Easy and Fun Netted Cuff Bracelet

Sep 9, 2007

Faerie Queen Cuff
by Deb Mausser

This week's featured project is from the editors of Beadwork magazine.

Preview the Oct/Nov issue.

You know how sometimes you'll see a project and think that it was made specifically with you in mind?

The Faerie Queen Cuff by Deb Mausser was not one of those projects. It's lacy and girly, shiny and sparkly. Frankly, it's about as "un-Michelle" a project as you can get.

It's so not me—but I love it!

This bracelet is just plain fun to make. It's easy and quick—a great project to sit and do while watching TV or a movie, as long as what you're watching isn't so exciting that you forget where you are in the pattern. (I watched Monk and What Not to Wear during this project and only messed up the pattern once. I'll let you guess which show prompted the mistake!)

A couple of tips:

• You may need to cull your seed beads first and pick out any irregular ones (especially if you're going to do this with one eye on the TV and the other on your bracelet).
  • Try on the bracelet before you finish. You may need fewer or more rows than the project specifies.
  • If you won't be finishing the bracelet all in one sitting, make a note of which colors correspond to which places in the pattern (A, B, C).
  • Don't tug on the elastic, not matter how tempting!

I'd used elastic to create simple stretch bracelets before, but this was the first time I tried to do any off-loom beadweaving with elastic. I used Gossamer Floss, a very thin elastic that looks like dental floss. The beads don't flow down the elastic as well as they do with thread, but it's easy to use. I only ran into trouble once, near the end. Instead of gently trying to untangle the elastic (as the designer so wisely suggested in the instructions), I gave the elastic a good, hard yank and it snapped. Eek! I had to tie a second piece of elastic to the first and tuck the knot into one of the beads to hide it.

Post-It Notes made it easy for me to pick up where I left off

While I loved creating this bracelet, I still have one major problem—I have no place to wear it. (Well, that's not entirely true. Working at a creative company like Interweave, I can wear pretty much anything to work and no one will blink. Gossip, yes—especially if I decided to wear a full-length emerald green satin gown and tiara to match the Faerie Queen Cuff—but blink, no.)

My version of the Faerie Queen Cuff

So I either need to go shopping for a matching outfit (and tiara) or give this bracelet away to someone whose everyday style is naturally more princess-y than my own. Or maybe I'll do something else entirely. I just thought of an idea that might work, but you'll need to wait until Friday to find out!

On Wednesday, I'll share some tips for bead substitution. (You did notice that I used different beads than the original, right?) You'll also get the chance to vote on which project you want to see in a future issue of Beading Daily. In the meantime, go pick up some elastic and size 8 seed beads and get started!

Michelle Mach is the editor of Beading Daily. She's currently designing a new necklace for an upcoming business trip that will be filled with MBA types who probably have a different definition of "crafty." She trying to think of something business-suit-worthy, but not boring.  Any suggestions?

Comments

Carol DeanS wrote
on Sep 10, 2007 12:51 PM
Michelle - You could play on this idea for the MBA types: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=6249531
Carol Dean
Zaz wrote
on Sep 10, 2007 1:34 PM
hello michelle, i am french, i had bought an elastic thin transparant thread to knit along with any yarn type and needle size for ribbed cuffs and hems. it was annoying tu knit with as it clung to the needles and the yarn slipped. would that one be what u're refering to?
also what am thinking for work is a bold and simple statement, no lace or frills. maybe something cubic? empty squares linked together chain-like? wow! definatly no flowers...
zaz www.zazeway.blogspot.com
Blpmiles wrote
on Sep 10, 2007 2:13 PM
Michelle - I wear very conservative clothes to work but wear distinctive necklaces. If nothing else, they are ice breakers. Go for bold stones and have fun. Barbara LM
SaraJ wrote
on Sep 12, 2007 7:59 PM
The first thing that came to mind, although I hope it doesn't seem conceited, is a design of mine that looks great with more business style as well as with my teal leapard-print with pleated organza edged neckline top, too . . .I actually have two other necklaces I've meant to layer with it, but it looks good on its own, too. For scale, the cream rounds are6 and 4mm. Feel free for you (or anyone reading) to make one for your own use or as gifts! It was earlier in my wire-working, so forgive the sometimes wonky loops.

The copper rectangles are those Czech "niblets" or small 5x3 rectangles, in a coppery color.
SaraJ wrote
on Sep 12, 2007 8:01 PM
Woops, it'd help if I included a link: Delicate Tribal Necklace & Earrings by Sarebear
PeggyL@29 wrote
on Sep 13, 2007 10:28 AM
I've just joined this group, and I'm not exactly sure what to say, except that I've been beading for about three years, but have been afraid to try something like the fairy queen cuff. Actually I'm terrified! LOL. Up to now, most of my projects have been pretty easy ones, using beads and beading wire using simple supplies. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get over my fear? I really want to advance in my beading, because projects like the cuff bracelet are so beautiful.

Peggy
CarolM@3 wrote
on Sep 17, 2007 8:17 AM
to help you get over your fear, take a class. Check out the local bead shops and see what they have to offer. The other suggestion I have is check out the books by interweave press on the differant types of stitches. Each book takes you through step by step for that stitch.
on Jun 29, 2009 9:11 AM
Wow...I love that. I wish I had the patience....but seed beads and elastic hate me lol Christine http://BeadedIndulgences.etsy.com
bettysue2 wrote
on Mar 24, 2011 1:31 PM

All the images are missing.  Is there a way to fix the file to have them show up again?