Meet the New Contributing Editor: Jean Campbell

Feb 6, 2008

I'm pleased to introduce Jean Campbell as Beading Daily's new contributing editor.  Jean will join us every Wednesday for some serious beading fun!  Jean knows her beady stuff, but she's also not afraid to show her zany side.  She sent me some photos to include in future issues of Beading Daily and in one of them--believe it or not--she's dressed up as--well, I guess you'll just have to wait and see!--Michelle Mach, Beading Daily editor

Howdy!

Let me introduce myself: Jean Campbell, mother of two, working woman, bead freak.

I’m also a lucky lady because Michelle Mach, your daily messenger of the beading gods, has asked me to write a little ditty every Wednesday. Observations, stories, tips, and techniques. What a nice gig!

I actually have an official resume for this job. I’m the founding editor of Beadwork magazine and author of a bunch of books, including a few from Interweave Press: The New Beader’s Companion (with Judith Durant), Beaded Weddings, and Getting Started Stringing. I’ve also had the pleasure to edit a slew of Interweave books including the Beadwork Creates series, Stringing Style II, and other titles by bead designers (which means you can see my name in small print someplace in the book). Since then I’ve been working as a freelance writer and editor, happy to be doing my beaderly thing full time.

So yeah, blah blah blah, I’ve got a resume. But I’m pretty sure that’s not why Michelle called me up. I think she asked me to blog because she knows that despite the fact that my name is on a few book covers, I’m a lot like you:

• My bead stash has spilled from my office into the hallway.

• The other day I found one bead in the tread of my tennis shoe and another in the pantry (?!).

• I hide my bead shop purchases in my purse before I walk in the door to avoid any spousal interrogation.

• My kids were stringing seed beads and pearls with a needle and thread while their classmates were still stringing macaroni on yarn.

• I often make jewelry I’d only wear to meet the Queen of England, but I keep making it because it challenges my mind and makes me happy.

We bead people are an interesting and often quirky lot, aren’t we? We need to stick together, so I’d love to hear from you. Chat with you soon!

If you have beading comments or questions for Jean, please post them on the website. She'll be checking the website to learn more about you and what you'd like to see each Wednesday.  Thanks!

Comments

Marilyn@138 wrote
on Feb 6, 2008 11:52 AM
Jean, WELCOME ABOARD...the bead world has missed you. I
still remember your wonderful and enlightening visit to the Northern California Bead Society. My write-up on your inspiring presentation is still one of my favorites. Will certainly look forward to every Wednesday now for sure ! Thank you so much, marilyn peters
gardengirl@3 wrote
on Feb 6, 2008 12:02 PM
I enjoyed reading you today. I feel like you are indeed a soul mate~ Looking forward to next Wednesday. Yahoo~!!!!
ShellyC@11 wrote
on Feb 6, 2008 12:06 PM
Loved your comments! I feel we are kindred souls. I thought I was the only one who smuggled beads in my house to avoid "spousal interrogation"! Glad to know I'm not alone! Welcome!
LeaW@7 wrote
on Feb 6, 2008 12:09 PM
What wonderful news! Wednesday's will be special indeed for all of us.
Lea Worcester
Samantha E wrote
on Feb 6, 2008 12:42 PM
Looking forward to wednesdays now! Yes, I too am a little secretive when it comes to new bead purchases, beading sure is a real addiction! and as for beading books? its getting a bit obvious how many i seem to be acumulating as they sre beginning to stick out from under my bed! but my 'New Beaders Companion' sits proudly on my kitchen dresser for all to see!
Sandi@9 wrote
on Feb 6, 2008 1:14 PM
I am certainly looking forward to Wednesdays and I am another bead smuggler - in fact, if I order on-line I have them delivered to my office and stash them in my duffle bag when I go home. The beads have taken over my house - but beading keeps me sane. Looking forward to your next posting.
Sandi A
AllegraC2 wrote
on Feb 6, 2008 3:41 PM
I'd like to request a comparison between beading with a thread and needle, and beading with fishing line and your fingers because I've always just used fishing line (maybe because I learned how to bead in Chinatown). Which is better?
AllegraC2 wrote
on Feb 6, 2008 3:54 PM
Sorry I guess I'll clarify what I mean... the first thing I ever beaded was a 3-D cat, which I learned by paying a Chinese bead store owner in Chinatown for a lesson. Then I learned horses, pigs, dogs, etc. Then I started thinking things like "this horse's bum would make a great repeating unit for a bracelet" and started making jewelry with fishing line. You can see all my things I've ever made on my website at http://friendshipbeading.net
I've never used needle and thread.. is it better?
MichelleM@83 wrote
on Feb 6, 2008 3:59 PM
Hi! I had to laugh at your post! My husband found seed beads in the fridge! ...and I also hide receipts! Welcome!
Michelle
KelA wrote
on Feb 6, 2008 4:17 PM
Hi MOST Welcome Jean...i've been a fan of yours for
years!!! Missed you being mag editor..have your books...am SO looking
forward to your great artistic input here! Kel terrainkel@mchsi.com
TheresaF@13 wrote
on Feb 7, 2008 4:02 AM
Hi , I'm certainy looking forward to Wednesdays too!Yuor post really made me laugh, I'm also one of the guilty bead buyers that hides my purchases from my husband & as for making things only worthy of an audience with the Queen of England I so know what you mean!! I have just made something so beautiful i can't stop looking at it but know I probably won't have occasion to wear it. I do live in the UK though so you never know!
KarenP@22 wrote
on Feb 7, 2008 6:52 AM
I love your comment about "having jewelry only able to wear meeting the Queen of England". I also have this "problem", so I started hanging them around my artwork (that I collect) I looks great!
Juliann wrote
on Feb 7, 2008 9:33 AM
To Jean and Karen P: If I ever get to meet the Queen, I'm contacting you both! :)

--Juliann
London, UK
on Feb 7, 2008 9:59 AM
I had to laugh out loud when Jean mentioned having to hide her bead purchases in her purse before entering the house. I thought I was the only one who did that!!
DaniA3 wrote
on Feb 8, 2008 2:56 AM
Welcome Jean, I'm so glad you are on board. Your booking on Stringing is fanastic, I've been able to design pieces & thru some of the techniques + tips you offer, created my own designs!!

Thank you so much Jean for writing a book that's so easy for a beginner (only beading at the start of this year) like me.

I look forward to reading your column.

Dani,
London, England.
Bdoyle wrote
on Oct 2, 2008 4:53 PM

Hi Jean,

I know you probably don't handle this, but could you pass it on to someone who does please?  I am a subscriber to Beading Daily but it has been a while (maybe 2 months) since I have gotten a newsletter.  My email:  bdoyle@fcps.edu.  I I just found out about the Beaded Book contest and need to get started on that.  Thanks so much.

Betty Doyle