As I go further into my daily practice of yoga and meditation, I'm learning more about the ancient beliefs surrounding the physical and spiritual aspects of the poses. I'm particularly interested in the chakras, or energy centers, that are believed to exist in certain key areas of the body. There are colors associated with each of the seven chakras, or energy centers, and they can be used to balance our mental, spiritual, and emotional well-being. I wanted to find a way to express my own connection with the chakras, so I decided to make a necklace using crystal beads to symbolize each of the seven energy centers.
At first, I had envisioned a very complex pendant, but as I sat with my crystal beads and thought about what I wanted my chakra pendant to look like, I realized that sometimes, a simple design is the best. You can make your own chakra pendant using crystal beads in just a few minutes, too!
- 7 crystal beads, Swarovski 5052 6mm mini round bead in the following colors: Crystal red magma, crystal golden shadow, sunflower, fern green, aquamarine, amethyst, crystal AB
- 14 sterling silver or silver-filled seamless beads, 2.5mm
- 1 sterling silver head pin, 20 gauge, 1 1/2"
- 6 sterling silver head pins, 20 gauge, 2"
- 18" of sterling silver chain (your choice of style)
- Clasp of your choice
- Flush cutter
- Chain nose pliers
- Round nose pliers OR
- Combination pliers
- On the head pin, string 1 sterling silver bead, the first crystal bead (go in the order that they are listed in the materials list), and 1 sterling silver bead. Make a wrapped loop at the top.
- On each of the first 5 eye pins, string 1 sterling silver bead, a 6mm crystal bead, and 1 sterling silver bead. Make a simple loop at the top, joining the links together as you go.
- For the last crystal bead, string 1 sterling silver bead, the crystal bead, and 1 sterling silver bead. Make a wrapped loop at the top of the eye pin large enough for your chain to pass through.
- Slide the pendant onto the chain and attach the clasp.
The finished crystal chakra pendant is approximately 4 1/2" long, so expect it to dangle gracefully from the chain. You can also make it longer for a more dramatic look! Wear it when you need a little boost in your mood — the rainbow of colors is guaranteed to make you smile.
Jewelry made with crystal beads and pearls never really goes out of style. Whether you're looking for simple or sublime (or both), you need to check out Create Jewelry: Pearls. With 22 pearl jewelry projects ranging from classic to modern, and suitable for pretty much any occasion, you just can't go wrong with pearls. Now is the time to get your copy of Create Jewelry: Pearls and save 70% off the original cover price during the Interweave Overstock Book Sale.
If you've ever wanted to complete your collection of this timeless series of jewelry-making books, take advantage of the special savings through February 14, 2013 at 12:00 midnight CST.
Are you ready for a little giveaway to brighten up your winter?
We have 19 copies of Create Jewelry: Crystals to give away, along with 19 prize packs of brand-new crystal beads from our friends at Fusion Beads! Just leave a comment on this blog between now and 12 midnight, CST on February 27, 2013. We'll randomly choose 19 winners to receive a copy of Create Jewelry: Crystals along with this fabulous crystal bead prize pack. (Please note: due to customs regulations, giveaway is only open to those residing in the United States at this time.)
The crystal bead prize pack from Fusion Beads includes a great selection of Swarovski Elements crystals from two of their most recent launches. From the Swarovski Innovations Fall/Winter 2013 launch, there are an assortment crystal beads in the new crystal color Light Turquoise, and the new effect, Crystal Blue Shade.
Also included is a sampling of Swarovski's new Mini Bead line — two sizes of the round bead and two sizes of the oval bead. These two bead shapes are a great basic bead for many designs.
From the newest Swarovski Innovations launch for Spring/Summer 2014 comes the new crystal color, Light Silk, and the new effect, Crystal Rose Gold 2x, as well as the new crystal pearl color, Rose Gold. These three colors and effects were just announced last week, and are so new that the winners of this giveaway will be some of the first to have them! Fusion Beads has also included a new pendant shape from Swarovski Elements, the 6028 Oval Pendant.
As a special offer for Beading Daily readers, you can take 20% off your entire purchase of $50 or more at Fusion Beads by using the code SPARKLE20! (Offer expires March 4, 2013.)
Good luck, and bead happy!