Are you up to The Challenge?

Oct 7, 2007

The First Beading Daily Challenge

I'm SO excited to announce the first challenge for Beading Daily members! I was supposed to wait until Friday to announce it, but frankly, I thought I might explode if I waited any longer!

The theme: It Takes Two Earrings Challenge
For this challenge, combine two--and only two--different techniques from the ten techniques below to create an original pair of earrings.

1. bead embroidery
  2. brick stitch
  3. Dutch spiral
  4. ladder stitch
  5. macrame
  6. netting
  7. PMC (precious metal clay)
  8. square stitch
  9. stringing
  10. wirework

The Rules

• You must be a Beading Daily member to participate. (Your email address will be used to verify that you are a member.) It's free to sign-up if you're not already a member.
  • Only one submission per person.
  • Deadline: November 2, 2007.
  • Winners will be announced November 30, 2007.

To enter, please send an email to: beadingdaily@interweave.com and include:

• a high-resolution photo (JPG, 300 dpi) of your finished project
  • your name
  • your email address
  • your phone number (this will be only used to notify you if you win)
  • project name
  • the two techniques you used
  • in the subject line, please include: "earring challenge"

Incomplete submissions will not be considered.

Prizes

The editors will select their three favorite entries.

• First Place: A $50 gift certificate from Interweave Press.
  • Second Place: An autographed copy of Mastering Beadwork by Carol Huber Cypher, plus a $10 gift certificate from Interweave Press.
  • Third Place: An autographed copy of Create Jewelry: Crystals by Marlene Blessing and Jamie Hogsett
  • The winning projects and their designers will showcased on Beading Daily.

More Beading Challanges

If the first Beading Daily challenge doesn't interest you, don't worry. I'm hoping to have many different types of challenges in the future and there is sure to be one that you'll love! In the meantime, here are two other challenges to consider:

• You still have time to enter the current Stringing challenge. The theme is "Double Trouble" and the deadline is October 29, 2007.
  • Beadwork magazine is having a drawing where one lucky reader will get an challenge kit in the mail and create a challenge project that will be published in the magazine. Deadline for the drawing is November 5, 2007.

Coming on Wednesday: The results of the latest poll on favorite metals, the Bead Arts Awards, and more about this week's featured project.

Thanks to Beading Daily readers Suzanne, Myrna, and Linda who suggested that I use a marker to color my white Nymo thread (see A Case of Bead Doom). That never occurred to me! It seems a little sacrilegious--like writing in a library book. Does anyone else do that? (Color your thread, not write in library books. I don't want to hear your tales about writing in library books!)

Michelle Mach is the editor of Beading Daily. She is currently writing instructions for a bracelet with beaded beads that will be available for free to Beading Daily members.

Comments

gardengirl@3 wrote
on Oct 8, 2007 1:16 PM
What about bead crochet as one of the techniques? That is what I would like to use. Thank you! Esther Trusler
nightbeader wrote
on Oct 8, 2007 1:29 PM
Yeah, finally something other than stringing! I'm up for this challenge.

Beadily yours
Susan Feldkamp
nightbeader.blogspot.com
nightbeader wrote
on Oct 8, 2007 1:30 PM
Yeah, finally something other than stringing! I'm up for this challenge.

Beadily yours
Susan Feldkamp
nightbeader.blogspot.com
on Oct 8, 2007 1:38 PM
Hi Esther,

Sorry, for this challenge, only the techniques listed may be used. Future challenges will include bead crochet, but not this one.
LindaM@238 wrote
on Oct 8, 2007 6:37 PM
Yes, I've used markers to color my thread. I've also used markers to color Lacey's Stiff Stuff under my bead embroidery.
Linda
JylM wrote
on Oct 8, 2007 8:38 PM
Hi, Michelle,

Jyl Milner here (one of the 5 Beading Tips writers quoted a couple of weeks ago) - regarding coloring your white nymo with marker - I did that once early in my beading career (maybe 10 years ago) and used a Sharpie marker. It looked great - until I used clear nail polish on the knots! The color bled, and I'm relieved to this day that it was only a small earring I had ruined. My advice - TEST FIRST!!!
Timaree wrote
on Oct 8, 2007 10:55 PM
Is fringe considered stringing or is it bead embroidery? I was thinking of doing some embroidery with fringe and wonder if that is two techniques or just one.
ReginaM@14 wrote
on Oct 8, 2007 11:40 PM
Hi,
I am new here and was not sure where to post this. I am looking for animal shapes that are beaded? Or how to bead any shapes. Am having alot of trouble trying to figure this out. Any help is very appreciated.

Regina
on Oct 9, 2007 9:38 AM
Fringe is a separate technique that is not on the list of 10. So, for example, a piece that used fringe and square stitch as the two techniques would be disqualified.

However, you have a bit more leeway with bead embroidery--as long as you attach beads to cloth (using backstitch, fringe, or other techniques), that would be counted as just one technique -- "bead embroidery."

Please use the "contact" link if you have more questions for us!
Lois2037 wrote
on Oct 9, 2007 9:56 PM
Of COURSE I use a marker on my white nymo. I do bead embroidery with myriad colors, and that white thread sometimes just jumps off the surface. A marker in the right color corrects that, the thread becomes virtually invisible and I didn't have to either re-do that part or keep 20 colors of nymo on hand. I never thought of it as being sacreligious, though. It's just part of the art process.
MarciaF@4 wrote
on Oct 16, 2007 9:44 AM
I have submitted my e-mail numerous times and have yet to receive a password by return mail as promised. Are you really there?
marcia
on Oct 17, 2007 12:45 PM
Hi Marcia, Sometimes those password emails end up in spam folders. If you're still having trouble, please use the "contact" link at the top to send us an email--I promise those are read by real people!
JMarie107 wrote
on Oct 29, 2007 9:31 PM
I would like to know if when you are doing a ladder stich base for brick stitch, does this count as two stiches or one?