Beading Needles I Love: New Tulip Brand Beading Needles from Japan

Jun 8, 2011

Ever since Carole Cypher returned from her adventures in Japan last year, I've been hearing about these amazing new beading needles that she brought back with her. Tulip needles were reputed to be stronger, more flexible, and less likely to bend and break than other types of beading needles.

Tulip beading needles from Japan come in these neat little tubes!

The first thing I noticed about these needles is the little plastic tubes in which they're packaged. Little tubes with cork stoppers - the stoppers came out pretty easy when I was removing each tube from its box, so putting them in another type of storage container - either a needle case or a magnetic needle book - is going to be important.  When I picked up the first needle, I noticed that it definitely had a heft to it that you just don't feel with the John James or Pony needles. The Tulip needles are size 11, so yes, they are bigger than the size 12 needles that I've been using, but not quite as thick as the size 10 sharps that I sometimes use. The heft and thickness made me worry about getting the needle through a size 15o seed bead multiple times without breaking the needle and/or the bead.

The eye of the Tulip beading needle is gold plated.

Looking closely at the Tulip needle, I noticed that it does indeed have gold plating around the eye, and it was much easier to thread this slightly larger needle with my favorite 6 lb and 10 lb test Fireline than a regular size 12 beading needle.

It was time to put this needle to the test, and I had the perfect project: I had been working on a three-dimensional flower made from five separate peyote-stitched petals with a Swarovski crystal Rivoli in the center. The petals needed to be assembled and the Rivoli attached in the center of the petals. If there was ever a test for getting a needle in and out of a tight spot, this was it.

I used the Tulip beading needle to assemble this peyote stitch flower and attach the Rivoli in the center.  And it stayed as straight as it had been when I took it out of the package!

I was feeling a little nervous as I stitched through the size 11o cylinder beads along the edges of the petals and even more nervous as I tried to work the needle through the tightly stitched peyote in the center of the petals.  But even when I had to use my pliers to wiggle through a tight spot, the Tulip beading needle kept its shape, and I didn't break a single bead!

After stitching the bezel for the Rivoli and attaching it in the center of the newly assembled flower, I was hooked. The Tulip beading needle performed flawlessly, and it was just as straight as it was when I slid it out of the tube.

I used the same needle to add some heavy embellishment to a beaded bag that I was working on for a group project, and it still held its shape. This time, I used all size 15o seed beads and some gemstone drops and rounds with smaller holes. The size 11 Tulip needle had no problems passing through both the seed beads and the gemstone beads with a length of 6 lb test Fireline.  I was totally amazed.

While the Tulip beading needles cost more than the Pony needles or the John James beading needles, I think this is an investment worth making for anyone who is a serious beader.  Tulip beading needles seem like they will last longer and are less prone to bending and breaking than the Pony and John James beading needles.

Ask for Tulip brand beading needles at your favorite bead shop or contact Carol Cypher for a list of bead shops where you can purchase them.

Bead Happy,

Jennifer

Comments

AngelineB wrote
on Jun 10, 2011 5:35 PM

Now I must have these, I am brutal on my needles, so we will see if these are any better for me.

ceg27 wrote
on Jun 12, 2011 8:52 AM

where can I get these Tulip needles?!  I too am hard on my needles

JudyR@62 wrote
on Jun 12, 2011 9:13 AM

You can buy Tulip Brand beading needles at www.CarolCypher.com

flyingbeader wrote
on Jun 12, 2011 9:25 AM

I just bought these at the Bead & Button show from Out on a Whim & they are wonderful.  I took Carol Wilcox Well's 3 day Master class & used the size 11 bead.  Through 3 grueling days it kept going & I didn't break it until I tried to squeeze it through a pathway that I should not have.  They feel great in the hand and are easier to thread as the eye is gold.  They are flexible enough for all those turns and twist that would totally destroy any other needle.  I think I was the only one in my class that only had one failed needle.  Everyone else broke at least 5-6.

dot

kdisimone wrote
on Jun 12, 2011 9:34 AM

I will have to try thses they sound like the will hold up and not bend like mine always do.  I have a little helpful

hint.  When my needle gets stuck in a tight spot, I use my round rubber jar opener.  It works wonderful on

pulling the needle thru, just as easily as it opens a lid on a jar.  I now keep it in with my beading supplies.

cfoiles wrote
on Jun 12, 2011 9:35 AM

The needles sound great -- I'll have to try them.  I would also love to get your pattern for the flower.  Is it posted somewhere that I can download it?

on Jun 12, 2011 11:39 AM

I'm so glad to read about the "Tulip Needles". I used to bead on moose hides for mocassins. In those days I used the "rubber fingers" from the stationary department. I would rubber finger the thumb & next two fingers thus rarely having a need for pliers.

ICrashIn wrote
on Jun 12, 2011 4:24 PM

Hi All, does anyone know here I can get these in UK? Thanks

NancyG@83 wrote
on Jun 12, 2011 4:31 PM

City Beads in Chicago also has them...and the size 13s are fabulous too!

on Jun 12, 2011 7:47 PM

to all: I was at Hobby Lobby yesterday and I think I saw the Tulip needles in the beading/doll making isle.  Good Luck trying to find them!!

on Jun 13, 2011 5:07 AM

Hi. I just wanted to say that I completely agree with this review for Tulip needles. I use a single needle for my different projects for about three weeks now, and it still works perfectly fine. Jennifer just forgot to mention that the needle's end is rounded, and for this reason it never splits the thread - to me it's a very important quality. I would strongly recommend to give these little treasures a try - you wouldn't want anything different after that, guaranteed!

BTW: i bought them at www.CarolCypher.com as JudyR mentioned in her comment, and Carol is really friendly

Happy and joyful creation to all,

Svetlana

Penny@117 wrote
on Jun 13, 2011 5:15 AM

Could anyone let me know where to buy these needles in Australia, please?

JaneMichael wrote
on Jun 13, 2011 6:09 PM

This sounds wonderful! I want to try these out immediately! Carol Cypher is my favorite bead author, too!

whyjenny wrote
on Oct 24, 2011 8:09 PM

As I do a lot of beading with size 15/0 I figured the smallest tulip beading needle would be the best. I bought two size 13's at 14.99 plush shipping and handling, making two needles nearly 20.00. I'm not even a 3rd of the way through a projects using 11/0's and 15/0's and I've broken one of the needles. The claim that they're resilient to bending and breaking seems to be false. I don't feel like I'm any harder on needles than the next beader out there, but these sure didn't last long. My two bits... don't wast your money. I could have bought 5 time's as many needles for that price.

cilla1 wrote
on Mar 5, 2013 12:13 PM

i like the big eye needles but i will try the tulip ones when i see them