Make Your Own Pendant

Oct 2, 2007

Fear of Large Butterflies or How to Make Your Own Pendant

Only one element in the latest Beadwork challenge--a gorgeous 38 x 46mm brass filigree butterfly--felt large enough to use as a necklace pendant. But, honestly, it was so large it made me feel like ducking my head under the desk for safety. (Yes, as a matter of fact, I did watch a lot of Hitchcock films as a teenager.) Editors Melinda Barta and Danielle Fox were much braver--both of them incorporated the butterfly in their beautiful picture frame and necklace designs. (See photos of their projects on pages 90-91 of the October/November 2007 issue.)

With the butterfly out of my design equation, I decided to focus on the love birds connector piece.  I liked it, but it felt too small (19x14mm) to be a focal element by itself. So I merged three separate elements, plus some brown silk ribbon and size 11 seed beads.

These three separate pieces from Vintaj Natural Brass. . .

Filigree tube

Brass ring (25mm)

Love birds connector

became this . . .

Finished pendant

I liked the finished pendant, but I felt the necklace needed something more. But what?

At the time of the challenge, I was trying to figure out how to bridge the gap between stitching and stringing. I liked daisy chain stitch, but I didn't like how it looked when multiple daisies were next to each other. So I added single daisies to some of the individual pearls and turquoise nuggets donated by Galena Beads "Serving Creativity".

On Friday, I'll share the rest of my design story a.k.a. "A Case of Bead Doom" . . .

A Very Chic Cardboard Box

Those of you who enjoy more than one craft might relate to 19-year-old Beading Daily reader Lady Claye who wrote in a blog entry about crochet:

"Knitting is the next thing I will tackle. Either craft leads to a terribly expensive yarn addiction . . . add that to my jewelry finding addiction, bead addiction, and craft book addiction, and I'm living in a cardboard box.

But a very chic cardboard box."

The votes are in!

More than 1,870 Beading Daily readers voted on their choice for this week's featured free project. What a close race! Here are the results:

Flowerette Chain (41%)

Square Tube (38%)

Zig Zag Chain (21%)

The instructions for Flowerette Chain are below; Square Tube and Zig Zag Chain instructions are available in the book, Zulu Inspired Beadwork. Thanks to everyone who voted! I thought it was fun to have everyone vote for the free project. What do you think? Should we do this again with another set of possible free projects? Leave a comment on the website and let me know what you think!

Be sure to vote in our latest poll by Sunday, October 7:
What's your favorite metal for designing? I'll share the results next week.

Michelle Mach is the editor of Beading Daily. On her bead board: A mosaic clasp and some pearls. They want to be a necklace, really, but it doesn't seem to be working out . . .

Comments

JuneC@9 wrote
on Oct 3, 2007 1:13 PM
the idea of voting for the favorite beading piece is great!
kchis11 wrote
on Oct 3, 2007 1:37 PM
I missed out on the voting for the free project. I think it is a marvelous idea and hope to get in on it if you do this again.
I vote for you to do it again.
KC
MaryH@172 wrote
on Oct 3, 2007 2:11 PM
Yes, do the vote again! Good to preview the book projects, and fun to get the free instructions.
I think you need to add FRINGE to that necklace! Maybe with little brass butterflies or birds in it.
ChrisO@11 wrote
on Oct 3, 2007 2:25 PM
your website is fun because you are always doing something different and unexpected, like voting for a project, and telling us your process for the bead challenge. Keep up the great work. I vote yes for vote!
KrissS wrote
on Oct 3, 2007 3:12 PM
I think the voting idea is fun. It gives everyone an option, plus allowing them to see other projects for inspiration or sharing.
SandraS@79 wrote
on Oct 3, 2007 3:58 PM
is there a free project pattern to make the butterfly
filigree project?

pls advise, thanks,
Sandra
MicheleK@16 wrote
on Oct 3, 2007 4:34 PM
Please continue the voting on projects! Beading Daily is fun, especially the free downloads. It's like a little piece of a new issue every day!
on Oct 3, 2007 7:10 PM
Thanks for the comments, everyone! Sounds like there may be some project voting in your future. :)

Mary, Fringe -- really? I would have never thought about it, but now I'm wondering . . . hmmmmm

Sandra, the two projects from Beadwork that use the butterfly are just photos, not instructions, and only in the magazine. I can ask the designers to write up instructions if there is a lot of interest. Anyone else interested?

Also, check the Vintaj website -- they have a design gallery of project ideas.
StephanieN@9 wrote
on Oct 3, 2007 9:45 PM
Yes, pls continue the voting for free projects! I support you!
AngieT@7 wrote
on Oct 3, 2007 10:32 PM
I like the voting, makes me think I have a say in the whole thing! LOL!
DonnaF@41 wrote
on Oct 4, 2007 5:35 AM
yes, yes, yes.It makes one feel they are part of the project that is chosen.

donna langley bc canada
DebbieG@34 wrote
on Oct 4, 2007 7:53 AM
Yes, continue the voting for free proects. It's fun and I like to know what others are thinking !
SusanM@172 wrote
on Oct 4, 2007 8:03 AM
Absolutely continue the voting option. It allows us the oportunity to preview different books/patterns available. Might start a new love.
JenniK@3 wrote
on Oct 5, 2007 12:38 PM
Hi, I think your posts and magazine is such a pleasure for us in
south Africa, I cannot wait to get home at night to see what project you have next.
Jenni Karam
South Africa
Belatrix29 wrote
on Oct 7, 2007 4:52 AM
voting for a favorite beading piece is a great idea.Is it to late to vote for Square Tube
Clinevalerie wrote
on Oct 7, 2007 3:01 PM
I would love to vote again for a project from a book I don't have. I bought the Zulu beading book about a month before you show cased it on Beading Daily and I love the projects in it. I almost downloaded the fowerette Chain until I remembered that I have the book, what I'm I doing? But it sure was fun to vote anyways. Thanks.
Valerie C.
AnitaM@20 wrote
on Jan 6, 2008 6:58 PM
I have made the Zulu flowerett bracelett and it was loat of fun. I also made it as an earring.