The Four Laws of Beading

Aug 2, 2007

I have this fascination with laws. Between the "three laws of robotics" from I, Robot to the "five laws of library science" that I learned back in library school, it was only natural that when I coordinated the first Beading Daily challenge that I would finally figure out the "four laws of beading."

1. You cannot make just one.

I thought that the number of kits sent out would equal the number of projects sent back in. If you send out 20 kits, you should get 20 projects back, right? Silly me! Apparently, I was using the kind of useless logic they teach in junior high, not the kind that applies in the world of beading. Special beader logic dictates that if you send kits to 20 beaders, you get 31 projects back. (And yes, I was one of the people who made more than one project!)

2. It's hard to resist the lure of the bead.

I was also surprised by the people who chose to participate—and those who did not. The majority of the participants did not work for one of our beading publications. In fact, several of them were in the fiber area—knitting, quilting, spinning, weaving. I'm guessing that the fiber folks did not have a large bead stash—maybe no bead stash at all. (Let's have a moment of silence here while we reflect on that . . . I know, it makes me feel like crying too!) Naturally, an offer of free beads was an offer they couldn't refuse.

3. Beaders love to share.

When I took a closer look at the list of designers, I was even more amazed: two of the people were not on my original list! In other words, I did not give them a kit! How did they manage to make a project? Two people who could not do the challenge gave their kits to other people. Sweet!

Until yesterday, I thought that there were only three laws of beading. But then, Leslie Rogalski, editor of Step by Step Beads, said something that made me realize I had forgotten one very important law. When looking over all the projects, Leslie remarked that it was astonishing how we all found time to do them. And so, thanks to Leslie, we have the final law:

4. There's always time to bead.

Comments

SaraJ wrote
on Aug 3, 2007 12:57 PM
The projects are all beautiful, and so creative!!

I thought I didn't have time to sneak in a bead project, but I've been working on a necklace inspired by Sunset Rain in the Stringing Spring 07 issue. I THINK it'll be called Anticipating Mermaids. I've slowly been collecting the materials that I didn't have for the color scheme & theme I had in mind, since I first rec'd this issue (by subscription! I jumped on that as soon as I could . . . .)

I'm also working on some stitch markers, that I need a certain quantity for, a 540 cast-on stitches shawl.

Thanks to EVERYONE who participated in this challenge, or passed their kit on to a new participant. Thanks to IW for sharing a beautifully laid out and put together document for us to peruse!
AuroraF wrote
on Aug 3, 2007 1:25 PM
I like your last rule--thre is always time to bead. So true! especially if you havea deadline looming...;-)
LC7196 wrote
on Aug 3, 2007 2:44 PM
I have a rule to add -
#5 - There's no such thing as "Too Many Beads".

Also on #3 - Beader's Love to Share - It's not just their beads, it's also their time and knowledge. Beaders are just very generous.
carolos wrote
on Aug 3, 2007 2:58 PM
hi would like to know if any one has nice bridal jewellery patterns they would like to share
Kelli@23 wrote
on Aug 6, 2007 1:33 PM
Years of succumbing to bead lust led me to decree for myself the following law: "There is no such thing as too many beads." Does anyone else have a law they made for themselves?
SaraJ wrote
on Aug 6, 2007 1:47 PM
bead true to yourself.
JudyL@40 wrote
on Aug 10, 2007 7:10 AM
Hi, I'm new here. The four laws made me laugh. They are so true. I'm looking forward to reading more posts.
Judy
RutheS2 wrote
on Aug 11, 2007 7:06 PM
I also am new here and I enjoyed the four laws. I too think that you can not have too many beads.I have been slack in my beading for a few months but am getting back at it again. I just finished a watch and a bracelet for my youngest daughter.(As though she didn't have enough of Mamas jewelry.) When she sees something in a shop or store she says "My Mama can make that, I don't have to buy it." enjoy the posts.
LisaF@51 wrote
on Aug 13, 2007 12:25 PM
To paraphrase a saying about drinking and going to heaven....
"When I'm bored, I bead.
When I bead, I can't eat.
When I can't eat, I lose weight.
Therefore, beading will make me skinny." :)
FauziaA wrote
on Aug 13, 2007 1:49 PM
I too am new here I agree to the laws including the fifth one. To me beading works as some kind of soothing therapy I have taught my 10 year old daughter who is suffering from a rare liver disease to weave on a loom.
KrisH@12 wrote
on Jan 14, 2008 7:30 AM
Rule #5 There's no such thing as too many beads! YES! This is a great site. I've played w/beads off & on for 30 yrs - still have a few oldies I just can't part with! Thanks