Bead Crochet Inspiration

Sep 27, 2007

Wow! When I asked for examples of bead crochet from readers, I never expected such a big response! Not only did I get some great photos (view the gallery), but I also heard some good stories too. For example, Beading Daily reader Ellen Hess designed her first bead crochet bag to take to her son's wedding in Hawaii. She finished it the night before she left. Hmmm . . . that sounds familiar! (Remember A Wedding Story?) What is it about weddings that trigger all this last-minute creativity?

Here are four of my favorites:

Sylvia Murphy had several stunning pieces, including a bead crochet piece made with amethyst chips and a lovely green necklace with a green cab focal.

Stinta Ekholm from Sweden not only sent a link to her extensive online gallery of bead crochet work (I think she may have ever color combination imaginable!), but she also send a handy translation chart. (Did you know that "virka" is Swedish for "crochet"?)

Julie Smith's designs all have spunk and personality. I get the sense that there's a story behind each design!

Sonia Womble has some eye-catching wire crochet necklaces.

View the entire gallery

Want even more inspiration? Check out the bead crochet designs at the Art Bead Scene blog and the designs on this German website: www.perlenhaekeln.de

Crochet Tips:

"Crocheting with wire is exactly the same as crocheting with yarn, but it is harder on the fingers. Work slowly to avoid making mistakes, because raveling stitches will reduce the workability of the wire and may cause it to break; the appearance of the wire may also be spoiled."—Crochet Jewelry by Waejong Kim and Anna Pulvermakher

"A pair of fine chain-nosed pliers are an invaluable tool for bead crochet. Pliers will help you pull a stubborn thread through your work or break an extra or incorrect bead."—Bead Crochet by Bethany Barry

If you have more tips for bead crochet, please share them in the comments section. I'm curious: Did you learn to crochet with yarn first, then beads or wire? Do you reserve a special crochet hook for your jewelry work?

Coming Next Week: The votes are in for the free project from Zulu Inspired Beadwork! You'll get the winning project instructions next week, plus I'll have an interview with author Diane Fitzgerald. I'll also share the instructions for the wirework and daisy chain necklace that I created as part of the October/November Beadwork challenge.

Bead-Related Charity Events: I'm still compiling a list of bead-related charity events—from the donation of handmade beads to handmade jewelry being auctioned for charity. I'll share the list in a future newsletter. Thank you!

Michelle Mach is the editor of Beading Daily. She's beading on the road today again!

Comments

BettyLou wrote
on Sep 28, 2007 8:46 PM
I still have 2 crochet ropes that I made 55 years ago. I don't remember how I learned to make them but I remember stringing them back and forth the length of two rooms in order to get all the beads on. Nobody told me I could wind them up afterwards. They are still beautiful.
CynthiaC@45 wrote
on Sep 29, 2007 12:24 AM
These are stunning and I have met with someone who is a certified crochet teacher and a member of my bead society but don't you also cover Tatting with beads? I learned it from Nina Libin and she's got some awesome work projects. B&B covered her at least twice; her issues are collectors pieces. I hope you'll cover tatting as well as other forms of bead threadwork:D
WandaS@16 wrote
on Sep 30, 2007 12:20 AM
I didn't get the beaded snowman errings. got the other one that was advertised with the earrings. May I pleasw have the free snowman earrings?
on Oct 1, 2007 6:21 AM
I found an excellent crochet hook for wire crochet. I use a size G or H hook by Clover. It has a gold wide plastic handle that makes it easier on the hands when crocheting with wire.
Jstolpen wrote
on Oct 2, 2007 11:48 AM
I am looking for someone to teach me bead crochet...does anyone know of someone who gives private lesssons in the New Jersey area?
Patricia1 wrote
on Oct 3, 2007 3:59 PM
Hi, I've I am pretty new to beading, though not an absolute beginner...I absolutely LOVE IT !! Is beaded crochet work easy? I can manage a chain :-), although the thought of threading on loads of beads makes my head spin.....or is there an easy knack to it? It does look great doesn't it. Signed fellow enthusiastic beader.
TinaLjo wrote
on Jul 29, 2008 11:07 PM

I would love to koow how to do this.

dianew@70 wrote
on Feb 19, 2010 8:39 AM

I get how to make the bead crochet ropes but how do you make the fuller necklaces like Sonia's and some of the others? Thanks for the input!

on Feb 24, 2012 2:35 PM

Saw this on Beads Baubles  & Jewels TV show.  I do some yarn crocheting.  Interested in trying beginners crochet beading.  BB&J show  on 6:30 AM every morning on my antenna TV channel 44-2.

readhead1 wrote
on Feb 26, 2012 12:00 PM

I just started crocheting with wire and beads and am hooked. I learned the chain and double crochet with yarn years ago and havent done it again until now.  (These are the only stitches I know.)  Any  how to/ ideas for crocheting wire/bead necklaces and braclets that are a bit more advanced but do able for the beginner?