V Scallop Necklace Preview, Plus an Interview with Lisa Kan

Mar 20, 2008

Meet Designer and Dreamer Lisa Kan

Have you ever dreamed about quitting your job and beading full time? Lampwork artist and bead designer Lisa Kan had the same dream. In 2001, she was a quality assurance engineer when she began lampworking. Now she sells her handcrafted beads at shows across the U.S. and just finished her first book, Bead Romantique, an art history-inspired beadweaving book for the intermediate and advanced beader. Learn how Lisa made the leap to full-time beading and what's next for one of the most creative and hardest working ("Who need sleep?") beader in the business. Read the interview.

One Week Only
Preview This Free Project: V Scallop Necklace

The votes are in! More than 7,000 Beading Daily readers voted on a free project from Bead Romantique, the new book by Lisa Kan. More than 50% of the votes were for the V-Scallop Necklace! (Instructions for the other two projects--Ndebele Pearl Medallion Earrings and Mesh Pearl Bracelet--are in Bead Romantique.)

Here's what Lisa had to say about the V Scallop Necklace:

"The V Scallop Necklace was inspired by the gem-encrusted collars that Hollywood mavens wore on the red carpet. The base of the necklace is a standard right-angle weave pattern which is embellished with a mix of Swarovski and rondelle pearls, in a diagonal orientation. The V shaping is a beautiful silhouette when worn with a V neckline dress or blouse. The crystals were used to add a little pizzazz, the pearls for elegance, and the scalloped edging (size 15s) for a soft touch of femininity. I used a vintage button as the closure, but you can use a commercial clasp, too.

Although colors have been suggested for this project, I can imagine the design in creams and crystal AB for a wedding look, too. You should not lock yourself to only colors I used. Play, have fun, and explore."

V Scallop Necklace by Lisa Kan
Free for one week only: March 21-28, 2008
The preview period has ended.  Find the instructions for this necklace in the book, Bead Romantique by Lisa Kan.

Meet Lisa Kan in Person

Lisa Kan will be signing copies of Bead Romantique at her booth (#218) at Bead Expo Portland. Stop by at noon on March 28-30, 2008 to meet Lisa and get your book autographed. Be sure to check out her beautiful beads while you are there!

What do you think? Do agree with this choice of free project, or do you wish that one of the other projects had been selected? Did you enjoy voting for the free project? Should we do that again?

Michelle Mach shares free beading projects and tips every Friday on Beading Daily. If you have comments or questions for Michelle (including suggestions for future free projects), please share them on the website. Thanks!

Comments

Celiawitt wrote
on Mar 21, 2008 11:30 AM
I'm extremely excited about this free project. And yes I voted for it. I can't wait to make it.
Celia Witt
MaryH@172 wrote
on Mar 21, 2008 11:36 AM
Lisa Kan's Vscallop necklace: yes, I love this project. It looks harder than it is. It's not so elaborate that you would never wear it. Others will say "How did you do that?!"
Zaz wrote
on Mar 21, 2008 11:42 AM
oh michelle,
that's just too bad that Ndebele Pearl Medallion Earrings did not win. they are fantastic like earrings in a renaissance painting. this one is firstly a necklace and i prefer that nothing obstructs the line of my neck. second, it's too frilly and has nothing to do with history... 3) it's too much "look at me".
well, i tried to make a difference with my vote...
Lavecca wrote
on Mar 21, 2008 11:43 AM
Thank you for the free copy of Lisa Khan's necklace from her new book. Really, should we be choosy about FREE? Perhaps you try too hard to please us. Just remember you can't please all the people all the time.
Beads make life good, Rebecca S Bell
Zaz wrote
on Mar 21, 2008 11:44 AM
... and such necklaces look "simple" next to very elaborate dresses of the past made of chiffon and velvet. with clothes of today they overbear us.
RachelR@23 wrote
on Mar 21, 2008 12:12 PM
I for one, voted for this necklace, and have been looking forward to seeing which pattern "won". So yes, I say do it again ! And for now I will just look forward to making this necklace.

Rachel
neldawn wrote
on Mar 21, 2008 12:36 PM
I'm going to try this project as soon as I finish the pin I'm working on. It's fun to vote so please keep doing this.
LornaC@2 wrote
on Mar 21, 2008 12:50 PM
YES! YES!
Wonderful necklace and wonderful idea
Lisa 's work is fantastic.
DorothyV@5 wrote
on Mar 21, 2008 12:58 PM
Thank You soooo much. I love the necklace pattern and see myself making a few. Going to order beads! Thanks Jackie
NancyL@67 wrote
on Mar 21, 2008 1:03 PM
I'm glad this is the free project..it is the one I voted for. I definatly will try this one.
Nancy L
OlindaV wrote
on Mar 21, 2008 1:03 PM
Thank you. This is the necklace I was looking for. I am glad it won. I look forward to continue enjoying Lisa's fantastic work!
CryssT wrote
on Mar 21, 2008 2:00 PM
i am very happy to have a free necklace pattern. i appreciate that i have another piece to help me improve my skills. please keep having projects to vote on. it may not be a project i like, but i can always learn from it or gift it.
thank you.
MarilynJ@14 wrote
on Mar 21, 2008 2:46 PM
I love the challenge of Lisa Khan's design, she simplifies what looks so intricate. Will certainly purchase her book. Thanks! Marilyn
AllegraC2 wrote
on Mar 21, 2008 3:57 PM
I definitely agree with this idea for voting for the occasional free project. It's fun and rewarding. I voted for this one too!
SharonE@20 wrote
on Mar 21, 2008 4:18 PM
Thank you Beadwork and Lisa Kan for the pattern for this beautiful necklace. It is simple enough for advanced beginners and beautiful enough for intermediate and advanced beaders. Keep the challenges coming.
on Mar 21, 2008 4:31 PM
I am nervous about making this necklace. I am fairly new to using seed beads for anything other than an accent. I am learning and I am gonna try this necklace.
The free projects push me to try different stitches. I have learned the RAW so I should be OK, right? LOL
I learned to do the net stitch from the "Elegant Netted Bracelet" by Deborah Meyer.
So just keep on doing what you are doing.
I look forward to the next free project.
rosie
lulu@21 wrote
on Mar 21, 2008 5:45 PM
Thank you for this necklace project, as it was the one I voted for. But, why don't you offer daily free projects? Wasn't that the original purpose of your website? Now you charge for alot of them. Please offer at least one free project a week.
Thanks, Terry March 21, 2008
KarenJ@61 wrote
on Mar 21, 2008 5:46 PM
I think it's a good idea. I enjoy projects. I then take them and add my "touch" to the project. Thanks again. Karen Jacobs - Oblong IL.
RoseD@15 wrote
on Mar 21, 2008 6:26 PM
While this is not the project I voted for, I am very grateful for the free project. Thank you so much.
Rose
on Mar 21, 2008 7:14 PM
Hi Terry,

We do offer a new free project every Friday. If that's still not enough (you must bead faster than me!), check out the "free project archives" on the Beading Daily website for some of the older projects you may have missed.

Michelle
RitaM@21 wrote
on Mar 21, 2008 8:00 PM
Thank you so much Michelle and Kim. What a wonderful surprise! getting this free project on Good Friday. Gifts abound. Looking forward to making this one after just learning how to make the basic spiral V-necklace on Ruby's free tut site. The generosity of bead designers never fails to amaze me. I was a victim of a layoff in September, and decided to pick up beading again after 30 years away from the art. If it were not for the blessings of these free tutorials SNIFF, I probably wouldn't have come as far as I have. Thanks to you and the beading world as a whole. You've all helped me heal more then I can say.

Rita Muller, FL
variadee wrote
on Mar 21, 2008 8:49 PM
I don't wear necklaces but prefer bracelets and earrings. Thank you anyway.
Shirley@137 wrote
on Mar 21, 2008 9:52 PM
It's great getting a free project before I get the book. Will try to get down to work it out after I finished my Bead Dreams contest piece. Oh mind, my fingers are itching for new projects !
castdeb wrote
on Mar 21, 2008 10:35 PM
I think this was a very good choice.
Thank you!
Debbie
ConnieC@25 wrote
on Mar 21, 2008 10:47 PM
I love this project. It is a lovely necklace and I like the free projects.
LindaK@61 wrote
on Mar 22, 2008 11:25 AM
I voted for another project, but I love to learn new stitches any time,especially if they are free!
I don't plan to make the necklace but I do plan to try and make a straight bracelet and see how that comes out. It definitely would be SUPER if you would post some more new free projects. Looking forward... Linda K/Israel
TerriS@30 wrote
on Mar 22, 2008 12:32 PM
I think the free project idea is great, and I like the idea of voting, Thank you !
MargaretB@49 wrote
on Mar 22, 2008 9:19 PM
Thank you very much for your free projects.As i have only started beading at 70years old ,I throughly enjoy every miniute and buy my Beadwork magazine in England Thank you Margaret
Pam wrote
on Mar 22, 2008 11:23 PM
Gorgeous necklace and a wonderful treat to have free projects. :} Fun to vote too. Special thanks to Lisa for allowing her design to be used and lots of good vibes being sent for the book sales.
Pam in OZ.
on Mar 23, 2008 7:21 PM
Love this free pattern. I voted for this one. Thank you. After looking at the directions and seeing how well illustrated and written they are, I can't wait to buy the book. Thanks Lisa.
StephanieN@9 wrote
on Mar 24, 2008 3:02 AM
I regretted not voting for it as it was past the due date. Regardless, I am happy with this free pattern and am also awaiting the arrival of Lisa Kan's book in my mailbox once April comes!
Samantha E wrote
on Mar 24, 2008 6:50 AM
I enjoyed voting and yes I did vote for this necklace!!
All of the entries were great. Thankyou for all the free projects. I have now subscribed to beadwork magazine and have just received it through the door, its really good this month full of spring ideas!!
It would be great if you do another vote, its nice to feel part of something!
thank you again for all the inspiration and fun posts.
mlourdes24 wrote
on Mar 24, 2008 7:31 AM
Good morning,
I downloaded Lisa Kan's V scallopped necklace, but got confused with her directions. I am not sure what CW and CCW means throughout her instructions. Could you please clarify. Thanks.
SherryT@11 wrote
on Mar 24, 2008 9:56 AM
Great pattern. I look forward to doing it. I can't really remember which pattern I voted, but I'm definitely excited about this pattern. I really think you should continue having us vote on different patterns and appreciate getting the patterns free. Great job.
AnneM@34 wrote
on Mar 24, 2008 10:36 AM
This free pattern is fabulous. How very generous to give it to us. I will be ordering the book through our local bookstore. Thank you very much.

Anne from Nipigon, ON, Canada
Justjen12 wrote
on Mar 24, 2008 3:11 PM
I love that we get free projects! Keep offering other ones!
Thanks-
Jennifer in IL
Sophy wrote
on Mar 25, 2008 6:24 PM
I think the voting is fun. Even though the project I voted for was not selected, I appreciate the free instructions. Although if I keep losing, I might change my mind :-)
jaoverbey wrote
on Mar 26, 2008 8:51 AM
I second the question from Maria R - exactly what is CW & CCW? Thanks!
SuzanR2 wrote
on Mar 26, 2008 1:13 PM
This necklace is nice. Thanks for the free project.It reminds me of some vintage pieces I have seen. I am always looking for vintage, deco, and Victorian projects with instructions, but I come across the same ones each time I search. Vintage beads and findings seen illusive as well. Any source suggestions?
SR
fiir wrote
on Jan 28, 2011 12:15 PM

i just found this site and i reallllllllllllly wanna make that V scallop necklace

can some one plzz mail it to mee.

its no longer available on this site :(

my email is humdum1@hotmail.com