Magnetic Glue-in Clasps From York Beads

Jul 18, 2014

It's not often that I get this excited about a new clasp, but these incredible magnetic glue-in clasps from York Beads have me re-thinking the way I design and create beaded jewelry.

I first noticed these heavy duty magnetic clasps in the work of Aurelio Castano. Aurelio's sleek, modern bead-weaving designs don't require much for the perfect finish. His designs are simply beautiful in their own right, but the clasps that he chose to use enhanced the overall design without distracting from the beautiful beads and bead-weaving stitches he chose for each piece. After people started asking where they could get their hands on a few of these gorgeously simple clasps, Perry Bookstein at York Beads found a source for them and now offers them in-store and online.

Shelley Nybakke took up the challenge next, using the clasps with some of the lovely new etched farfalles from York with absolutely stunning results. By this time, I decided that it was time for me to play with my beads again, and I snagged a few clasps for myself, eager to see what I could do with them.

Now, these clasps are different from most of the jewelry findings that I've used in the past because they require that the beadwork be glued into the finding. Admittedly, I was a little hesitant, only because I've had trust issues with glue in the past. But gluing my beadwork into these beautiful clasps was easy using E6000 glue, and I'm happy to report that they have held up extremely well.

Here are a few tips for using these glue-in magnetic clasps:

1. While these clasps definitely have a minimalist look, they work best with big, bold beads. Think aged striped seed beads, etchded farfalles, melon beads, or even Czech fire polished beads in bold colors.
  2. Size 8 seed beads work best for inserting and gluing into the clasp ends. If you must use size 11 seed beads, wrap a scrap of Ultrasuede around the beads, stitch it to the beadwork, and use that little fabric "tab" to glue the beadwork into the clasp.
  3. Add the glue to the clasp before you add the beads. You can either use a syringe tip on your tube of glue, or squirt a small amount of glue directly into the clasp and use a toothpick to spread it evenly before inserting the beadwork.
  4. Give that glue PLENTY of time to dry before you try on your bracelet! It's so very tempting to just pick it up and slap it on your wrist, but until the glue dries completely, the pull of these strong magnetic clasps will yank that beadwork right out of the clasp. So put it down, walk away, and distract yourself for at least an hour before you try to wear your new beaded creation!

If you've been hesitant to experiment with glue and beadwork, these magnetic clasps are the perfect way to get started. Set aside your expectations, keep an open mind, and you'll be surprised at just how functional and beautiful your beadwork can be. Ranging in price from $4 - $6 USD, these clasps are an affordable addition to your stash of jewelry-making findings.

Ready to play? Check out these links for more information and beading patterns from Aurelio and Shelley:

Beads and clasps from York Beads

What do you think of using glue-in findings for your beadwork? Do they open up new design possibilities for you? Or are you hesitant to start mixing beads with glue? Leave a comment here and share your thoughts with us!

Bead Happy,

Jennifer

Comments

cmahoney01 wrote
on Jul 18, 2014 3:21 PM

York beads is for wholesale purchase. Where can a header buy the magnetic clasps you show?

Capriccio wrote
on Jul 18, 2014 4:29 PM

Besides where to purchase the clasps (not wholesale), are any patterns available for the designs shown above?

Maxnmaisy wrote
on Jul 18, 2014 4:50 PM

found something similar here: store.goodybeads.com/.../A010798.html

Helen@161 wrote
on Jul 18, 2014 5:17 PM

I don't need 100 clasps only 1 or 2.  Where can we get them.  Not fair to tease us with these beauties

dw23 wrote
on Jul 19, 2014 6:50 AM

An Etsy shop and China has them for much less.

www.etsy.com/.../10-sets-2014-new-design-style-gold

on Jul 19, 2014 8:19 AM

Where to buy retail?

on Jul 19, 2014 5:11 PM

I just placed an order on etsy.com at the dede Jewelry company for, not only these clasps, but 4 others of like design, all magnetic, and all different metal finishes.  Watch the shipping charges:  most of mine were $1.50, but one was $3.50 for just 5 clasps (it was worth it to me!).  All of these are made in China and the reviews of past customers were all raves except for one person who didn't get her order on time and was irate (she lost sales).  They have discounts for orders over $100 (mine was only $26.10 and didn't qualify for any of the discounts on prices nor shipping), so if you buy in quantity you can save even more money.  Hope this helps all those asking about where to buy these sleek clasps!

pbeadsnyc wrote
on Jul 19, 2014 6:27 PM

www.ebay.com/.../271553244011

4 clasp for $20.00 can mix and match and have old gold old copper and other finished not just gold and silver

pbeadsnyc wrote
on Jul 19, 2014 6:30 PM

www.ebay.com/.../271553319778

The fancy etched ones

marykaymos wrote
on Jul 19, 2014 8:50 PM

I don't mind using glue, it adds an extra bit of security to your product.

Sally@6 wrote
on Jul 20, 2014 2:04 PM

The two eBay sites have photos of works by Aurelio and you, Jennifer. FYI.  And thanks to everyone for the links.

omicron700 wrote
on Jul 25, 2014 10:45 AM

These are beautiful clasps. I made one of Shelley Nybakke's etched farfalle bracelets, and the thing is absolutely gorgeous. I was so proud and was planning to wear it the next day. When I put it on and then turned my hand to pick up my purse, the clasp popped right open. I was dubious about the magnet but was willing to take the chance considering the reputations of those who recommended them. However, now I have a stunning bracelet that I can't wear because the clasp won't hold under any kind of movement. I can attach a safety chain, but that won't keep the clasp closed. I am very sorry to be a nay-sayer in this case.

jocannon wrote
on Aug 4, 2014 7:20 PM

Beads on Cannon in Charleston, SC sells them by the piece.

jocannon wrote
on Aug 4, 2014 7:20 PM

Beads on Cannon in Charleston, SC sells them by the piece.

jocannon wrote
on Aug 4, 2014 7:22 PM

Beads on Cannon in Charleston, SC sells these clasps.

dw23 wrote
on Aug 23, 2014 11:05 PM

I'm still fairly new to beading and thus rather inexperienced with using glue. However, I do have large tube of E6000 in my stash of jewelry making supplies. I successfully finished Aurelio Castano's "Azecta" bracelet pattern and attempted to attach the magnetic glue-in clasp, but was unsuccessful.

I opened the tube of glue for the first time, attached a tip and attempted to squeeze the glue into the clasp. I attached the bracelet but it would not stay in. (Too much glue, perhaps?) When I feared that I would ruin the bracelet I took it out. What a mess. I used nail polish to wipe the glue off the bracelet. Luckily I didn't ruin the finish! There's still glue on the clasp though. Fortunately for me, I purchased 15 sets! (Total purchase less that $20 including shipping.)

I also purchased a smaller tube of E6000. I hope it'll be easier to work with the second time around. I'll even get my hands on some toothpicks, just in case. (-:

btw I purchased the clasps from www.etsy.com/.../dedeJewelry