Kazuri Beads and Other Good Causes

Oct 18, 2007

Kazuri Beads and Other Good Causes

I fell in love with Kazuri beads at a local bead show. ("Kazuri" is the Swahili word for "small and beautiful.") I loved the bright colors of the ceramic beads and once I learned the story behind them--these beads are handmade by Kenyan women who are trying to support their families--I was hooked! You can find Kazuri beads at a number of places, including some local bead shops. At left: One of the Kazuri beads in my "Copper Cowgirl" necklace (Stringing Spring 2007)

Need more inspiration? Here are a few beaders who are using Kazuri beads in their designs:

• Feli at Life in Mono, Diary of an Iban Girl Abroad
  • Helen at the Ohio Beaders Showcase
  • Stone Wren at Human Beadings

Share the Beading Joy

On Monday, I mentioned Bead It Forward which raises money for breast cancer research. Here are a few other ways to share some beading joy:

• BeadforLife
    Purchase handmade beads and jewelry that Ugandan women create out of recycled paper (old calendars, magazine pages, cereal boxes).

• Beads of Courage
    Donate handmade lampwork beads for children with cancer.

• Layne's Legacy - Beading for a Cure
    Purchase a kit of beads and create a project to be auctioned off to raise money for the National Colorectal Cancer Research Association.

• Refugee Crafts
    Donate your leftover beading supplies to a group of ESL instructors and refugees working together to help the women learn skills and confidence through jewelry making.

Paper beads from Beads for Life

Other Ways to Help

A growing number of places help support artisians by selling finished pieces of handcrafted beaded jewelry. One example is Tropic Options, which sells pieces created by Mayan women of the Guatemalan highlands. Another example is the O Magazine bangle bracelets being sold to support women in Africa. (A list of places that sell these bracelets is available at Jane's Fiber and Beads.)

If you know about other beading charities, fundraising opportunities, or bead-related causes, please share the information in the comments section. Special thanks to Beading Daily readers, Margot, Jeanette, Sandra, and Eliza who contributed information to this list.

Beading and . . . Hardboiled Eggs?

Coiled Stiletto Earrings by Catherine Hodge
Not only can you learn how to create these long, coiled wire earrings, but you can also learn how to patina them using a hardboiled egg! This project is from the editors of Step by Step Wire Jewelry.

Have you started your earring project yet?

The deadline for the first Beading Daily reader challenge, It Takes Two Earring Challenge is two weeks away!

I'm also looking for reader examples of the Rubber Stamped Polymer Clay Beads project and examples of bead quilts or beaded quilts by Beading Daily members.

Coming next week: A beaded candle holder, the results of the "kitchen table" poll, plus an interview with Katie Hacker, author of 15 beading books and a presenter on the PBS series, "Beads, Baubles & Jewels."

Michelle Mach is the editor of Beading Daily. She is going to work on her earring challenge project this weekend. (Just because she can't enter, doesn't mean she can't use a good creative challenge!)

Comments

DawnR@17 wrote
on Oct 19, 2007 11:56 AM
Thanks for posting all the great charity work going on in the bead/jewelry world! I create jewelry for Relay for Life which is through the American Cancer Society. I donate a portion of all of my jewelry sales back to this organization as well. It's nice to be able to give back to some worthy cause! Great to hear about so many others supporting so many great causes! ~ Dawn Rhodes, Shade, Ohio
StaceyP wrote
on Oct 19, 2007 1:42 PM
I recently cleaned out my stash of beads, and donated some things to the Collateral Repair Project. Their "Beads not Bombs" campaign helps an Iraqi woman's craft co-op. They're leaving for Jordan on Oct. 27th, and they told me that response to this project has been very limited. You can check out their webpage at http://www.collateralrepairproject.org/BeadsNotBombs.html
Bead-dreamin wrote
on Oct 19, 2007 2:34 PM
I donate 10% of my sales to the Wounded Warrior Project (www.woundedwarriorproject.org) , a volunteer organization providing support for our wounded military and their families. Ann Shore, Bead Dreamin'
on Oct 19, 2007 3:31 PM
The Giving Bead (thegivingbead.com) donates a portion of their proceeds to orphan relief organizations.
SusanS@241 wrote
on Oct 21, 2007 8:51 AM
I am the Kazuri distributor for Ohio and carry over 10,000 in my shop - Gahanna Bead Studio. We will also be at the Intergem show November 9-11 in Columbus, OH for anyone interested.
Love Beading daily!
bgilo123 wrote
on Oct 21, 2007 6:28 PM
my father has recently passed away. I wanted to know if there was a bracelet for Parkinson's. I am intrested in rasing money for this cause.
bgilo123 wrote
on Oct 21, 2007 6:52 PM
ShannonV4 wrote
on Oct 22, 2007 6:22 AM
The Hope Bead Project @ http://www.cindybeads.com/projectmercy.htm
ShannonV4 wrote
on Oct 22, 2007 6:24 AM
Another great website that helps families in Ethiopia! http://www.cindybeads.com/projectmercy.htm
JulieC@35 wrote
on Oct 22, 2007 2:03 PM
www.justbeads.com has an auction going on for the month of October to support Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. If you go to the site, click on the pink ribbon on the upper left section of the screen and this will take you to items donated by bead artists for the auction. In some cases, it a collection of beads, some jewelry and other finised products. One bead artist is donating all the lampwork she can create in 8 hours in your choice of colors, etc. Really nice auction with a great cause!
LoriF@13 wrote
on Oct 22, 2007 9:07 PM
It's so good to see people giving back!
Most of my bead projects are fundraisers for the Bubel/Aiken Foundation, which supports the inclusion of children with disabilities into activities with their more typical peers.
www.bubelaiken.org
Lori
Anonymous wrote
on Oct 23, 2007 12:41 AM
I have been volunteering at an elementary school's after school recreation program for 8 years. I teach beading to those who sign up through the school's program. The school charges the kids and also provides them with snacks and cover my cost for the beads and other materials. I have mad many donations from various sorts. Some students, 8 to 12 yrs old repeated the classes many times.
Anonymous wrote
on Oct 23, 2007 12:45 AM
I have been volunteering at an elementary school's after school recreation program for 8 years. I teach beading to those who sign up through the school's program. The school charges the kids and also provides them with snacks and the school covers my expenses for the beads and all other materials. I have had many donations from a variety sources. Some students, 8 to 12 yrs old repeated the classes many times.
Ruth
KarenC@130 wrote
on Oct 23, 2007 7:10 PM
Another good cause is artaidsart.org
Women Beaders from Khayelistsha South Africa. They make beaded dolls and other art. Check it out some time.
Karen Curran California
Ann Fogarty wrote
on Oct 24, 2007 6:01 PM
I make rosaries for children receiving First Holy Communion at my parish. I also make mission rosaries for overseas missionaries. Info on this project can be found at Our Lady's Rosary Makers on the internet.
on Oct 25, 2007 12:05 PM
Just found a nice story about 3 young girls (ages 6,7,9) who are making jewelry to sell for breast cancer awareness
JulieC@35 wrote
on Nov 28, 2007 2:27 PM
When I read this article, I went to the link for Bead for Life and ordered a bag of loose beads, they are lovely. Gonna have to order a few more so I can create some color themes. The bag was multi-colored. Other nice things to see at the site, too.
JulieC@35 wrote
on Nov 28, 2007 2:27 PM
karrrn wrote
on Jul 10, 2013 3:16 AM

Hi everyone! Am Nora Adika a designer in Pokot beadwork services. Am looking for a partner from abroad so we cn be able to supply our products there. We started this small project so as to create employment opportunities to the jobless in our community.