I have to admit, half the reason I love watching Downton Abbey so much is for the gorgeous period costumes and jewelry. I love glass beads, the crystals, the diamonds and pearls, and the delicate metal work of Edwardian jewelry, and very often find myself inspired to create beaded jewelry designs using these gorgeous elements.
And I know I'm not alone — why else would have the editors of Beadwork and Jewelry Stringing magazine have put together an entire collection of a dozen Edwardian-inspired beaded jewelry making projects? To celebrate the beauty of Edwardian jewelry, I've put together a little blog hop for us here on Beading Daily, and I hope you'll join us for some fun!
How to participate in the Beading Daily Edwardian-inspired Jewelry Blog Hop:
- To participate, you must have a blog. If you don't have one yet, now's a good time to start! You can find some great tips for blogging in a couple of my previous posts here on Beading Daily: So You Want to Start a Beading Blog? will give you a few basics for creating a great beading blog. Next, if you need some inspiration for what to write about on your blog, check out Follow the Path, a blogging resource written by Lori Anderson, one of my favorite bead bloggers, and the creator of the Bead Soup Blog Party.
- Next, figure out what kind of Edwardian-inspired jewelry you want to make. The sky's the limit, here! You can make earrings, necklaces, bracelets, tiaras, or any other kind of beaded jewelry that uses your favorite design elements of Edwardian jewelry. I've been working on a new beaded necklace design using some of my shell pearls from Lima Beads, two-holed seed beads, and vintage Czech pressed glass beads with right-angle weave.
- Does it have to be your own original design? No, but please make sure you give full credit to the designer of the original piece of beaded jewelry, along with a link to where you found the pattern or design when you post your blog.
- Post your beaded Edwardian jewelry creation on your blog on or before the reveal date of February 1, 2014, and make sure you come back here to post the link to your blog. I'll round up all the links and put them into a single blog on the reveal date so that we can all admire the gorgeous Edwardian beaded jewelry!
|Pearls for the Lady earrings from Elegant Edwardian Jewelry|
Need some more inspiration for Edwardian-inspired jewelry designs? Here are a few links to get you started! Have fun, and get busy beading, my friends!
- Elegant Edwardian Jewelry: 12 Designs Inspired by England's Gilded Age
- Edwardian jewelry from Earthly Adornments
- Edwardian jewelry on eBay
Do you have any great links to Edwardian inspired jewelry designs? Leave a comment and post them here for us to see! Hope to see you all back with some fabulous Edwardian-inspired jewelry on February 1!