this new color in mind, but boy was I annoyed. My friend had bought the same stuff and was so annoyed, she went back to the vendor and demanded her money back. Then, I had some obviously dyed red quartz that sat out in the sunlight during a weekend-long show and turned a lovely pale pink. Sun will fade things, it's that simple.

--Kelli P.

on Sep 11, 2008 6:19 AM

Rikki-

For strengthening thread paths in your beadwork, just dip the entire piece in Future and let dry on paper toweling. I dip/dry several times for maximum strength.

Jean

on Sep 11, 2008 7:56 AM

Be careful using Future floor wax on inside color or color lined beads. It will take the color right out of the inside of the beads.

Cari

KateB@56 wrote
on Sep 11, 2008 12:06 PM

You can use ultra fine-tip permanent markers from a scrap-booking or calligraphy store.  It's a little time-consuming, but better than scraping a stitched piece when you find the finish has rubbed off.

MaryD@146 wrote
on Sep 11, 2008 4:12 PM

For drying the "preserved" beads, waxed paper seems to work best for me.  Many finishes will stick to paper towels and sometimes even plastic, esp. if they are still very wet when you set them down to dry.

Kathleenmary wrote
on Oct 1, 2008 1:09 PM

You spoke of coating beads. Thanks for that help - great ideas. I've been dealing with plated earring wires, lately. I remember a product, oh - 2 decades ago - smelled like fingernail polish, coated ear wires several times and prevented a reaction to the base metals.  - I tried some plain clear finger nail polish on ear wires recently  and I am not having a reaction to the copper finish wires - so, basically the same idea, a coating to protect finishes and protect us from the finishes, also...

I have got to try that "future" idea ! Doesn't it stiffen the  thread, though?

ChantalC@3 wrote
on Jan 21, 2009 11:00 PM
i want to make a round table cloth from beads but how do i keep it from going all wobily and wavey on the sides?
Kreations3 wrote
on Jul 31, 2009 3:13 PM
It was suggested to me to use spray fixative. I bought a glass since it was going on silver beads. THey are now, no longer shiny. Anythoughts?