I love a good challenge, don't you? How about the challenge of using a cabochon, without a hole, in a piece of beaded jewelry? When I was learning how to bead, I was thrilled to find out that I didn't need to know metal smithing techniques to include my favorite gemstone cabochons in my beaded jewelry projects.
Making a beaded bezel for a cabochon is a lot easier than you might think it is. If you know how to do bead-weaving stitches like herringbone stitch, right-angle weave, and peyote stitch, you can make cabochon settings out of seed beads that rival even the finest metal cabochon bezels.
Ready to start learning more about including cabochons in your jewelry-making projects? Read on! We've collected five great cabochon beading projects here for you, including a tutorial for making cabochons out of resin and old postage stamps!
- Make your own resin cabochons using old postage stamps with Melinda Barta's fabulous project instructions for her Return-to-Sender Focals.
- Use herringbone stitch to make beautiful cabochon bezels, too, when you try Melinda's Brilliant Bezels project.
- Jean Campbell's gorgeous Eau Claire beaded necklace showcases a fabulous handmade ceramic cabochon with beaded beads – two of my favorite things in the same beaded necklace project!
- Lisa Kan's Captured by Pearls is a classic and easy project that embellishes a pretty cabochon with dainty freshwater pearls.
- Finally, for a more modern beaded necklace using a cabochon, try Alicia Shems' Jeweled Backlace for a unique beading project using your favorite gemstone cabochon.
We've also included a selection of some of our most popular Beading Daily blogs, all about how to create bezels to capture your favorite cabochons!
- Learn how to make an easy right-angle weave bezel for a cabochon or crystal stone.
- Read about my adventure using wire to create a Viking knit bezel for a special gemstone cabochon.
- Of course, not all cabochons are round, so we've also included instructions for making a triangle-shaped cabochon bezel. (You can easily adapt this technique for making square cabochon bezels, too!)
- And if you've ever wanted to include cabochons in your bead embroidery projects, we've included a step-by-step tutorial on how to use peyote stitch to create a cabochon bezel for bead embroidery!
Cabochons can be used for so many great beaded jewelry designs, including rings, earrings, and bracelets – we hope this collection of cabochon jewelry projects inspires you to start creating with cabochons today!